• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime at Wal-mart for only $1

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard55

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yesteday I was looking through some of those one dollar dvds at wal-mart and I found 3 old anime and I bought all 3 for one dollar each. They included "The World of Hans Chrisitan Anderson", "Panda and the Magic Serpent(the 1st anime ever in the usa), and "the wizard of oz and friends(a bunch of cartoon shorts and the only anime one is the 5 minute wizard of oz short on the dvd)

now, I found this so awesome seeing these old movies for 1 dollar each Very Happy But, If anyone can help me figure out what is the original name of this wizard of oz anime I would really appreciate it...The same one was released years ago on a vhs tape called "My Favorite Fairy Tales, Vol. 4" and the trailr can be viewed at www.videodetective.com
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
yea, I saw those, in the soft slim cases right? I flipped through as many as I could looking for something I wanted, there were a lot of discs of vintage cartoons, but they all looked american to me, not that I don't like Betty Boop or the Roadrunner and stuff, but I'd rather buy them in bigger sets than just one disc with random episodes. Mostly it appeared to be a lot of old and lesser known American films, at least at the Walmart here. They were mostly garbage, but I got "Till the Clouds Roll By" it's not for everyone, but I like it. I would have got some of the classic cartoons if I'd had more money on me. But props to you for spotting some anime in there. I just didn't have time to scrutinize what I was looking at. They seemed to be mostly garbage.
wizard55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
yeah most of it is just old american cartoons and stuff that I dont care for but lately I've been finding lots of anime..new and old for cheap at k-mart, walgreens, big lots, etc. dvds of Chobits, Master Keaton, Tecnhi Muyo, etc for only $3-4 My question is why and how can they release these at such low prices when they are usually at SRP $30??? It could be bad sales but chobits is very popular and most of these titles I've seen and bought are Geneon titles. Is it for promotion or something? whatever the reason I love it!! the other day at a local "Dollar General" I bough for 3 dollars each.. The first volumes of Beyblade, Gatekeepers, and Tenchi Muyo.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
No way, can you tell me more about these volumes? Were they just one episode on the volumes or something? I agree, it's weird to see Chobits for that cheap, it's pretty popular. I'm gonna have to swing by K-Mart and Walgreen, I never go in those places but you've got me curious. I need Tenchi, so I'm on it man. And thanks for the info. Smile
wizard55

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
They are the regular dvds with 3 to 4 episodes you find at suncoast and best buy but for 3 dollars.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That's amazing, the best thing I've ever seen were Project Arms and Ranma 1/2 regular volumes for $6.99 at the video store. And I thought that was pretty amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1