• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psychology / mental health in Japan.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
In a number of anime I've seen that focused on touchy social issues in Japan, I took notice that characters facing some sort of social dilemma like being a hikikomori (Welcome to the NHK), getting involved in suicide pacts (NHK, Paranoia Agent) or dealing with bullying (Fruits Basket, Shigofumi) are normally persuaded by family or teachers to just try fitting in with others or the family just try to accept the issues of their child as part of the norm and support them through it. This got me curious over Japan's attitude on mental health to understand why families didn't seek out some sort of psychological help for their children or family members to deal with these issues.

From what I've researched, there's a strong social stigma to the issue of mental health in Japan and apparently, areas of Japan's health industry that deal with mental health are quite underfunded, understaffed and those who are employed in mental health are limited in understanding how to handle patients with various mental disorders. This issue appeared to be reflected in Psycho-Pass to criticize Japan's stigma on mental health considering those not of the "right mind" within the dystopian society of the series are isolated from society in institutions (permanently in most cases from what is implied, even if said people haven't committed a crime) thanks to the country's reliance on the Sibyl System.

I know of Japan's strong societal belief in group over individual needs and that it looks like it may be somewhat of a factor in why there is a strong stigma to the issue of mental health. Granted, I don't live in Japan and I don't fully understand the complex social issues faced by those living in the country. But why is the country's populace so averse to the idea of mental health treatments when there the mentioned issues I seen from anime have affected a number of those among the country's population?

If this topic isn't appropriate for this forum, I apologize. But considering there are anime titles that delve into elements of current Japanese society, I'm curious over the country's stigma to mental health issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
I remember that when it looks like characters are suffering from some kind issue, like say something on the autistic spectrum, the characters are treated as just strange and get next to none of the help they should require. And when I or someone else brings it up it gets dismissed because apparently Japanese society does not even recognise the issues.

Some examples might be Haru from Tonari no Kaibutsu, who is obviously suffering from some sort of condition as he has a great deal of issue understanding social situations, staying focused, etc. But he is instead treated like delinquent that should learn to be normal, and series theme almost like a monster that should be on a leash. That series also had other bullying also, where it took the above mentioned "delinquent" to do anything about it.

Thinking on the whole psychology thing, it is one of my favourite genre/themes in anime, and I found that Black Rock Shooter has an interesting involvement where school actually had a guidance counsellor. I won't get into specifics, but that series itself kind of focused on how fragile someone's mental health can be, and I think it showed some interesting reactions to the issue. From people doing what they thought was easier rather than confront a problem, kind of panicking over and being aggressive when a child shows instability. And that is nothing on what happens to a particular character who is left very alone.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
One thing that has always pissed me off is Mecha Anime throwing children into war without proper psychological support. For example, Shinji and the other pilots in Neon Genesis Evangelion are the most important people on Earth. But despite their critical importance, no effort at all is made by NERV to help them cope, even though a mental breakdown could - and for two of them, does - negatively impact their piloting abilities. RahXephon is also an egregious offender with Ayato left to struggle by himself, and of course we all remember the Bright Slap from Mobile Suit Gundam.

It seems like the prevailing attitude of the Japanese is that people - even those under extreme psychological pressure - are responsible for their own mental health. Occasionally you will see a school counsellor like in Black Rock Shooter. And more common is the friends who insist on helping each other and demanding that members of their circle tell them whenever they feel down. But mostly it is up to the individual to cope with whatever challenges life throws up so that they don't trouble the group.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
I definitely think that this is a relevant and worthy discussion topic, as the conspicuous lack of mental health counseling is something that I have noticed from time to time in anime. Coming from a school employment background, I've always found it curious that a position equivalent to a guidance counselor - which is ubiquitous in American schools - is virtually nonexistent in Japanese schools portrayed in anime, with the counselor role usually subsumed into the duties of homeroom teachers. (Except perhaps in some small charter or private schools, no regular teacher in the U.S. advises students on future career and/or educational plans as Japanese teachers seem to, and "home visits" by teachers are extremely rare.)

I also fully agree with dtm42's point about mecha shows, although I think you could extend it to apply to just about any other series which potentially puts teen characters in front-line combat situations; Freezing especially comes to mind here. (Satellizer is nearly as bad as Shinji when it comes to needing some kind of counseling.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
Key, in most of the Europe cousuelor's duties usually are done by homeroom teachers, so that isn't a problem, The problem is problem with asking about help.

Anyway I would be more careful with mecha shows or light school comedies taken as social commentary. Wish-fulfilment series usually doesn't reflect the right part of reality.

I mean- look at Harry Potter. I would never ever let my children go to school that makes XIX century boarding schools of horror pale in comparison. 11 years old basically cut away from their families, taught by teachers employed on the sole base of headmaster's sympathy and said headmaster was never even close to good pedagogue, nobody does anything about youngsters being bullied by elders and teachers. Horrific? Yet millions of kids dream about reviving an owl with message.

Back to anime- if any social commentary appears in such series, there's an imprinting subconscious part of reality- like pressure of exams, modern ronins, more freedom in travelling that American kid (well, it's hard to have less of it).
Unfortunately there aren't many books that could be guide to problems of modern Japanese society. The most recent one I've read is Kerr's Dogs and Demons: Tales from the Dark Side of Japan, so any other titles will be appreciated.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Not really topic related: Key, when I went to school in Germany a lot of years ago, there was no such thing as guidance counselors in public high schools either. No idea if that changed within the last years since I am no longer living in the country, but it was definitely not just my school back then who didn't have one, but rather normal. Of course there were things like psychotherapy and counseling available for children, and used by quite a few, but outside of school, only in clinics and with registered therapists. The existence of guidance counselors always struck me as something uniquely American that I only know from movies. How does that work in other countries, I wonder?

Edit: I see EireformContinent already added experiences for other European countries.

This is definitely an interesting topic. Regarding Psycho-Pass, it didn't strike me as much a critique on the stigma of mental health issues, but rather the fear of individuality, as shown in the imprisoned artists in the show (who were not all suffering from mental health problems, some were just too creative to function in such a strictly regulated society).

But I've also read in Japan related forums how the approach towards mental health issues seems to differ from how it is in Europe/America etc. I, too, could imagine this being rooted in the emphasis of the group's needs and well being over the needs of the individual (like people not wanting to make a fuzz about their own problems, to put it simple) but it is nonetheless somewhat irritating considering the country's highly advanced medical status.

And yet we have so many fictional characters who are so deeply conflicted and are suffering from a variety of traumas and following mental issues. Meaning the awareness of people in need of some serious help should be there.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
You know that health in fiction rarely reflects the social awareness.
In XIX century we had fragile melancholic heroines with consumption and masses dying in mud from TB. Nowadays we can sigh to Sherlock or feel warm about heroine who never talks but just needs more love, but that just makes dealing with real-life mental issues harder, since people are convinced that having one is cute.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
A view on Hikkikomori from outside anime: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2334893.stm

Quote:
His mother, Yoshiko, wouldn't tell me his name, fearful that neighbours in this Tokyo suburb might discover her secret.

Quote:
Most consider hikikomori a problem within the family, rather than a psychological illness

The titular "Pet Girl" of Sakurasou is quite clearly autistic (a textbook "Idiot Savant") but while she is acknowledged as abnormal her condition is never named, and no-one is given any warnings or advice on how to deal with her.
While I've never actually read it, the manga With the Light is about raising an autistic child and, being Josei rather than seinen, deals with it from a rather more realistic perspective. Wikipedia's summary:

Quote:
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child is about a family whose son Hikaru is autistic. The manga series begins with Hikaru’s birth and how his mother Sachiko gradually comes to realize that her son is ‘different.’ Hikaru’s condition is initially faced with denial and lack of understanding within the family and extended family, and later with the prejudice, ignorance and indifference of many in society. The initial volumes focus on Hikaru’s situation at school – where the faculty is ill-equipped to deal with autistic children – and with the other special needs children in Hikaru’s class and their families.

My oldest sister used to work in a special school, although since she lives hours away I don't know a great deal about her work. My younger adopted sister is on the autistic spectrum, although somewhere near the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
And I am on the autistic spectrum, I as much as anyone can see how certain people require some help. I remember seeing a certain video that was from Japan or something that showed a train being packed with people like it was normal, and I can say that and some of the things I heard about conforming scared me.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Crowded trains are normal in countries with reliable public transport. Was it scary to you?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Crowded trains are normal in countries with reliable public transport. Was it scary to you?

Being forced into being surrounded by people with no personal space is scary, the trains I have taken in Australia have never been an issue. I have often had understanding that certain interactions can be frustrating for me, in my experience schools in Australia have a special education area that provides support that I found invaluable I have seen no evidence that such facilities exist in Japan.

I am actually going through a process at the moment which will provide help for people like myself find work without having an anxiety attack. But this is from a government that actually provide help and believe in a large spectrum that require said help.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
that just makes dealing with real-life mental issues harder, since people are convinced that having one is cute.

I see where you're getting at. But in NHK, for example, the protagonists and their various issues aren't really depicted as cute. Even if their condition (and the various problems it causes) is used to entertain us, it is done so in a very cynical and self-aware way that would leave room for the assumption that people do understand the seriousness of the situation (at least I think so).

That link was interesting, Shiroi Hane.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I understand, for me it's uncomfortable, but doesn't bother me- like deep snow that sometimes happens and you must deal with that.

There are schools in Japan with Western attitude of encouraging individuality and asking for help, with psychologists and so on, but they are exceptions.

You know how to spot Japanese in international group of students? He will rarely ask about anything, choke with own English and never sing a letter of complaint. And I'm talking about those who somehow had a courage to study in very middle of Europe. They are shy even for Asian standards- maybe because of language problems, since in school they are discouraged from asking for help and telling anything unless they are perfect. How they are supposed to learn language wihout practising it- they can't explain.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

While I've never actually read it, the manga With the Light is about raising an autistic child and, being Josei rather than seinen, deals with it from a rather more realistic perspective.

As soon as the spectrum was mentioned, this series came to mind. I was pretty shocked that when Hikaru was finally diagnosed with autism, nobody, including his parents, had ever heard of it. Over the course of the series, many people continue to mistake it for a personality disorder, treating it as such even after Sachiko tries to correct them. It is very difficult for Sachiko to find schools with good special ed programs. The special ed programs at schools Sachiko finds that actually have them (pretty few and far between) are severely underfunded and often stuffed into a small room far away from the main office. Hikaru continues to face some terrible social pressure and bullying because he is different and people expect him to just "fix" himself on his own. In the final volume of the series, a family relative from America visits, and Sachiko and she discuss the rather drastic differences between understanding of autism in Japan and America.

I don't live in Japan so I don't know how realistic any of this is, but the general attitude that might cause this lack of understanding shows up in a lot of anime, manga, and books.
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
With The Light deals with a boy growing up with autism, & various issues touched.

Most of the regulars in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei have some kind of personality quirk, some reflecting real social issues in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2