• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Crushing Hopes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
I believe that while Versus could be shown in E3, Square will delay it until the PS4 is released to make the same impact FF7 made.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Darkstalkers wasn't successful.

I'm sad now.

Also, no one likes you Lightning, no matter how much Square tries to force you down our throats. You are the John Cena of game characters.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Also, no one likes you Lightning, no matter how much Square tries to force you down our throats. You are the John Cena of game characters.

There are people who like Lightning (she made it first in that female FF characters poll) but she is pretty "meh" in my book. It's like if Square wanted to use everything that made players love Cloud and got it all wrong (just like in that CGI movie). I find Zidane, Ramza, Tidus, Terra, Cecil, Ashelia and even Squall (he didn't punch his friends) more appealing as main characters.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

But, Lightning has more than 5 moves.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

It is amazing how much Toriyama tries to prop up Lightning as some hot new character. And then you get into her voice actress' HORRENDOUS miscasting. Neither Ali Hillis nor Maaya Sakamoto can really do much with her character (though admittedly the script does them no favors)
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dawn of the New World (which no one seems to like that much)

I did. Liked it more than "Vesperia," anyway. Looking at "DotNW" and "Xillia," I think my problem with "Vesperia" is I didn't particularly care about the world and/or characters, and the battles felt a bit more slow.

Quote:
Yet the most popular theory is that it'll be Final Fantasy Versus XIII rebranded as Final Fantasy XV.

I really hope this isn't true. I realize I'm probably in the minority on that, and the evidence seems pretty strong, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I think it's mainly because my interest in "Versus" is a mild curiosity at best. Well, that and the last roman numeral "FF" was an MMO, so I'd rather not be disappointed twice in a row.

Quote:
Also, no one likes you Lightning, no matter how much Square tries to force you down our throats.

Yes, because you speak for everyone. [/sarcasm]
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

They certainly didn't color Skullmonkeys or The Neverhood. However, TenNapel's more recent comics, most obviously Ratfist, reflect his stances on politics, faith, and other subjects.

Yeah I remember reading thinking I would be entertained with mild humor, interesting art, and cool characters. I ended up reading it all but ultimately it turned me off of TenNapel's works. It really got religious out of no where for the most part. After that I just never felt like dealing with that guys work again.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked Dawn of the New World. It had it's share of problems and certainly wasn't nearly as good as the first game, but it was hardly horrible and I've played worse Tales games. And Tenebrae is awesome.

The X Button wrote:
Dawn of the New World replaced some of the original's cast, but I suspect they won't bother re-recording anything.

Weeeeeelll..... the thing is, this isn't the GameCube version they're turning HD. It's the PS2 version we never got, which already had new things added to it. At the very least, there are some new Artes and Mystic Artes that need to be dubbed. I think there are new scenes as well. They also didn't dub the skits for the original Symphonia, but they have for the recent games, and I think even Dawn of the New World. I think there's a decent chance they will redub the original game.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I actually liked Dawn of the New World. It had it's share of problems and certainly wasn't nearly as good as the first game, but it was hardly horrible and I've played worse Tales games. And Tenebrae is awesome.

Tenebrae is by far my favorite new character from the sequel and one of my top Tales characters. "Light frog! Nazdrovie! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Weeeeeelll..... the thing is, this isn't the GameCube version they're turning HD. It's the PS2 version we never got, which already had new things added to it. At the very least, there are some new Artes and Mystic Artes that need to be dubbed. I think there are new scenes as well. They also didn't dub the skits for the original Symphonia, but they have for the recent games, and I think even Dawn of the New World. I think there's a decent chance they will redub the original game.

I wonder about this. They originally said early 2014 for this (though it's certainly flexible) which makes me think they aren't going to be doing a lot of dubbing. New scenes could just be left without voice acting - oh wait, there's a new animated cutscene with speaking, right? I really liked the original game's cast (though DotNW had some great VOs as well) and hope that both casts are left in tact, but that may not be possible.

Ah well, either way, this one's goin' on preorder!
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Problem with Last of Us is that yet again, Sony forced a multiplayer on the games developers. Sigh. Not every game needs multiplayer.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I could never find just the right words to describe perfectly what Lightning is, but this, perfect, in just about every way. Thank you for making my day good sir.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Lightning isn't even the best Farron sister. Fortunately we got X-2 to get the better main character.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:

I wonder about this. They originally said early 2014 for this (though it's certainly flexible) which makes me think they aren't going to be doing a lot of dubbing.

They could have already started dubbing it for all we know. I'm not that familiar with the time it takes to dub things, but surely 9-12 months is a decent amount of time for it?

Quote:
New scenes could just be left without voice acting - oh wait, there's a new animated cutscene with speaking, right?

Haven't heard anything about that. There are new "cut-ins", which are when the characters' faces flash across the screen during Mystic Artes and maybe Unison attacks.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
No talk of the release of Class of Heroes II on PSN this week? Definitely worth checking out for anyone interested in dungeon crawlers - it was my first one, and I really like it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Armikrog: I know TenNapel as the guy who brought us Project G.e.e.K.e.R. and Catscratch, and I love both those shows, but I really can't stand his kind of approach. It's hard to like the art when you know what a jerk the creator is behind the scenes. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, and that's fine, but when you have to cram your views into your creative work like a Thanksgiving turkey that doesn't need excess stuffing, the results are going to be pulled up faces at the dinner table.

Tales of Symphonia HD: I don't really get the New World hate. The monster system was fun, for one thing. I mean come on, dragons in your party people, only one other Tales game lets you do that and we didn't get that one anyway. A lot of people just label New World as a badly written fan fiction, and they still do to this day. I replayed through it several times and I don't think I ever turned my face up at any particular moment. Of course, the one most known complaint that's been tired out by now is "Emil is whiny!"

Massive Chalice: The game sounds like it's borrowing a lot from Romancing SaGa 2 to be honest, though I doubt Double Fine knows what that even is.

E3 Hopes: Uh Todd, I think you fumbled with the italics in the lower part of the Feature column. In any case, your annotation for Versus XIII was actually appropriately hilarious. I would use it to metaphorically describe the release window for the game, except with one slight adjustment:

Quote:
Hi, I'm sorry, but your table won't be ready for another ten years.

It may as well be ten years since Noctis won't be sitting at his table anytime soon. I'm not going to pretend I know everything about game development, but really, how much more time do they need for this one? If they keep it up, it probably will be ten years till it's finally released and by then no one will care anymore (I think a lot of people stopped caring a long time ago).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6