• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote

Little Witch Academia (TV)

Genres: magic
Themes: witches

Plot Summary: Akko Kagari is an ordinary girl who joins the renowned witch academy for witch girls, Luna Nova Academy. When she was younger, she went to Magical Festa, a magic show hosted by a witch named Shiny Chariot. Akko was so mesmerized and inspired by Shiny Chariot's performance that she dreamed to someday be a "cool" witch like her. This young and impressionable Akko takes Shiny Chariot's words as her own motto: "Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.“ As part of a class, Akko and her classmates go into a labyrinth under the Tower of Luna Nova. There, a sealed ancient dragon was unleashed by one of her classmates. Akko tries to stop the dragon, but…
----------------------------------

This should be really fun. I enjoyed the original OVA/movie and the second one was kinda entertaining as well. With a TV anime expansion, they can focus a lot more on the characters and storytelling. The preview shown so far looks great too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jFdqs4jUQ&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This so fun! Seeing the main characters again in this TV version and we got the return of the main characters with the setting.

Akko is really cute in this and I love the chemistry she has with some of the others already. We get a little bit of magic talent being displayed by Sucy as well. The ride on the broomstick was kinda crazy, loved how colorful content they brought into the show. Akko and Lotte were also a nice sight to see together.

The action was entertaining and art style is colorful as I had anticipated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The action was entertaining and art style is colorful as I had anticipated.

The one thing that's always struck me about Little Witch Academia is that the art style seems rather retro to me, like it was actually a 1990s series originally produced for a Western audience.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
They kept the first episode simple, and I loved it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
The one thing that's always struck me about Little Witch Academia is that the art style seems rather retro to me, like it was actually a 1990s series originally produced for a Western audience.

For me the art style always reminded of Tweeny Witches. There's also an anime movie that has somewhat similar art style, Magic Tree House, for anyone on the hunt for the more obscure(it's been fansubbed though).

Nice first episode overall, and also glad to see the art didn't degrade noticeably from the OVAs. Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't watched any of the previous stuff, i gotta says "that's it?". The amount of hype for this was off the chart but in the end it's very by the book. The art is nice but nothing to write home about, the basic plot is also pretty simple (another story where someone learn that they can do anything they set there heart to... so long as something miraculous happen to them that can only happen to one person in the whole world). The character are meh, the main character REALLY wanted to be a witch, but she never bothered learning anything about it (ordering a book and immediately giving up, not even looking up the most basic of info on how to get to the school)...

I'm not saying it was bad, it wasn't, but I don't really get the hype...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not saying it was bad, it wasn't, but I don't really get the hype...

It is easier to "screw it up" than it is to make a passable first entry for a season of episodes.

I can agree that it would be a unreasonable expectation for newcomers to get excited over what amounts to a genre that is constructed in some variant several times over a year for the past decade.

For my personal viewership, this first episode is amusing because I have been following Mahou Tsukai Precure which had a striking close synopsis in the opening, a "normal" girl sees a witch and eventually ends up enrolling into a magical academy for the first arc of the narrative.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It was a bit of a slow start to the series, introductory for our characters, like with Akko, Lotte and Sucy, slightly limiting some of the things I personally really like from the movies. There is also Diana, Amanda, Constanze and Jasmink, but also especially Sucy. Really what I like about these characters are how they can be flawed, like Akko can be a bit out of her depth and stubborn, but she has a good heart, and Sucy can be downright evil.

With how this is, I am thinking to keep quiet on some aspects of the series that come across over the movie, that have meaning from Akko's first encounter with magic as a child. Although Akko has now come across the Shiny rod, so I wonder the movies will technically be cannon with the tv show. The Cockatrice was pretty cool and I wonder what else will be pulled out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the first episode. I love this world and these characters. I also appreciated that we got a true introduction to the characters and the school. The first OVA started (except for the prologue of Akko as a child, of course) when school was already in session, so Iiked going right back to before the entrance ceremony.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this. I don't think any anime's ever done that before (also note the lack of engrish).

Fantastic first episode. I thought it would be ok, but they exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they can keep up the pace. Judging from the staff, we're good for at least the first three episodes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Sucy is my favorite so far. I really like her sleepy-eyed look and don't give a damn attitude and her nasally voice. Anime hyper

It's pretty obvious Trigger loves making characters like her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Like Midori from Space Patrol Luluco, and I am going to say Nonon from Kill la Kill?

But yeah, Sucy is great.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Like Midori from Space Patrol Luluco

Yes! Thanks, I couldn't remember her name.

Harahara Haruko is definitely in there somewhere too. Anime hyper
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
So I've just sat down and watched the first episode, and I'm loving it so far. Funny and cute girls doing cute things. Basically, this is the closest we have to a Harry Potter anime. Even the forbidden forest and the cockatrice seems to be notes to the books as well.

I didn't watch the movie but definitely try to find it now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Going good, it took the time to show Akko’s different idea of it compared to the reality. Looks like Sucy has a favourite class. And Diana, who from the movies/OVA is a character I quite like, that at first she appears to be a 2 dimensional villain along the lines of Malfoy or something, but she kind of closer to a different character and has an alright heart. Like in the episode she is clearly smart and people respect her for it, but it also made a bit of pride fullness where she acted without fully understanding the situation, but she was not willing to just take praise she did not deserve.

I wonder if Akko will ever find someone who might have the last card she needs? Oh, just noticed that this is going to be a full 25 episode series, okay, I can see that there is going to be a need to not rush plot and to fully develop the characters. With that much time I wonder if we will get something on the two girls always following Diana.

Also, like the small bit Akko called getting dressed a transformation (henshin). Oh, and rewatching a scene from the episode, Ursula spoiler[seemed to actually juggle the books and rest them creatively out of skill, she then pretends to drop them as if clumsier than she really is when she noticed she being looked at]. Well all the implications are pretty strong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11