• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The English script used is as tight as it could possibly be and still be in English; I had to watch most of an episode before I was convinced that there was just enough variance that I wasn’t watching “dubtitles.”

I question your use of the word "dubtitles" here. Isn't it possible that the dub and sub scripts are very similar because the dub script is an alteration of the sub script and not the other way around, as the word "dubtitle" implies? I'm just wondering if you meant it that way or meant it differently and it didn't quite come through clearly.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
I think he means that the script was so close that it was hard to believe that they didn't simply rip the DUB SCRIPT and put it in the subs... which they didn't...

at least, that's the implication I got Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
DKL is correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Oh SNAP! Laughing

Anyway, I'm gonna go get this soon... just need to get some money in order...

Wait a minute... I dunno a lot about JAPANESE CULTURE *or any culture*, but I'm under the impression that the RUGBY EPISODE is like a parody of... something...

can someone elaborate on this?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:59 am Reply with quote
Sports anime/manga are fairly common in Japan, although they rarely are imported across the Pacific. (Perhaps because sports stories have long been a staple of American movies, so they wouldn't be as distinctive?) While I have seen very little for sports anime, it's my understanding that most of that episode (especially the part on TV in the beginning) is a parody of sports anime in general.

And I guess they chose rugby because it's one of the rougher sports out there, and that suited their purposes. Didn't think it was popular in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Actually, episode 11 (the second half of the hot-springs episodes) featured not only Gundam SEED parodies, but also parodies from the original Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 series.

The "panties breaking up" vision Kazama saw was a tribute to SEED mode in Gundam SEED. However, his entire action scene was a tribute to Amuro Ray single-handedly taking down 12 Rick Doms near side 6. His line "I can see! I can see the enemy!" (Mieru!) was a classic line said by both Amuro and Char when their NewType abilities fully awakened, allowing them to predict the enemy's movements. This was followed by a "Newtype Flash" (the light *ring* and strike of lightning with visions of the hotspring bath).

I just had to point that out, because I'm such a Gundam nut. Episodes 9 and 11 are the best episodes in the entire series.

Actually rugby is one of those more commonly played sports in Japan - although not at the level of baseball, it has a decent following in the high school sports scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1