• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Barnes & Noble Stocks Drop After Nook Profit Warning

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Not Barnes and Noble too!!! I know their books are slightly more expensive than the ones at Books a million, but they also have a much much wider variety. I mean, Books a Million just stopped selling my favorite manga of all time "Yotsuba&!" and that's been a New York Times best seller lots of times, oh I hope they get back into shape, I'd hate to see my second favorite book store go under like my favorite book store did.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
NOOKS = DEATH OF PHYSICAL BOOK STORES.

Online Media and Physical book stores don't mix together. That's what killed off Borders. :/
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
You have to admire Tom Nook. He's got a sweet ass.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like the end of B&N is near. This really sucks.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote
Our family are die hard book readers, but in the last 6 months we've bought a Nook Tablet and Kindle Paperwhite eReader. Those are now the preferred reading mediums for our two most voracious readers, my middle Son and my Wife. My other two Sons read mostly off of their PC's along with me.

We won't stop buying physical media, but I don't see us doing the dollar amount of business that we once did.

B&N is too big for the customer base they have now so naturally they are facing some tough decisions. Time will tell, it always does.

Mark Gosdin
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
#Close the door and get off the floor, everybody kill the dinosaur.#
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Sounds like this isn't books vs E-readers but the Nook can't compete with the kindle.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
A Book's not a Book less its paper dag nab it, i'll sink with my physical ship. Don't let all those poor trees die in vain!

But yeah sad to see B&N Not doing so hot, guess their Nook just can't compete with Amazon's kindle. Poor guys.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
looks more and more like Right Stuf and Amazon are going to be my only places to get manga Sad
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
People ought to realize how much like Borders BAM! is. B&N's service is terrible.
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
well I'll give you that that's why I don't go there that much that and its to far away form my place I miss going to Borders after I get off work I would always buy manga and also use to buy Shonen Jump Magazine Sad
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
As I have posted before if Barnes & Noble don't get their act together soon the future will be no more bookstores like we have here in Puerto Rico and also forget about comic and manga books as well can't find them here either what a bummer.
PansyWansyLinsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely hope that this isn't a sign of worse things to come for B&N. Brick and mortar book stores are my sanctuaries and B&N has been a long time store favorite of mine. I didn't realize they posted low holiday sales this past year because if the store in our town is any indication, you wouldn't know it. It was packed around the holidays and it's consistently busy year round. We have a Books-a-Million in town that's more central in terms of location, but B&N consistently gets more shoppers on a daily basis.

Also, I much prefer their online store to Amazon. Lately, most of my online manga purchases have come straight from B&N than Amazon. If you're a member of their club, they ship to you for free regardless of price and amount of items purchase. Couple that with the coupons they frequently send me and I almost always save more money with them than with Amazon without the hassle of having to purchase at least 25 dollars worth of items.

I won't even get into Books-a-Million online. I've only purchased from them once and they charged me a shipping fee as well as a stocking fee (or whatever it was). Although I think the online store and the actual stores operate independently.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
As I have posted before if Barnes & Noble don't get their act together soon the future will be no more bookstores like we have here in Puerto Rico and also forget about comic and manga books as well can't find them here either what a bummer.

I wonder how long until all comic book stores are gone from the US as well.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a Nook/eReader/tablet of any kind. While I have no problem reading WSJA on my computer (that's the most practical medium for them to release it), I like physical books.

You won't see me be one to lament the move to digital in many places, but really physical books need to stay. I don't like tablets. I hate, hate, hate touch screens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2