• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GJ Club (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
GJ-bu (TV)

Themes: moe, school

I know from the very begginning that I am going to love this, it is a little moe show that plays off of each character's eccentricities in fun little ways. Yes, I know that sounds incredibly unoriginal and that I really should be sighing that they throw out another of these shows, but I really think the formulae here can work.

We have a childish pres (Mao) with a Napoleon complex, she especially reminds me of Sakurano Kurimu, but still she seems to drift apart in that she feels fresh. For one she seems to be against the other members in making appear mature, one of the first shots having her try the hopeless task fixing lights. Her choice disliking shojo due to being embarassed by the kissing, but jumping at the chance of a bridal carry in a shounen, making it look like her friend is scarey, and taking food.

Next is the pink haired girl (Megumi) who seems to be the perfect beauty, though it is hard to get a lock on her with episode 1, as she seemed a little too perfect. How she was with the spider actually felt a little scary, it might be that she enjoys messing around. Then there is the blue haired girl (Shion), she appears to a big genius that you could think of as the secretary or the sidekick to a boss character, though she is not perfect in with general knowlege, a typical ojousama trait. But she also seems to be a bit of a troll, the difference being that she seems to give no evidence when she is messing around making it a little hard to guess what she actually thinks, instead of speaking sarcastically she sounds normal.

Lastly we have the cat eared girl (Kiara), her animal ears and big eater trait makes her the perfect candidate for being the pet character, although this is prevented by the fact she is practically a giant and thus comes off as intimidating. She spent most of the episode just eating meat, but she also seemed to take a likeing to main character, the explanation that she found him a superior but not Mao felt rather humorous, she does come of rather innocent though. Main character (Kyouya) has little traits yet except for audience insert, but he was used well as being picked on.

The character designs are not the super deformed thing you might expect from a super moe anime, and really the heads are smaller than you usuall get in the genre. But I found the designs super moe anyway, watching ED highlighted how adorable I found Mao's cat smile and Megumi is great too. Perhaps I just can't describe it. Anyway the OP instantly drew me in, I am a sucker for the seperate talking bits and then singing together, with the main tune pullinng it together, and the various moe images without being over the top were great.

Will be watching.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
After watching the first episode, I got Setokai no Ichizon vibes, as they basically have 2 of the same characters with the same jobs. Both shows have presidents that are innocent loli types who get embarrassed at the mention of kissing. Both shows also have smart secretaries, who love to tease the other members. When I saw moe, I thought it would be more like Acchi Kochi, but it didn't really any exaggerated cute faces. I liked it anyways and I will continue watching it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
A nice cute little dumb unpretentious comedy series. Nothing serious, nothing heavy, just a nice watch. These ones are hard to recommend because you have to be the right mood to really accept them for what they are: not much. I get some people can't stand aimless anime like these, and well, it just ain't for them, and I'm glad these too have become a common staple of at least one a season. You don't really need much more than that.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A nice cute little dumb unpretentious comedy series. Nothing serious, nothing heavy, just a nice watch. These ones are hard to recommend because you have to be the right mood to really accept them for what they are: not much. I get some people can't stand aimless anime like these, and well, it just ain't for them, and I'm glad these too have become a common staple of at least one a season. You don't really need much more than that.

Makes me wish that this series was licensed. I wouldn't mind watching it whenever I was bored and needed something to watch.

At least the threads for it on /a/ are fun to read as they always delve into waifu wars.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
not much to say other than it was cute and funny. I'll keep watching
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
liked the arm-wresting skit the most
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This show's more amusing than it is laugh out loud funny, but it's still nice to just be able to sit back and enjoy a bright and colourful show like this.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kyoya got trolled hard. poor guy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Really can't blame him when he becomes another clueless harem lead. The girls troll him so much of course he wouldn't think any of them seriously had feelings for him.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Imouto kittaaaaa!! Very Happy

And it looks like Kirara is from Canada. Awesome. There aren't nearly enough Canadians in anime.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
YA BEST EPISODE! JEALOUS LOVESTRUCK IMOUTOS ARE THE BEST.

That scene with Kasumi and the president meeting reminded me of that Clannad scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAziBVp0l-Q
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
All the imoutos are awesome. I enjoy this series quite a bit. Looking forward to more hairbrushing and the introduction of Tamaki/Green next week.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
So Mori-san, best character, right? A panicky Megu is fine too. Hopefully we will find out what the other 7 Sumeragi brothers do for a living before the show ends
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So Mori-san, best character, right?

NOPE! IT IS HANDSDOWN KASUMI!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Mori-san is pretty damn awesome, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5