• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jury Finds in Favor of IMDb in Actress Trial

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Even if its against their ToS, how can they then go ahead and put her real birthday in there, through what seems to be a violation of privacy, and not just blank out her birthday, unless of course not putting in a date of birth is also against their ToS also... blah what a crappy situation.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I personally find it bizarrre that her real age would hinder her work, supposedly. I think her appearance would be more important for that once she turned into a legal adult
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Even if its against their ToS, how can they then go ahead and put her real birthday in there, through what seems to be a violation of privacy, and not just blank out her birthday, unless of course not putting in a date of birth is also against their ToS also... blah what a crappy situation.

even if they put her real birthday in there. She still has no right for 1 million dollars.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 am Reply with quote
At first I saw that and got a little angry, and thought it was the jury just not caring about artists (since most people don't care about artists, especially actors.) But I didn't know the stuff about falsifying documents.
No matter how badly something's going to affect you, or how much you deserve something, there are just some things that are like taking a chainsaw to any leverage you might have had. Falsifying documents is one of those things. Lying on a resume, too. That sort of thing.
Also, it does affect her ability to get work - it's sort of a sexist thing, like it only matters for women. But they are less likely to cast someone older. Remember, unless you're a big Hollywood star, commercials and the like are what pays the bills for most actors.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Sounds to me, they're both in the wrong. Junie Hoang provided false information, breaching the terms of service, and IMDB used her credit card information without permission, breaching her privacy.

It's not like she's done a whole lot anyway. The only credit of her's I recognize is the original Chun-Li in the ADV UK dub of the Street Fighter anime. She's apparently been in a lot of live action stuff since.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree with PurpleWarrior. I don't think they should have found in her favor, but they shouldn't've found in IMDb's, either.
clawfinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Their site, their rules. Grats to IMDB.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I blame Hollywood's sexism for this. She wouldn't have to lie if the industry didn't discriminate against older actresses to begin with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1