• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon X & Y's 2 New Legendary Pokémon Named

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmarZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
"Eviltall" is mine although the other one looks fabulous Cool
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking the bird looked pretty wicked, I'm betting it'll be a rather evil oriented creature with a name like that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why people think it'll be evil. It's just the way that French name is pronounced and both of them have French names.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The deer looks weird lol. The bird looks alright, but I can tell that they are slowly running out of ideas
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Xerneas looks badass
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
would definitely pick up Xerneas...IF I HAD A 3DS! Sad
MopZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if we'll be able to customize our character at some point in the franchise? I don't think we will, but using 3D models would give us the option to do so. Not that much, but a bit.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The deer looks weird lol. The bird looks alright, but I can tell that they are slowly running out of ideas

No they haven't. Everyone says this but they never actually give proof.

Anyway, I wish they would actually reference real-world mythology a little more for the legendaries, but maybe I've just been playing a little too much Persona.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
MopZ wrote:
I wonder if we'll be able to customize our character at some point in the franchise? I don't think we will, but using 3D models would give us the option to do so. Not that much, but a bit.

I've actually heard some theorizing that maybe there is a little customization ability, based on that shot in the trailer where the MC is in front of the mirror. It's all just guessing at the moment of course, but I'm hoping it's true. I'd love to have some customizing options.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunarBluestone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
They both look really cool, Xerneas especially. Speaking of which, doesn't he look similar to the Forest Spirit in Princess Mononoke?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Anyway, I wish they would actually reference real-world mythology a little more for the legendaries, but maybe I've just been playing a little too much Persona.

There's already tons of Pokemon based on myths. Raikou based on the Raiju, Yukimenoko is based on Yukionna, Kucheat is based on Futakuchionna, Nokocchi is based on Tsuchinoko, Nyula is based on Kamaitachi, Runpappa is based on Kappa, Dirteng based on Tengu, Kyukon based on Kyuubi, Kirinriki based on Kirin, and tons more. The most obvious is probably Houou being based on, well, Houou.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I, for one, just cannot wait to catch Redesigned Verizion and Redesigned Lugia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
Just translating this for those who don't know the Japanese Pokemon names as well as we do:

TitanXL wrote:
Raikou based on the Raiju, Yukimenoko is based on Yukionna, Kucheat is based on Futakuchionna, Nokocchi is based on Tsuchinoko, Nyula is based on Kamaitachi, Runpappa is based on Kappa, Dirteng based on Tengu, Kyukon based on Kyuubi, Kirinriki based on Kirin, and tons more. The most obvious is probably Houou being based on, well, Houou.

1) Raikou is possibly based on a Japanese mythological animal that shoots lightning bolts and cries thunder.
2) Frosslass is most definitely based on the Snow Woman, a Japanese myth of a woman who lures in tired travelers in snowy mountains and the likes and then turns into a demon and eats them when they are asleep.
3) Mawhile is possibly based on a Japanese myth of a girl who has an extra, evil face on the back of her head.
4) Dunsparce is based on an actual snake (that has Japanese myths around it, though this may or may not actually be relevant).
5) Sneasel is possibly based on these nightmarish weasels that speed around with the wind and play harmful pranks on people.
6) Ludicolo is possibly based on a kappa, the Japanese myth of a humanoid turtle sprite creature with a bald spot on its head.
7) Shiftry is likely based on a tengu, which is a Japanese mythological creature that has a long nose and plays pranks on people, usually with wind, conjured by their three-leaf fans, which Shiftry's hands resemble.
8) Ninetails is based on the Japanese nine-tailed fox. Derp.
9) Girafarig is based on a giraffe ("kirin")... no duh. But the word "kirin" suggests it might also have some inspiration from the legendary "kirin," a giraffe/lizard/ox/dog thingy that usually signifies protection and spirit, and is one of the most important Chinese-derived animal legends in Japan. Arceus may be based off this as well, btw.
10) Ho-oh is based on the legendary bird of fire and longevity, sometimes called the "Japanese/Chinese Phoenix."

Actual legendaries, though, are interesting. Gen 1's Mew and Mewtwo are scientific (obviously), Ho-oh and Lugia possibly resemble Buddhism and Shinto, respectively. Jirachi (my favorite!) is based on Tanabata, a Japanese wishing-star festival with a background story, the legendary beasts/dogs resemble guardian deities in Japan and China, gen 4 legendary Pokemon seem to resemble Greek/Roman-like creation myths, and even Reshiram and Zekrom, as well as Kyurem, resemble Yin-Yang and the emptiness that results from the absence of both. And don't forget the new musketeers, the 3rd gen environmentalist statements, the 1st gen elemental birds, the alien, the kami trio, etc. Pokemon have a lot of background to them...
Etrien

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
Plus Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza seem to be intentional parallels to the Judaic/Biblical Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz.

Spellings may be off though. I tend to play the main pokemon games when they come out, and then shelve and forget about them. I'll probably pick this one up, as well. Pokemon Y, probably. Chromosomes, yo.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Plus Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza seem to be intentional parallels to the Judaic/Biblical Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz.

That might be pushing it a bit. They look more like ancient creatures like the first whales, dinosaurs, and mythological dragons, and they correspond to the common elemental relationship of water, land, and air (Kingdom Hearts anyone?) found in Buddhism and Shinto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2