• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sentimental Graffiti Arrives on U.S. PSN in Japanese

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
How in the world is anyone (who isn't fluent in Japanese) going to be able to play this? Sony offers zero translations for the import PSone classics. Or does this game not involve much text? Seems like it does. Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
How the hell does that guy have almost 300000 yen in that screenshot.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
How the hell does that guy have almost 300000 yen in that screenshot.

I'm wondering that myself

also a visual novel made it to the psn?? granted it's not translated but i'm in shock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 am Reply with quote
no translation? baww, I'd play the game just for that nostalgic '98 romantic atmosphere
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Certainly an interesting choice, considering there's no translation. At least more import titles are being put out.

Also, MOTORHEAD GAME??? Very Happy (does quick search, game has nothing to do with the band) What? Mad
chao8971

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
I wish they would offer some kinda translation guide or something like that. I'm sure there is on a few of the games, but really I'm never sure where to go for things like that. The PSN post mentioned a few RPG games that look like a blast, but there is no way I could play them if they are in pure Japanese.

I've gotten Action and Fighting games off of the Japanese PSN before but since there is a small amount of text there is usually not a problem. With a RPG where hours of reading and story is involved I don't know if I could do it.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
I wish they would offer some kinda translation guide or something like that. I'm sure there is on a few of the games, but really I'm never sure where to go for things like that. The PSN post mentioned a few RPG games that look like a blast, but there is no way I could play them if they are in pure Japanese.

I've gotten Action and Fighting games off of the Japanese PSN before but since there is a small amount of text there is usually not a problem. With a RPG where hours of reading and story is involved I don't know if I could do it.

If you can't find a translation guide for a game on GameFAQs then you can be 95% sure there isn't one. GameFAQs is the place to go for playing import games. So many great guides are on there

On another note, how more awesome would it be if Japan decided to fully support Romaniji. Would make learning Japanese way easier and simpler.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
This seriously confuses me. I'm all for having more visual novels brought over. But not when they're untranslated. Defeats the whole purpose of finding an audience, since you end up with even less people buying it due to a difference in language.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
I would be interested, but this really kills the purpose of doing this. Yes, it would be a pain to hunt down a physical copy, but the only people who would speak Japanese. So, this release is going for the ever-so lucrative market of English, French or Spanish speakers who also happen to speak Japanese and like visual novels.

Yeah, that'll be a huge market.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
GungHo's justification for this is just stupid too: "we figured we would give players a chance at these classics that would have otherwise never seen American shores." http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/12/gungho-bringing-six-more-psone-imports-to-north-america/#comment-827870

With no translation. Real nice, guys. REAL NICE. I don't own a PS3 but if I did (and I wish I did) this would not be a purchase. Waste of money if you can't be bothered to translate the text.

And this is coming from someone who wants to play the PC-98 version of Policenauts, completely raw.
chao8971

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:

If you can't find a translation guide for a game on GameFAQs then you can be 95% sure there isn't one. GameFAQs is the place to go for playing import games. So many great guides are on there

On another note, how more awesome would it be if Japan decided to fully support Romaniji. Would make learning Japanese way easier and simpler.

I was afraid of the GameFAQs thing. I was wanting to try out First Queen IV, but the guide was not up there. I was kinda hoping there was some big translation guide site I was missing.

Yeah I can agree on the Romaniji thing. My friend is taking a Japanese class right now and is still lost on Kanji. He can read Katakana alright now, but since Kanji is used as well he is having a ton of problems.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="blaizevincent"]
chao8971 wrote:

Or people could just get off of their lazy butts and learn the full language (Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji). What your asking for is like asking for English or any other language to be simplified and watered down. At the end of the day, Japanese is a Language(which, like all languages, is an inherently difficult thing to master), you either make the effort to learn it or you don't (there are no shortcuts).

As far as this game is concerned, It sounds interesting and I would probably be interested in buying it if I had a PS3.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
What your asking for is like asking for English or any other language to be simplified and watered down.
A number of people have called for their native written tongues to be simplified; especially when Japan was first opening back up to the world, a number of people proposed to drop kanji and even kana. Of course, these days they face even less chance of success than Germans pushing for the readoption of black letter.
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the "in Japanese" part, I thought that meant that it would be a Japanese-dubbed game with English text, but nope, it's completely Japanese. And the fact that this is a dating sim makes the idea of this coming to the US store unchanged completely ridiculous, as I really doubt that there's more to the game than pictures of girls, blocks of Japanese text, and choices for you to make, written, of course, in Japanese.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
If you ever wondered how much having your own real harem would cost, this game will tell you exactly!

dont expect a translation, NEC is basically out of the gaming world and have not posted a profit. This is just one of those salvaged properties and the rights were bought by another company, I belive they also own Atlus that makes persona series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2