• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DBZ uncut on Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
wha?

guess funimation's trying to clean up their image. so what is their definition of uncut? i still can't see how much they're gonna be able to get away with on Toonami.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
well hell haft froze over this will be intresting to see...this will be the second program Toonami shown uncut (the first being New Mobile Report Gundam Wing)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wha?

guess funimation's trying to clean up their image. so what is their definition of uncut? i still can't see how much they're gonna be able to get away with on Toonami.

"We can't show Gohan's pee-pee, BUT, we can heap the glorious ammounts of uber violence you come to like!!"
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Just because it's "uncut" does not mean it's "unedited".

About the only thing we know is that it'll be rated TV-PG, outside of Toonami and outside of the Adult Swim block (though just before AS).

What I'm hoping is that this will help "Naruto" get a TV-PG rating when it premieres later down the road.
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
I agree. These are the recently re-dubbed early eps of DBZ that are coming out on DVD right now. While we'll probably see more left in than the original dub of these eps, I seriously doubt they'll be completely unedited on CN. Rather than calling it "DBZ Uncut," CN shoulda labeled it "DBZ Re-dubbed."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm actually looking forward to the unedited/uncut DVD release. I've been wanting to see DBZ in it's original form since I was little.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:35 am Reply with quote
Remember back in the days of VHS when FUNimation kept coming out with "Uncut" DBZ tapes that still had altered music, tons of dialouge changes, and different openings and endings? "Uncut" is an awfully subjective term after all. I'll be watching to see if it's really uncut or just kinda-sorta.
Marrshu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote
I do wonder how this is uncut. FUNimation's english version is always censored. My bet this means that it's uncut "Video" wise, but not "Audio" wise, much like their so called "uncut" DVDs.
bluechibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
You guys are being silly Razz

If it says uncut that means nothing has been cut as the previous poster said, video wise. That means everything else will still be the same (likely). So if you like violence that had previously been taken out, then you'll enjoy it. If you like listening to the Japanese themes and reading the extremely long Episode titles, then probably not.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:13 am Reply with quote
There is no "Uncut" English version of DBZ. The Music will still be changed, the scripting will still be edited and mostly made up and characterization will still be changed to suit their feelings.
The only way you will ever get real "uncut" DragonBall Z is if The original Japanese version was aired with English Subtitles.
DBZ will still be edited on CartoonNetwork. I would rather dubb fans hear the OST then have 100% uncut video.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
Cool. I thought Toonami was on Saturday?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Some people don't seem to know what "uncut" means. "Uncut" and "unedited" mean two different things. If it's uncut, then there won't be a whole scene or part of a scene removed. This does not mean that it is unedited. They still may use a well placed leaf to cover "Gohan's pee-pee" or change some dialogue (or monologue) to make it more appropriate for their target audience. In other words, for the uncut DBZ airing, everything will be there, but some things might be covered up or slightly altered.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
This does not mean that it is unedited. They still may use a well placed leaf to cover "Gohan's pee-pee" or change some dialogue (or monologue) to make it more appropriate for their target audience. In other words, for the uncut DBZ airing, everything will be there, but some things might be covered up or slightly altered.

Yeah. If you want to see Gohan twig and berries, you got to pay alittle extra. If you want to hear them say "!$#%@ Goku!", you got pay alittle extra. Goke visit to Hell, you pay alittle extra.

But compare it the verison that use to be on CN before, atleast Gohan robot friend will finally get his episode and that goofy episode count will be back to normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
ain't this just a ploy to milk a series beyond its grave?

er...
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
This is realy going to be very intresting to watch. unCut and unEdited must be seen as two difrent things like said before, but that does not change the fact that this is a hughe step for CN, and Funimation.
I know I will be tuning in to see this. I hope all of you do the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4