• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Int'l Works on Princess Mononoke Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
FINALLY!!!
RTL3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Yes!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
I imagine Disney will be behind the Blu-ray, since copies of the DVD are now being sold with their label.

Also, they still need to release Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, and Porco Rosso on Blu-ray, and SOMEONE needs to release Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves AT ALL here...
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I imagine Disney will be behind the Blu-ray, since copies of the DVD are now being sold with their label.

Also, they still need to release Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, and Porco Rosso on Blu-ray, and SOMEONE needs to release Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves AT ALL here...

Since From Up on Poppy Hill was licensed by GKIDS instead of Disney, I could totally see them taking up Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. A side-handed way for the works to get released state-side without Disney having to take the blow of "these movies really aren't for kids. They'd find it boring and there's not magic-fantasy aspect to them".
(Only Yesterday is licensed by Disney already but GKIDS got distribution rights and aired it in select theaters in the US already.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
Disney lost the rights to Mononoke Hime two years ago. I haven't heard anything to suggest they are involved with a possible Blu-ray release.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Disney lost the rights to Mononoke Hime two years ago. I haven't heard anything to suggest they are involved with a possible Blu-ray release.

Actually, either that rep was mistaken, or Disney has renewed their license. Mononoke is still in print, and several recent copies feature a new slip cover. Per Fandom Post: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?3182-Princess-Mononoke-going-OOP&p=169097&viewfull=1#post169097

Also, Disney made a new page for it a few months ago: http://movies.disney.com/princess-mononoke
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Can't they use the dubs from the regular DVD on the Blue Ray addition of Princess Mononoke why spend more money.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

All Japanese Ghibli releases are via Buena Vista, and have been since at least the early 2000s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

All Japanese Ghibli releases are via Buena Vista, and have been since at least the early 2000s.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about here. Copies of Princess Mononoke have been in-print with the Disney logo, as seen in dragonrider_cody's post.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
According to GWOtaku its still the same release, link.

Mononoke was put out by Miramax Films, which was owned by Disney and then sold off. Miramax's library of titles included Princess Mononoke. Miramax has licensed their titles to Lionsgate and Echo Bridge for DVD/BD distribution which gave some people hope that PM would finally get re-released. I don't see PM listed in Miramax's catalog, which makes me think they either struck a deal with Disney or sold their rights to Disney. Either way, having a Disney page for PM is great news, because it means we might see a BD release of Princess Mononoke soon. I personally can't wait!
Mykelti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Interesting to hear this and everyone's kindly contributed & well gathered info., as I not too long ago felt I HAD to show PM to folks before watching 'Children Who Chase Lost Voices' (due to obvious influences). I just didn't want to YET, after having watched and been spoiled by the gorgeousness of recently released Disney-Ghibli's on Blu-ray. -I wanted to save the BEST for when it appeared on that format, dag-nabbit! But they HAD to have PM under their belt properly FIRST!
(well, we can AGAIN in Japanese, as I conceded the dub for the subtitle-impaired, lol)

That's GREAT to hear of potential for 'Only Yesterday' as well, due to only having my nicely recorded VHS tape from TCM's Films of Miyazaki month, and VHS's starting to vanish from me...

-Can we have 'Princess Mononoke' promotional theatrical release to coincide upon home release, Disney??

*caps-emphasizing be damned*
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
So Disney is releasing a BlueRay of Mononoke with subs, but no dub? How is this great news again?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So Disney is releasing a BlueRay of Mononoke with subs, but no dub? How is this great news again?

Eh? Where do you read that there will be no dub on a title that has yet to be even announced for release on Blu-ray? Aren't you reading a little too hard?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

This is for the Japanese Blu-ray, and even then, it probably will have the dub. The Japanese Ghibli Blu-ray releases usually have several language-dubs.

All this article mentioned is that someone is working on the subtitles. Nothing more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1