• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Compile Heart, Final Fantasy's Amano & Uematsu Reveal Fairy Fencer F RPG

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Not mentioned here, but most important to me, is that Tsunako (Neptunia, Date a Live) is confirmed to be back doing the actual character designs.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/08/fairy-fencer-f-uses-an-enhanced-version-of-neptunias-battle-system/

This game from Compile Heart is developed by the Neptunia team, has Yoshitaka Amano onboard as a concept artist, and Nobuo Uematsu’s band The Earthbound Papas making music. Tsunako who worked on Date A Live also the Neptunia series is Fairy Fencer F’s character designer.

Amano is only doing the concept art. I'm pretty happy about this since Tsunako is one of my favorite artists.

Oh, heres an official promo poster leaked from the magazine too:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/21oq4r4.jpg
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
I really wish someone could render Amano's style into the gaming medium. Because at that point we will know that graphics will get no better.
dcloud04

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Not mentioned here, but most important to me, is that Tsunako (Neptunia, Date a Live) is confirmed to be back doing the actual character designs.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/08/fairy-fencer-f-uses-an-enhanced-version-of-neptunias-battle-system/

This game from Compile Heart is developed by the Neptunia team, has Yoshitaka Amano onboard as a concept artist, and Nobuo Uematsu’s band The Earthbound Papas making music. Tsunako who worked on Date A Live also the Neptunia series is Fairy Fencer F’s character designer.

Amano is only doing the concept art. I'm pretty happy about this since Tsunako is one of my favorite artists.

Oh, heres an official promo poster leaked from the magazine too:

http://oi43.tinypic.com/21oq4r4.jpg

nice one evolved gameplay of neptunia and tsunako art is just <3
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Amano not doing the actual character designs? Well interests dropped now, probably just going to be the usual Compile Heart/Idea factory stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Thank god, Tsunako can draw people who don't look like famine victims.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Amano not doing the actual character designs? Well interests dropped now, probably just going to be the usual Compile Heart/Idea factory stuff.

Do you really want this in modern day graphics? That would be fugly. He's best doing concept stuff. And this is coming from someone who loves the hell out of FF6 and other games he did work for.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as how Deva Zan was pretty amazing on the art side, yes I would like that.

Of course I'd like it done by a better game company that actually has money behind their games to do his art justice and yeah I doubted they could.

But if this is the artist responsible for stuff like Neptunia, hell yeah I'd take whatever Amano does over that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do you really want this in modern day graphics? That would be fugly. He's best doing concept stuff. And this is coming from someone who loves the hell out of FF6 and other games he did work for.

seconded, unquestionabley Amano is a talented artist for concept design, however his works are not tailored in mind for translation into 3d digital models.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how you can say that his designs can not make the transfer to 3d. No one was tried in a serious matter and that movie of his never made it out. That's not to say it couldn't be done though. It's also not to say it wouldn't be a challenge. Heaven forbid someone actually try something though.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, its not too surprising seeing Amano working on a project like this.

http://kotaku.com/5952339/the-artist-behind-final-fantasy-just-wants-to-draw-cute-girls

Rahxephon91 wrote:
I really don't see how you can say that his designs can not make the transfer to 3d. No one was tried in a serious matter and that movie of his never made it out. That's not to say it couldn't be done though. It's also not to say it wouldn't be a challenge. Heaven forbid someone actually try something though.

Why have a challenge when your fanbase doesn't want that in the first place? We're talking about Compile Heart, probably the most otaku focused video game developer out there. They know their fans don't want some weird artsy looking game. They want cute girls... so it would do nothing but make it harder to adapt to 3D AND kill their sales.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
The entire point of this new brand seemed to imply they were moving away from just that very Otaku-centric crowd and making games for all of Japan. Hiring Amano and Umetsu sure seemed to be a sign they were trying to make something bigger and outside of just their small niche.

That's why I was interested. I'm not part of that audience and don't care about their games, but when you hire those two and talk about this new brand as if it's separate from your other offerings, yeah you got me looking your way.

If that was never their intent and they just wanted to make games for their audience that already eats up their games without them trying because they have cute girls. Why the hell make a big deal out of this new brand and hire people that will actually appeal outside of this niche?

But who knows? Maybe this game actually will.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Well to be fair, Nobuo already has been working with them since Neptunia Victory. He appeared in it as a NPC and contributed a few songs, so they already have a relationship with him. Only real difference here is that they added Amano... and like the link I showed, he has been interested in getting involved in something where he can draw cute girls, so its a good fit for him.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Uematsu also has contributed songs to Smash Bros among other stuff. I'm not surprised a freelancer with much game history appears in a game about game history. Inafune also was in one of them. If you told me Inafune was making a game right now, I very much doubt I think he would make a game like that.

Is Uematsu doing all the music? If yes and that's a selling point, yeah that will actually inspire an idea of your product being more than just otaku bait. Uematsu is still a big name with some power behind it. You tell me and I'm sure others he's doing the music for your game, just not contributing a few songs then yeah that means something. I'm going to expect a kind of big deal project. I doubt I'm alone.

Even with your Kotaku article, that just sounds like a very unserious reply from Amano of something he'd do on the side for fun, not something that represents his actual professional work. Deva Zan was not a cute girl thing for sure. And I would assume this game would be professional work for him and a name that Compile Heart would want to headline the game with. Or maybe they did just ask him "hey you want to draw cute girls and have fun" and he was all like "yeah I got nothing else to do". But I doubt it. They made this whole separate brand and made a big deal that their game would be a collaboration with some big names.

And that's my point, perhaps jumping the gun here yes, but I did think they were actually going to try something different from what they usually did. Like I said, I'm not part of the audience that buys their games, but you make something that appeals to me and yeah I don't care what your name is or what you've done before. Maybe it will still, but Amano not doing the character designs and a more typical artist of thier's doing it is kind of a negative. Now maybe this character designer has range and is going to deliver something else. I don't know, I guess I gotta see.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
All I see is...
Quote:
Compile Heart's new brand for RPGs catering to Japanese players

And think, "Shit, probably never going to be able to play this." And it also sounds like they don't want to release it anywhere else; but that may be just me reading into it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much, most of their games have come out here, so I'm not sure why you'd be concerned based on their name. The Galapagos's moto is just an creative ideology not the business operative, This will come out here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7