• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: July Hyper Japan Details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuinnM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
I look at Hyper Japan(& London Expo), and then I look across the channel at Japan Expo.

There is no comparison.
(I mean just look at the schedule for the "UK's biggest j-culture event", and compare it to Japan Expo's)

It does strike me as strange that Paris can put on such big shows with awesome guests and events but we can't...
- The UK and France have almost the same population
- London and Paris have almost the same population
- The Excel Centre has a smaller total capacity (100,000m² vs 200,000m²) than Paris' Parc des Expositions, but Japan Expo is only using 3 out of 8 halls there anyway.
...so clearly there is absolutely no logistical reason why we as a country cannot host a decent event.

It must be that the people running these events have no interest in making their events any good (or that places like the Excel centre are charging extortionately more money than their European counterparts).

One day British anime fans will give up being contented with the tat we get claiming themselves to be conventions (where are the guests?!). Until that day comes we'll always have Eurostar! See you all in Paris!

Last edited by QuinnM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am; edited 2 times in total
gtmacc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to check out Japan Expo but the costs of travel and staying over got very expensive when i priced it up.

Looking forward to Hyper Japan instead Smile
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
QuinnM wrote:
I look at Hyper Japan(& London Expo), and then I look across the channel at Japan Expo.

There is no comparison.
(I mean just look at the schedule for the "UK's biggest j-culture event", and compare it to Japan Expo's)

It does strike me as strange that Paris can put on such big shows with awesome guests and events but we can't...
- The UK and France have almost the same population
- London and Paris have almost the same population
- The Excel Centre has a smaller total capacity (100,000m² vs 200,000m²) than Paris' Parc des Expositions, but Japan Expo is only using 3 out of 8 halls there anyway.
...so clearly there is absolutely no logistical reason why we as a country cannot host a decent event.

It must be that the people running these events have no interest in making their events any good (or that places like the Excel centre are charging extortionately more money than their European counterparts).

One day British anime fans will give up being contented with the tat we get claiming themselves to be conventions (where are the guests?!). Until that day comes we'll always have Eurostar! See you all in Paris!

It's got nothing to do with the stats and more to do with the interest in Japanese culture in general.
QuinnM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah you're right, everyone here seems far more interested in having US voice actors as guests at Japanese events than anyone from Japan.

*sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1