• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Returning to Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming the cut version. Maybe I'll watch it since I haven't before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Are you talking about the old Ocean Group? I assume they're going to show the new FUNi dub.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Are you talking about the old Ocean Group? I assume they're going to show the new FUNi dub.

Funimation is redoing the original dubs that were done until midway into the Freeza Saga, when Funimation took over the job. In the process, they are producing it uncut, unlike the original job, and staying truer to the original, removing phrases like "he's passing on to the next dimension" where "he's dying" is the real thing. Therefore, it will fit more uniformly with the rest of the series that Funimation has done before. It's likely that after they have made the episodes uncut for DVD, they will be cut to normal standards like other DBZ episodes.

It'll be interesting to see how this does in the ratings...
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Methid Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The headline only mentions that DBZ will return to CN's daily schedule. Are you sure they'll be showing the new edits of the first two seasons? Unless I'm missing something...

-- Sam the Methid Man

[edit - default font'ed -b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess its gonna show up when DBGT is finished on CN on the night spot at 10:30.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I assume they're going to show the new FUNi dub.

I strongly doubt it because the Funimation's re-dub of the 1st seasons is uncut only, there is no edited version of it. CN will probably just show Seasons 3+.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised to hear that movie 10 is their highest-selling DBZ movie out of the gate. I figured 5 or 6 would hold that spot.

I wonder how they'll market movie 11. It's an absolute piece of garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
I'm actually surprised to hear that movie 10 is their highest-selling DBZ movie out of the gate. I figured 5 or 6 would hold that spot.

I wonder how they'll market movie 11. It's an absolute piece of garbage.

The same way they've marketed the first 10 movies...I'm suprized that Movie 10 is so popular I thought it was kinda bland (compared to Broli's first movie).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
I can see why - "Oh my apple pie, Broly is BACK! That first movie with him was so cool! I'm gonna buy this right away!"

I'll probably be watching this when it starts airing, considering there's nothing better to do at that time. And just to see some of my all time favorite moments again.

"Time for the DESTRUCTO DISK!"
"HOLY CRAP NAPPA DON'T STAND THERE"
"HAHAHA THIS WILL BE NOTHING"
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
I can see why - "Oh my apple pie, Broly is BACK! That first movie with him was so cool! I'm gonna buy this right away!"

Yeah, won't they be disappointed.

Their marketing for movie 10 focused greatly on the fact that Brolly was back. The same won't work for 11, though, as Brolly appears in his humanoid form for all of 2 minutes. He's literally a purple blob for the rest. I can see it now: "Everyone's favorite movie villian is back, again, only THIS time he's made of liquid."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

I strongly doubt it because the Funimation's re-dub of the 1st seasons is uncut only, there is no edited version of it. CN will probably just show Seasons 3+.

The whole point of showing DBZ once again is that Funimation has a new version of the first parts of it. They'll edit it for TV and show it that way. What is the point of showing the DBZ that everyone has already seen when most fans have already moved onto DBGT?
cubs2084

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Izlude wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

The whole point of showing DBZ once again is that Funimation has a new version of the first parts of it. They'll edit it for TV and show it that way. What is the point of showing the DBZ that everyone has already seen when most fans have already moved onto DBGT?

Most fans stupidly refuse to accept GT, pointing out a number of "faults" (my favorite of which is "But Akira Toriyama didn't make it!") and using it as an excuse. They just fail to realize that most of the problems that exist in GT already existed by the Buu saga in DBZ.

Anyway, Funimation has only released the first DVD (3 episodes) of the revamped early episodes, so I kind of doubt they'll skip way ahead of the DVD releases on tv.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
Anyway, Funimation has only released the first DVD (3 episodes) of the revamped early episodes, so I kind of doubt they'll skip way ahead of the DVD releases on tv.

I doubt your doubt.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Izlude wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Or completely dismissed the series as a marketing whore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3