• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Arata The Legend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Spot on review! I was following this one pretty closely for the blog I write for and pretty much lost the will to care about it near the end of the season. I watched the whole thing, but for the life of me I can't remember how the last episode ended...

The biggest problem I had was the character motivations of the villains. The issue Key highlighted with Masato can be generalized to practically all of the villains in the show. They are too shallow and their motivations for being evil are not in proportion to their level of rancor. They are all too over the top!

I loved the OP. I thought it was one of the best of the season, but the ED was a bit of a disappointment.

Really, the only redeeming thing the show had going for it was Kotoha. She is just about the cutest thing on earth and an actually decent character. It took her a bit too long to figure out that her Arata was really not the Arata she was following around, but there was a decent pay-off when the realization finally hit and you got a real sense of romantic tension between the two. It would have been better if she hadn't been so obviously enamored of the original Arata before the switch. If she had had more of a "little sister" vibe then her falling in love with Hinohara would have been more effective.

I may have to read the manga, since I gathered from comments by manga readers that they skipped a ton of stuff, but I doubt that anything can save Masato from being a lame loser. Not without something far more tragic making him such a prick.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The biggest problem I had was the character motivations of the villains. The issue Key highlighted with Masato can be generalized to practically all of the villains in the show. They are too shallow and their motivations for being evil are not in proportion to their level of rancor. They are all too over the top!

So...pretty much spoiler[Yui] from Fushigi Yugi all over again, right?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I consider Theron's review to be very fair comment, but I still ended up really enjoying this title. But then again, I am biased in favour of modern day person being plonked in alternate fantasy world premises.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I consider Theron's review to be very fair comment, but I still ended up really enjoying this title. But then again, I am biased in favour of modern day person being plonked in alternate fantasy world premises.

Then you would love the dubbed version of Garzey's Wing. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Long running shonen series should never be adapted into only 12 episodes. But hey, it got me to buy the manga so hats off to it for that at least.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
This show had its merits, but I didn't feel it gelled into anything worthwhile. The review seemed pretty spot on to me.

EnigmaticSky wrote:

I fail to see how anyone could not enjoy the dubbed version of Garzey's Wing.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
The review is pretty spot-on for me, too. The anime didn't just skip things. It felt more like a summary of events and characters, trying to capitalize on "moments" from the manga, rather than the story itself. And the story doesn't flow well that way. Neither do the characters. I watched the anime and enjoyed it for what it was, but I'm definitely sticking to the manga, even if they release more anime sequels later...
midnighteve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
This show had its merits, but I didn't feel it gelled into anything worthwhile. The review seemed pretty spot on to me.

EnigmaticSky wrote:

I fail to see how anyone could not enjoy the dubbed version of Garzey's Wing.

I adore Garzy's Wing. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at anything in my whole life! Duragaroll! Gabujuju!

*ahem*

But anyway, as a superfan of Yu Watase, I was of course excited to know that Arata was being animated...but I only lasted about 3 episodes in before I just gave up on it. There was just too much material to cover in only 12 episodes and the breakneck speed that everything was going at just lost my interest as well as my friends who were watching with me. But, like a previous post mentioned, it did get a friend of mine to go check out the manga proper. Mission accomplished?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
I know the main character is a guy, but I would actually consider this more shoujo. Its closer to 12 kingdoms or Fushi Yugi, it just so happens the main character is a guy. But I cant imagine that the majority of those reading the manga are anything but girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1