• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Deadman Wonderland DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I've gotta say I think the only reason I stuck with this show was because of the dub, even though I'm not the biggest gore person around, in a very VERY superfical sense the plot interested me enough to eventually take alook at the manga (without eating anything beforehand of course) and I couldn't think of anybetter way to kill 22 minutes of my saturday night than see this. Its so ridiculous it amuses me.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
Such an entertaining review. Loved it. The review, that is. I saw the first episode - it's not for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
One of the worst series in recent times, it's a cluster f-word*. Everything is wrong with it. To say it has plot holes is an understatement; it's a bloody chain-link fence. The pacing was so hyped up, jumpy and skittish it was probably on drugs. The characters are all awful, either psychopathic or scummy, and there wasn't a single one I was rooting for. Even the much-vaunted action was kind of a yawn; I've been more engrossed in karuta battles or soccer training camps than I ever was with the branches of sin fights. Even Bleach of all things regularly had better fights than these.

This is pointless hyper-violence at its most inane. I should have been awarded an Anime version of the Purple Heart for surviving this*.

That word should really be added to the filter, don't you think?

Not a real Purple Heart though; that would be an insult to our veterans.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

DOUZO

dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
^
Man, I wouldn't mind wearing that purple heart all day every day, if you know what I mean . . . heck, I'd even wear it in the shower and in bed. Especially in bed.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

DOUZO

What do I get for writing, recording and editing an abridged series of it then Wink
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
No mention of the Toonami broadcast?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
No mention of the Toonami broadcast?

How is that relevant to a review of the DVD release?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
That was definitely a fun review to read. I never thought about Deadman Wonderland that way. It makes me wonder if I should watch it again with a different mindset, since I really enjoyed the first half and really disliked the second when the series began to fall apart.

Though I still don't think I want to see the uncensored version of this. Moments were bad enough when censored (and perhaps even more effective that way too).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Didn't know the Toonami broadcast was censored, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Though was there that much that needed to be censored? I couldn't tell censoring was done from watching the broadcast version.

I enjoyed Deadman Wonderland, yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it hit all the right notes. Hoping that a second season will be made.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Toonami censored it but the original airing in Japan did, which is the version I've seen.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm not one of "Deadman Wonderland's" biggest fans. I didn't enjoy the gore all that much. The Toonami version was dark enough. I don't want to sit through the uncensored version. It was not an enjoyable experience for me. The whole thing was too much for me and although I may watch the censored version of the second season...if they ever make one,it's not a series I'd ever really want to see again in reruns.
It's too dark and nasty for me and bloody. The ending theme for this series,"Shiny,Shiny" didn't really seem to fit in there. It seemed to me to belong in another anime series,not this one. And,the swearing was unbelievable. I'm glad the Toonami version bleeped it out. I didn't think it was all that necessary. All in all,I'm with those who don't really like "Deadman Wonderland." It goes over the top and it's too bloody and nasty for my tastes. I don't think I want to see this show in reruns any time soon.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
One of the worst series in recent times, it's a cluster f-word*. Everything is wrong with it. To say it has plot holes is an understatement; it's a bloody chain-link fence. The pacing was so hyped up, jumpy and skittish it was probably on drugs. The characters are all awful, either psychopathic or scummy, and there wasn't a single one I was rooting for. Even the much-vaunted action was kind of a yawn; I've been more engrossed in karuta battles or soccer training camps than I ever was with the branches of sin fights. Even Bleach of all things regularly had better fights than these.

This is pointless hyper-violence at its most inane. I should have been awarded an Anime version of the Purple Heart for surviving this*.

That word should really be added to the filter, don't you think?

At the norm I wouldn't say go read the manga but GO READ THE MANGA, it doesn't feel as rushed or have as many plot holes.

On dead-man wonder anime I still loved it despite the flaws. However you can really tell that it was being rushed half-way through the series with the eleventh episode limit.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
The ending theme for this series,"Shiny,Shiny" didn't really seem to fit in there. It seemed to me to belong in another anime series,not this one.

I also found it to be incongruous.

Quote:
And,the swearing was unbelievable. I'm glad the Toonami version bleeped it out. I didn't think it was all that necessary.

Oh, I do; in fact, I though there should have been even more. This was supposed to be a brutal, harsh-edged series; why not reflect that in the language, too? Even the the original subtitled version was pretty nasty at points (especially in the Carnival Corpse match Ganta had with the girl, which made eyes pop when it first streamed), so the dubbed version actually didn't juice it up much.

Deadman Wonderland is ridiculous and overkill, without question; it also, as dtm42 pointed out, is loaded with plot holes. If you don't accept the series for its crass, bloody, pessimistic, over-the-top approach then you can't enjoy it.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wait, how did it justify the Red Man? I totally missed it, and just saw the identity revelation that seemed to be hinting at another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3