• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Grudge's Shimizu Helms Live-Action Kiki's Delivery Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
So there IS going to be a live action! How was there an article just recently that said that there wasn't going to be one??

Other than that, I don't know how I feel about this. It might be cute though lol.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The recent article mentioned that Ghibli has NO ties with this film. So don't put this film and Ghibli in the same sentence.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
See? Hollywood isn't the only film industry out of ideas.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.

Sam Raimi was super popular in the horror crowd for his Evil Dead movies, then became really popular with the mainstream for making the Spider-Man movies and with his most recent movie Oz The Great and Powerful.

Steven Spielburg started his career in Horror with Jaws and Poltergeist and now he poops oscars for dramas and kids movies.

Steven King known for his horror titles also wrote The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and The Green Mile.

Jaime Lee Curtis was known as the scream queen in the 80's because of the amount of horror movies she starred in up till her appearance in Trading Places.

A lot of people start off in horror because it's a relatively easy genre to break in and gain an audience. Once an audience is gained, they can then choose to break out to other genres/roles and hope for the best. Some are able to break out, others aren't.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:

One name: Takeshi Miike.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
A live action kiki's delivery service movie? This does not sound like a good idea. I can't imagine they'd be able to make any of the flying scenes look good, and shudder to think of what a CG talking cat will look like. Oh well, I'm sure the Japanese fans will see it in droves and be completely forgiving on the special effects.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
A lot of people start off in horror because it's a relatively easy genre to break in and gain an audience. Once an audience is gained, they can then choose to break out to other genres/roles and hope for the best. Some are able to break out, others aren't.

Can't forget Peter Jackson.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:

Sam Raimi was super popular in the horror crowd for his Evil Dead movies, then became really popular with the mainstream for making the Spider-Man movies and with his most recent movie Oz The Great and Powerful.

Steven Spielburg started his career in Horror with Jaws and Poltergeist and now he poops oscars for dramas and kids movies.

Steven King known for his horror titles also wrote The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and The Green Mile.

Jaime Lee Curtis was known as the scream queen in the 80's because of the amount of horror movies she starred in up till her appearance in Trading Places.

Okay, I sort of see your point, but I wouldn't say that Steven Spielburg started out in horror. His early works are quite varied, judging by his filmography.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
See? Hollywood isn't the only film industry out of ideas.

That's ironic, considering that even Miyazaki's movie wasn't original, and was based on the same series of novels.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Witness the blood!
Shrink at the gore!
Tremble at the graphic violence!
Kiki' Delivery Service, The True Story. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1