• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Sunday's Price Cut Leads to 30% Sales Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Many industries should take notice of this.

I am particularly looking at the whining videogames industry. There no way in hell used games will be gone anytime soon, specially with the ripoff prices they ask for, 60 for console games and 40 for portable one is a ripoff no matter how you see it. Lower the price and they will see a sharp rise of sales and will give a huge blow to the used games market, of course for that to happen we need console games at 30 or 35 USD tops, and portable ones to 15 or 20 USD tops.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
1.3 * 2 = 2.6

So the price cut led to the same amount? Fascinating

The title is misleading it should be. "30% Price Cut Leads to 30% More Copies Sold Resulting in Unchanged Sales"

Did ANN just want to make the 'Jump' pun I wonder?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
1.3 * 2 = 2.6

The title is misleading it should be. "30% Price Cut Leads to 30% More Copies Sold Resulting in Unchanged Sales

That's the most important thing. Price-cuts are nice and all, but the increase in sales have to outweigh the loss in price.

dan9999 wrote:
I am particularly looking at the whining videogames industry. There no way in hell used games will be gone anytime soon, specially with the ripoff prices they ask for, 60 for console games and 40 for portable one is a ripoff no matter how you see it. Lower the price and they will see a sharp rise of sales and will give a huge blow to the used games market, of course for that to happen we need console games at 30 or 35 USD tops, and portable ones to 15 or 20 USD tops.

The difference is you're comparing games which increase in cost to make every time new technology pops up. Those have to sell at a certain price because getting back that 100 Million Dollar investment isn't going to be easy if you only charge 30 bucks. Manga is relatively cheap to make by comparison.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The difference is you're comparing games which increase in cost to make every time new technology pops up. Those have to sell at a certain price because getting back that 100 Million Dollar investment isn't going to be easy if you only charge 30 bucks. Manga is relatively cheap to make by comparison.

And yet Steam can have massive sales all the time where you can get 40 games for 150 bucks, or $3.75 per game. It all depends on the distribution network.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
[quote="TitanXL"]
Megiddo wrote:
1.3 * 2 = 2.6

The title is misleading it should be. "30% Price Cut Leads to 30% More Copies Sold Resulting in Unchanged Sales

That's the most important thing. Price-cuts are nice and all, but the increase in sales have to outweigh the loss in price.

Not true. Sales aren't the only source of revenue. Advertisement costs probably also went up ~30% in exchange for no losses.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
Only $2? Shit, that's not bad at all for a magazine. They're more expensive over here. I remember the American Shonen Jump was easily double (triple?) that price. And that was 10 years ago.
vivacmpunker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Only $2? Shit, that's not bad at all for a magazine. They're more expensive over here. I remember the American Shonen Jump was easily double (triple?) that price. And that was 10 years ago.

You have to take the quality of the papers into consideration. The paper quality for the Japanese manga magazines are very bad thus they have cheap prices. I own a few Japanese WSJ issues and many of the details are lost because of the cheap paper quality.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
And yet Steam can have massive sales all the time where you can get 40 games for 150 bucks, or $3.75 per game. It all depends on the distribution network.

Steam sales are where games go to die, pretty much; not unlike Humble Indie Bundles. They're at the end of their life cycle when they do that. Steam sales are actually a good example. You might get a thousand people buying your game, but at 3 bucks that's only 3000 dollars. Or in other words the same as 50 people who bought it at full price on release. (Though I imagine they're a good method to inflate sales numbers)
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Many industries should take notice of this.

There's not that much useful to learn. Japan's had low levels of deflation for years, information about pricing changes in japan is only really applicable to economies in similar situations, and -- praise be -- there aren't any others. Well, not yet.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:36 am Reply with quote
Since manga magazines are all most students and part timers can afford, this is good news for a lot of their primary audience and it looks like they are able to make it up without loss and an increase in circulation for advertisement

vivacmpunker wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

You have to take the quality of the papers into consideration. The paper quality for the Japanese manga magazines are very bad thus they have cheap prices. I own a few Japanese WSJ issues and many of the details are lost because of the cheap paper quality.

It's true that the paper is low quality but since it's meant for chapter by chapter serialization on a weekly basis (or monthly or whatever period for others), it's not meant for archiving. That's what the tankobons are for. Furthermore, you still get a ton of value considering how much more the Japanese serialized manga mags pack in general. The English WSJ did not have everything and Viz does not get anywhere close to what its parent Shuiesha publishes in general
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
I see somebody already did the math. If the previous issue was 280 yen, that makes it a net loss. However, having the magazine in more people's hands can get more money from advertisers as well. They can charge more for ads based on the increased sales, assuming there are ads in their magazines. So this could lead to a net gain in the long run if they keep it at this price point and have their advertising sales increase proportionately.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
This may also lead to an increase in tankobun sales, as people who only just start buying the magazine thanks to the price cut, then buy the tankobun of ongoing series so they can catch up with the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1