• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SimulTV Launches Social Anime Streaming Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Heh, that's kinda interesting. I wonder how popular this will become.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kow626

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I really don't think making video more social is gonna work in the long run. The most it'll accomplish is making attention spans even shorter. If I'm watching a tv show or movie at home or mobile, I'm not thinking about texting or chatting WHILE I'm watching. That's the type of bad behavior that exists in movie theaters and this partially encourages that. If I'm watching a game, I'm not thinking about camming with my homies. You wouldn't want PiP when playing a video game, would you? Multitasking. It's a bad, bad thing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
kow626 wrote:
I really don't think making video more social is gonna work in the long run. The most it'll accomplish is making attention spans even shorter. If I'm watching a tv show or movie at home or mobile, I'm not thinking about texting or chatting WHILE I'm watching. That's the type of bad behavior that exists in movie theaters and this partially encourages that. If I'm watching a game, I'm not thinking about camming with my homies. You wouldn't want PiP when playing a video game, would you? Multitasking. It's a bad, bad thing.

You might be surprised...me and my friend chat ALOT when we watch anime together. We're not MST'ing it or anything but we do things like comment on the animation quality, lampshades bizarre happenings, etc...
EastN3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Not sure I agree with you kow626. When my friends and I were watching Toonami, this years E3, or just randomly watching an anime, we Skyped up a storm. I'm not a fan of paying for anime episodes if I can get them legally free elsewhere, so I'll pass on this, but overall I like the direction that this industry, and the world in general, is moving in terms of social media.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I like Crunchyroll for streaming, as well as hulu. and hulu removed its comments section and it worked out fine.

I also enjoy Vizanime, and Funimation though if i had the choice I watch Funimation on Hulu to due to player and web site issues funimation has had.
Atekae_Grimm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this service is available in Australia, there is almost no anime streaming services here. Other than crunchyroll and Madman but they mostly don't stream any dubbed shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1