• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax & Subaru's Hōkago no Pleiades Anime Gets Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell is making useless movies the new trend in anime?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
Why the hell is making useless movies the new trend in anime?

Useless movies in whos opinion? One random foreigner who isn't even going to Japanese movie theaters?

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, making films seems to be the popular thing to do now. It's been mixed results so for addenda films, but I really hope it causes more original projects as well.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Heh, I was just wishing the other day that they'd make more of this. Colour me excited.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Arent these movies mostly for people who were not able to see the series itself? Thats why the Madoka movies were made. It's only 'useless' for people stateside.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Arent these movies mostly for people who were not able to see the series itself? Thats why the Madoka movies were made. It's only 'useless' for people stateside.

Except there's nobody who wasn't able to see Madoka legally. It was released on affordable DVD's and put on Hulu and Crunchyroll in its entirety. The first two Madoka movies were pretty much a pure cash-grab.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Except there's nobody who wasn't able to see Madoka legally. It was released on affordable DVD's and put on Hulu and Crunchyroll in its entirety. The first two Madoka movies were pretty much a pure cash-grab.

In the US and Japan. In my country, Hulu is region blocked, the there is no company to license the DVD's, and even Crunchy which is supposed to be more widespread doesn't have Madoka available for my region. The movies will soon get screenings in some major cities but that's all for legal goes

I really hate this attitude of "since it got legal release in the US, then there's no reason for anyone anywhere to not be able to watch this legally"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
So, Subaru has this, and GM has Transformers. Get going on that Miku film, Toyota! Laughing
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

In the US and Japan. In my country, Hulu is region blocked, the there is no company to license the DVD's, and even Crunchy which is supposed to be more widespread doesn't have Madoka available for my region. The movies will soon get screenings in some major cities but that's all for legal goes

I really hate this attitude of "since it got legal release in the US, then there's no reason for anyone anywhere to not be able to watch this legally"

Agreed. In my country too, I can't watch most new anime on Crunchy or Hulu or Funi or anything. Anime is a very VERY small thing here. We used to have Animax but it usually takes some time for new anime to come out there. Plus, Animax is now slowly leaving most channel providers. I don't think it's popular enough.
Still, I do my best and try to import some manga from Japan.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
Yay!!! After a year and a half of waiting for more news about this concept I was starting to think they weren't going to do any more with it, but I guess good things come to those who wait! The web shorts were cuter than cute and I bet this will be too. I wonder if it'll be a sequel to the shorts or a completely fresh start?

I hope I get the chance to see this one day!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

That's why compilation films were made before video tape, but it's not the case anymore. Even in the 80s, the compilations for stuff like Layzner and Galient or what have you were done as OVAs over films. The compilations these days are just a quick way to may a buck.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Compilations have their place because not everyone wants to dedicate their time to catching an episode every week or watching a bunch all at once. They can watch a movie that covers all the best parts and move on. Believe it or not not everyone likes to watch things for extended periods of time. Some people simply can't, especially when they're working two jobs or have kids to watch, getting out to a movie makes a whole lot more sense.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

Agreed. In my country too, I can't watch most new anime on Crunchy or Hulu or Funi or anything. Anime is a very VERY small thing here. We used to have Animax but it usually takes some time for new anime to come out there. Plus, Animax is now slowly leaving most channel providers. I don't think it's popular enough.
Still, I do my best and try to import some manga from Japan.

Ehhh Animax still has anime in your country? Where I live, Animax slowly started to get rid of all anime, pushing it to the late night slots (2-6 am), then became "Sony Spin" about two years ago, and since then became Sony's adolescent-aimed network
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1