×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Grudge's Shimizu Helms Live-Action Kiki's Delivery Service




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1112
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
So there IS going to be a live action! How was there an article just recently that said that there wasn't going to be one??

Other than that, I don't know how I feel about this. It might be cute though lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Freakmasta



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Posts: 370
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The recent article mentioned that Ghibli has NO ties with this film. So don't put this film and Ghibli in the same sentence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pokenatic



Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 569
Location: Neo Venezia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
See? Hollywood isn't the only film industry out of ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outlawwolf



Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 645
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.


Sam Raimi was super popular in the horror crowd for his Evil Dead movies, then became really popular with the mainstream for making the Spider-Man movies and with his most recent movie Oz The Great and Powerful.

Steven Spielburg started his career in Horror with Jaws and Poltergeist and now he poops oscars for dramas and kids movies.

Steven King known for his horror titles also wrote The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and The Green Mile.

Jaime Lee Curtis was known as the scream queen in the 80's because of the amount of horror movies she starred in up till her appearance in Trading Places.

A lot of people start off in horror because it's a relatively easy genre to break in and gain an audience. Once an audience is gained, they can then choose to break out to other genres/roles and hope for the best. Some are able to break out, others aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sydney2K



Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Posts: 219
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.


One name: Takeshi Miike.

Widya Santoso
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kakoishii



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
A live action kiki's delivery service movie? This does not sound like a good idea. I can't imagine they'd be able to make any of the flying scenes look good, and shudder to think of what a CG talking cat will look like. Oh well, I'm sure the Japanese fans will see it in droves and be completely forgiving on the special effects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Great Rumbler



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 330
Location: Oklahoma
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
A lot of people start off in horror because it's a relatively easy genre to break in and gain an audience. Once an audience is gained, they can then choose to break out to other genres/roles and hope for the best. Some are able to break out, others aren't.


Can't forget Peter Jackson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pokenatic



Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 569
Location: Neo Venezia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that the director of this is mainly known for horror films.


Sam Raimi was super popular in the horror crowd for his Evil Dead movies, then became really popular with the mainstream for making the Spider-Man movies and with his most recent movie Oz The Great and Powerful.

Steven Spielburg started his career in Horror with Jaws and Poltergeist and now he poops oscars for dramas and kids movies.

Steven King known for his horror titles also wrote The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me and The Green Mile.

Jaime Lee Curtis was known as the scream queen in the 80's because of the amount of horror movies she starred in up till her appearance in Trading Places.

A lot of people start off in horror because it's a relatively easy genre to break in and gain an audience. Once an audience is gained, they can then choose to break out to other genres/roles and hope for the best. Some are able to break out, others aren't.


Okay, I sort of see your point, but I wouldn't say that Steven Spielburg started out in horror. His early works are quite varied, judging by his filmography.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay



Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Posts: 304
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
See? Hollywood isn't the only film industry out of ideas.


That's ironic, considering that even Miyazaki's movie wasn't original, and was based on the same series of novels.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8202
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Witness the blood!
Shrink at the gore!
Tremble at the graphic violence!
Kiki' Delivery Service, The True Story. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group