• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tenchi Muyo!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to know a few things about the manga, like for starters, is it any good? I, and many other people, love the anime and I just wanted to know if it has a different story or if it is better than the anime. Oh yeah and one quick thing, is it heavily editted; ie. violence,language,nudity, etc.
hikarintakeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
The manga is probably one of the most entertaining titles I have ever read. If you're a Tenchi fan, it won't be a waste of money. It has so much rumor that it's not tiresome to re-read the series over and over again Razz And this is coming out of a person who owns the entire manga series Razz

Technically the manga isn't part of the OAV or Universe series. It does take things and plot themes from the OAV (it leans more there) though. There are new characters and new battles so it's quite refreshing.
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
The two Tenchi mangas (No Need for Tenchi! and The All-New Tenchi Muyo!) are set after the original OVA's; ignoring Muyo GPX, Universe, and In Tokyo.

And they're both really good titles. I like No Need better, as it has an excellant balance between comedy, drama, and action, and Okuda draws everything beautifully. The only draw back to this series is that it hasn't been reprinted completely in the smaller, 10 dollars version yet. The 15 dollars, larger one, has been finished for some time now.

That said, All-New isn't as good IMO. The stories are alot fluffier, and lack the character depth seen in No Need. Plus, there hasn't been a good sci-fi action plot since the first two volumes. However, all of the volumes released (up to six) are priced at 10 dollars, so it's more affordable..
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advise, I'll go pick up the series.
Espeon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
As a total Tenchi fan.. mainly cuase of Ryoko Embarassed .
This is a must buy Razz
I have all the dvd series, 11 of 12 manga and 3 of 7+ alien nation manga's.
Cant get enough of collecting Tenchi stuff Razz
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh ya just one question, which series comes first, No need for Tenchi! or All-New Tenchi?
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
No Need for Tenchi! but it doesn't particularly NEED to be read before hand. All-New! references any points that need clarifying, and the two series are too tightly interconnected.
hikarintakeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
In the All-New series, the King of Jurai and the Queens appear a lot more than they did in the previous series Smile And you get to see some references from like GXP and stuff so it's pretty good. ^^
AnimeGreen0813

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Tenchi Muyo is a great manga because it sticks to the original storyline, the OAV, the best storyline, ignoring Universe, the awful Tokyo storyline, and GXP. Hitoshi Okuda does an excellent job on this title, the original and the All New version. Its like the OAV never ended.
Digital Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
hikarintakeru wrote:
Technically the manga isn't part of the OAV or Universe series. It does take things and plot themes from the OAV (it leans more there) though. There are new characters and new battles so it's quite refreshing.
It's been a long time since i picked it up, but I was under the impression that it continued on from the first OVA series, and at one stage managed to link itself to the first movie.

Over all, I give it the instant thumbs up at as it really is it's own story and not really a copy cat of what is going on in the TV/OVA series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1