• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mikunopolis in Los Angeles Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
My one nitpick--"The Best Possible View" still came with a somewhat unfortunate distraction. There were people up front in the audience waving around their green glow-sticks, which reflected off of Miku's screen. That part didn't bother me so much, for the green lights just seemed like faint scratches that could be easily ignored. But there was one guy in the center of the audience, whose own reflection you can easily make out, who tried standing tall and waving around a red glow-stick right above Miku's head through much of her performance--I seriously couldn't help but get the impression he was doing it on purpose. So this kinda takes me back to when I go see a live performance, and I end up sitting next to a non-self-aware viewer who enjoyed things his own way regardless of anything.

Other than that, as someone who never went to the live show, this was interesting. Voc@loid In Love had the most memorable tune, while Poppippo made me laugh. I could never play this music for anyone I know because Miku is a little too cute and squeaky-voiced, but I still found it to be a fun watch.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but I'm not about to pay 60 bucks for a concert of an artist who isn't even real. Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not about to pay 60 bucks for a concert of an artist who isn't even real. Razz

Say that to Sharon Apple's face, not online, and see what happens.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Funny, people said the same sort of thing 136 years ago when Edison invented the Grammophone. The thing is 500 years from now Miku will still be a young, clean, and virgin 16 year old virtual singer when all the live one's have usually died of STI's, drug, and/or alcohol abuse. Laughing I have to agree the set list is "middle of the road" but every one of those songs were created by individuals or independant bands that only played in the odd garage , or bedroom, maybe a local club. In short no one that the world would have ever heard their music at all if it weren't for Vocaloid and that is the whole point of "Open Sourced " music that I love. and at now with over 1200 and counting songs of a wide spectrum of genres from 13th. Century Gregorian Chants, through various jazz, rock, pop, new age, folk, country, house, techno and trance, just a short list, Miku and her co-vocaloids has brought back the joy of hearing music that makes me happy, joyous, sad, and tearful, and most of all raised the hairs on the back of my neck everytime I hear a new piece from over 100 producers so far I've discovered from the hundreds that exist now and the new ones pumping out fresh inventive sounds that would have never vibrated the airwaves had it not been for Vocaloid.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo:

Hate to break this to you, but Sharon Apple isn't real either. She's just a fictional character in the OVA Macross Plus.

You poor thing; the truth hurts, doesn't it. There there, you'll get over it eventually.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
There is no need for you to buy it if you don't want to. However she is about as real as any performer you see on stage. After they leave the stage you don't get to have a relationship with them either. The main difference I see is you will not see articles in People Magazine about how she trashed the hotel room or ended up in rehab.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
There is no need for you to buy it if you don't want to. However she is about as real as any performer you see on stage. After they leave the stage you don't get to have a relationship with them either. The main difference I see is you will not see articles in People Magazine about how she trashed the hotel room or ended up in rehab.
However you could make one up just for fun with MMD. Laughing
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Actually, the concert ticket itself was only $15, if I remember correctly. That is, of course, aside from the convention ticket, but you get a lot more with that. Yes, I was at this concert.

Miku surely is real, she just isn't human. Saying she's not real is saying everyone at that concert was delusional because they saw some blue, dancing hologram that wasn't there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
^
It was obvious what he meant. She exists but only as a hologram; she's not a real person. She's also not a real artist; she ain't writing the songs.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It was obvious what he meant. She may exist but only as a hologram; she's not a real person. She's also not a real artist; she ain't writing the songs.
But is she a real singer?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, there have been plenty of human 'artists' over the years who neither wrote or performed the songs they were known for. There are those whose 'live' performances are just mimed to backing tracks.

Are they more real than Miku? There's a physical person doing the dancing, sure, but they've had little to do with the actual sound.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Why not apply that logic to films? You're not seeing a live reproduction of a story like you would in a play, musical, or opera, but just a prerecorded sequence of shots. Yet you pay upwards of $12 a ticket. You're paying for the movie theater experience: the large screen, the auditorium, the sound system, etc; same thing here. And there's still other musicians on stage with this concert.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
It was obvious what he meant. She may exist but only as a hologram; she's not a real person. She's also not a real artist; she ain't writing the songs.
But is she a real singer?

I'd say she's as real a "singer" as any autotuned "normal" singer. (Since that's what Miku is; Fujita Saki's voice singing the various Japanese syllables, strung back together into words and autotuned.) And if she's not, the person writing her sequencing is. Or some combination of them is. Rolling Eyes

We've always had a bunch of "maybe, maybe not" in the middle of pop music. Invisible artists like ClariS and Gorillaz, fake frontmen like Milli Vanilli, Natalie Cole's posthumous duet of "Unforgettable" with her father, hip-hop artists who just rap over music written by others twenty years ago, dance music that's all sequenced synths and drum machines... I'd say Miku has to be on that spectrum somewhere.

Which won't stop people from No-True-Scotsman'ing it from now 'til the heat death of the universe. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I have to agree the set list is "middle of the road" but every one of those songs were created by individuals or independant bands that only played in the odd garage , or bedroom, maybe a local club. In short no one that the world would have ever heard their music at all if it weren't for Vocaloid

And the world would not have ever heard of Justin Bieber if not for Youtube, so it all balances out. Laughing

Mohawk52 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

However you could make one up just for fun with MMD. Laughing

And ya get to see her in tons of doujins! Wink

Dop.L wrote:
Well, there have been plenty of human 'artists' over the years who neither wrote or performed the songs they were known for. There are those whose 'live' performances are just mimed to backing tracks.

Milli Vanilli! It worked out for them. Laughing
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It was obvious what he meant. She exists but only as a hologram; she's not a real person. She's also not a real artist; she ain't writing the songs.

I don't care how "obvious" it may or may not have been, saying she isn't real is an insult to her fans and not even true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5