• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime Digital Cable Channel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that FUNi can do a better job getting providers to pick it up than ADV has with TAN. I am still waiting for Dish Network to pick it up.

Then agian I could start a martch on Echostar HQ sence I do go to School across the street form them. Twisted Evil
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people saw this coming at some point after that questionnaire they posted on their website some time ago.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
If I can get it either on Time Warner Cable or DirecTV, I'll be a happy man. Very Happy
Steven Hammock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait! I don't think it will be available in my area, but FUNimation MAY just be able to pull this off the way it should have been done. TAN is good... but I like FUNimation dubs better than ADV dubs (normally).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JShaggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't expect Comcast to pick it up soon, since they're apparently pushing for more VOD than linear as of late.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Bah. It would be nice if companies could pool their efforts into making one grand anime channel. I feel jaded by the whole Anime Network thing.

However, if they were to play Fullmetal Alchemist subtitled... :D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Steven Hammock wrote:
I can't wait! I don't think it will be available in my area, but FUNimation MAY just be able to pull this off the way it should have been done. TAN is good... but I like FUNimation dubs better than ADV dubs (normally).

Funny that you should say that, because most people feel the opposite way, especially those ignorant douchebags who still call FUNi "The DBZ Company" and believe that all FUNi releases are like the original Season 1 & 2 release of DBZ.

penguintruth wrote:
However, if they were to play Fullmetal Alchemist subtitled... Very Happy

Um, why? The show's already airing on AS and the dub is fantastic. FUNi's not gonna aim to please the purists.

However, how is FUNi gonna do this? I mean, ADV has way more anime than them. FUNi has like, what, 20 series only?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
FUNi has non-anime shows as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Um, why? The show's already airing on AS and the dub is fantastic. FUNi's not gonna aim to please the purists.

Except that the dub isn't "fantastic" (Edward, Winry, Scar, Envy's voices being especially horrific), and regardless of whether it was good or not, FUNimation would do well to "aim to please the purists", because it would draw them to the channel.

Why wouldn't they?

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenka-Ichi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if their gonna have a whole 24-hour channel devoted solely to FUNimation lisenced anime, they're definately gonna end up airing the same show at least twice a day. Why not make one of the airings the dub version, while the other the subtitled version. That way they can cover every fan, including the purists who completely despise dubs.
alangaruku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Tenka-Ichi wrote:
Yeah, if their gonna have a whole 24-hour channel devoted solely to FUNimation lisenced anime, they're definately gonna end up airing the same show at least twice a day. Why not make one of the airings the dub version, while the other the subtitled version. That way they can cover every fan, including the purists who completely despise dubs.

I like that idea! ^ ^
I would the station will show both version Furuba! ^ ^
Furuba being one of the few rare dubs I like.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
It's not like there are two base catagories of anime fans (the hated "dubbies" and the snobby "purists"). Some people prefer some shows with the original Japanese voice cast, some prefer the convenience of dubbed programs.

Think about it, though, before you deride "purists". Who is going to push for an anime channel more, the casual anime fan who spends maybe a few hours a week watching anime, or the purist who watches it constantly, hoping that some anime will be played subtitled on television, and willing to pay for it? HMMM.
Zero_Reborn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder what this means for any of their series on Cartoon Network......
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote
Zero_Reborn wrote:
I wonder what this means for any of their series on Cartoon Network......

Oh, the series on CN will still be playing there as long as their broadcasting contracts last, that's for sure. Funi just can't yank them off CN now that they've got a brand-spanking new channel to play with all by themselves.

The real question is whether Funi will continue to pitch shows to CN. Considering how well CN's exposure has been for them, I'd say they'd still pitch shows if only to generate buzz for their own channel in the process.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Think about it, though, before you deride "purists". Who is going to push for an anime channel more, the casual anime fan who spends maybe a few hours a week watching anime, or the purist who watches it constantly, hoping that some anime will be played subtitled on television, and willing to pay for it? HMMM.

Huh? What on earth does your dub or sub preference have over how casual of a fan you are?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4