• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Night Shifts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks 40$ is kind of expensive for a nearly 20 year old game ?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Damn it!! I want that artbook for Dragon's Crown. George YOU NEED TO RELEASE A DAMN BOOK!! WITH ALL YOUR ARTWORK IN IT SO I CAN BUY IT!!

As for the Kickstarter project, this is pretty intense. I'm going to read the full proposal. I watched the video. I would love to see this as a full international thing. We could always use something like this in our collection. I just finished listening to the vid, it sounds very interesting. I wish they would fund a video type project of this sort too. I would love to see the inner history of some unknown companies and sort of overlooked titles. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Chronicles of Mystara has me wishing someone would make a D&D-based fighting game.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks 40$ is kind of expensive for a nearly 20 year old game ?

But it's two nearly 20-year-old games!

And if people keep releasing PSP games PSN-only, I'll have to price out Sony memory cards again soon. My current card was chosen to be able to hold save states and partial game installs, but not entire games.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

But it's two nearly 20-year-old games!

How did I miss that ? No way can I refuse 2 games for 40$ + shipping (I hope).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Damn it!! I want that artbook for Dragon's Crown. George YOU NEED TO RELEASE A DAMN BOOK!! WITH ALL YOUR ARTWORK IN IT SO I CAN BUY IT!!

As for the Kickstarter project, this is pretty intense. I'm going to read the full proposal. I watched the video. I would love to see this as a full international thing. We could always use something like this in our collection. I just finished listening to the vid, it sounds very interesting. I wish they would fund a video type project of this sort too. I would love to see the inner history of some unknown companies and sort of overlooked titles. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I pushed back Tiger and Bunny part 2 from my schedule so I could pre-order Dragon's Crown early for that artbook. Looks fantastic, and its included in the preorder for free.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Remember Me features the protagonist from behind: COME ON! Why do they have to show her butt!?

Remember Me features the protagonist from the front: COME ON! Why do they have to show her chest!?
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Remember Me features the protagonist from behind: COME ON! Why do they have to show her butt!?

Remember Me features the protagonist from the front: COME ON! Why do they have to show her chest!?

I think your ridicule is unwarranted. The issue is that the package frames her ass as the center of the cover, so as to draw the viewer to look at the protagonist sexually. They could have depicted her from behind without making it about her butt. For instance, her curves could be less luminous and clothed in looser pants, since that artwork is pretty exaggerated. You could also put the title over her bottom, or show her from the waist-up.

EDIT: grammar and redundant word use
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Final Fantasy Tactics is now about bright, happy worlds full of moogles and viera and bangaa in cute costumes, and it's been like that since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. So we shouldn't grumble too much when Square's latest venture is a social cell-phone game called Final Fantasy Tactics S.

Yeah, I too thought there was always something not quite right about Tactics Advance, and that comment hits the nail on the head. While of course the original Tactics is broken in many, many ways, the fact that it's so much darker than just about anything else in the FF universe is what makes it so truly great and unique.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I too agree the original Final Fantasy Tactics was my favorite. The religious wars between factions mixed with Zodiac mythology and painting the typical fanatical church of medieval days was nice and I preferred that game to the sequels, and 12. Which seems to have retconned out the Ivalice from the first game.

ikillchicken wrote:

Or in other words, people will complain no matter what you do.

Battle Cossack wrote:
You could also put the title over her bottom

Sounds familiar.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Chronicles of Mystara has me wishing someone would make a D&D-based fighting game.

There already is one... And it apparently sucks ass.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Battle Cossack wrote:
I think your ridicule is unwarranted. The issue is that the package frames her ass as the center of the cover, so as to draw the viewer to look at the protagonist sexually.

I fail to see how the bottom third of the image constitutes the "center" of the cover. And this no more frames her lower body than it does her upper body. If anything it frames the title (which is the actual center). Which is probably why putting the title in the middle instead of at the top is ridiculously common.

Quote:
They could have depicted her from behind without making it about her butt. For instance, her curves could be less luminous and clothed in looser pants, since that artwork is pretty exaggerated.

Nonsense. Her jeans are fairly form fitting but no more so than the kind that an average real woman wears these days. And the curves of her butt aren't particularly pronounced at all. Sure, the one side is fairly bright but the other side is heavily shadowed. In fact, there's a whole lot more dark concealing shadow than there is light. Look, I'm all for criticizing genuinely exploitative game covers. Lord knows there are plenty out there. But this is hardly one of them. Aside from the simple fact that you can see her butt, there is nothing at all sexualized about it.

Quote:
You could also put the title over her bottom, or show her from the waist-up.

You could do that, yes. But what's your point? I don't mean to say there is absolutely no way to show a female character without including some potentially sexualized body part. But the majority of poses do. Pretty much the only one that won't is the above the waist plus from behind pose you mentioned. Either that or actually go out of their way to hide it by slapping the logo over top. But don't you think that's unreasonable? Criticizing the cover for choosing one of the few poses out of many that you find potentially sexual would be reasonable. In that case it would seem fair to interpret it as them going out of their way to sexualize the character. But rather, you're doing the opposite, criticizing it for failing to choose one of the few very specific poses that wouldn't potentially do so amid the majority which would in one way or another. In that case, you're actually asking that they go out of their way to make sure and hide the character's body. That just seems silly to me.

TitanXL wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Or in other words, people will complain no matter what you do.

And they should, if the image is overly sexualized which it often is. I mean, that Bleach cover is pretty blatantly trying to highlight and expose the character's breasts. But complaining only because you can see a character's butt or chest is unreasonable.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

There already is one... And it apparently sucks ass.

I stand corrected. Now somebody needs to make a GOOD one. Seriously, get Arc System Works or SNK Playmore on it for giggles. It'd be amusing as heck to see how they'd translate the class, race, and skills systems into a 2D fighter.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least the protagonist of Remember Me made it on the cover, lest we forget the nonsense of Elizabeth being removed from the front cover of Bioshock Infinite and Ellie almost being removed from the front cover of The Last of Us despite being equally as important to the narrative as the male lead (in Bioshock's case, even more important), in both cases because the companies though having a female on the cover would hurt sales or some nonsense.

The video game industry: most of us probably aren't intentionally sexist, but dang if we don't do a solid job of making ourselves look like we are!
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Sure, the one side is fairly bright but the other side is heavily shadowed.

I personally feel the lighting that you are describing here exaggerates the attention drawn to her bottom. To me it looks like they took a picture of her from behind and shined a flashlight on her left butt-cheek, which I think places more emphasis on her figure/sex appeal than is necessary.
ikillchicken wrote:
Criticizing the cover for choosing one of the few poses out of many that you find potentially sexual would be reasonable. In that case it would seem fair to interpret it as them going out of their way to sexual the character.

That's exactly what I did. I find highlighting secondary sex characteristics as "potentially sexual".
ikillchicken wrote:
In that case, you're actually asking that they go out of their way to make sure and hide the character's body.

I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth. You can show a woman's body without sensationalizing her curves. However, it is my opinion that this cover fails to avoid that. My earlier suggestions were by no means a definitive list of alternative ways to show women on video game covers, so please do not make inferences from them.
doctordoom85 wrote:
Hey, at least the protagonist of Remember Me made it on the cover

Hell, we should be thankful she even made it into the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4