• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tempted by spoilers?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Hisoka_x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Are any of you tempted by spoilers. I know that when I read a post and it contains a spoiler, I have to read it regardless of the show. Are any of you guys like this?
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Are you asking that if a discussion has spoilers whether or not we read them regardless of the subject matter?
CyberViper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I defintely don't read them unless I know that I am probably never going to watch the show, and if I did I wouldn't care if I knew it. Most of the time I really don't want to know any spoilers.
Sometimes people make spoilers without saying what show they are in regards to, and I looked at one and I was really mad at myself for doing that, as it revealed a huge secret.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I have NO self-control, so whether I'm watching the show or not, I read the spoilers. Not to mention, I do like some warning if I'm going to need lots of tissues or a barf bag handy (depending on the situation) Laughing
Gauss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Not really. Not counting what I've already seen, 99% of the time I only check what's hiding behind the spoiler tags if it's an anime I have no intention of watching (though sometimes I change my mind). The remaining 1% are basically mistakes or spur of the moment decisions. And as CyberViper said, sometimes there's no way of knowing which show is being spoiled until you check.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
For me spoilers have no impact on my viewing of anime whether I have watched an anime or not. Sometimes it does the opposite of ruining a series with making it better for me. The only example I can think of right now would be me finding out spoiler[Misuzu would die before I even started the series. This effected me so much that near the ending when I got attached to her as a character I didn't want her to die even though I already knew. It helped make the ending even more emotional for me]. Well thats one of the best experiences I've had with spoilers.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers concerning endings don't bother me. Even if I know that so-and-so gets killed or such-and-such happens, my focus is on the sequence of events which lead to the points noted by the spolers.

Sometimes the ending is what it's about. Sometimes its the journey. It depends on the work being seen or read.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm I posted here but I think it got deleted. Wonder why????

I agreed in the positive and I stayed on topic. I also abstractly added that some animes, popular don't really require spoiler tags being that they were really popular and I'm sure (speculating) that everyone that is an anime fan has either already seen them and spoilers aren't really required (contextually I mean(t) I know that the rules specify otherwise). I gave obvious examples such as DBZ Sailor Moon and Pokemon.

Just wondering why my original post got deleted thats all...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps spoilers aren't needed for shows such as Sailor Moon, Tenchi & DBZ since they've been out for such a long time. But I still think that it is a matter of courtsey to use spoilers, you never know if someone is brand new to anime and hasn't seen "old school" anime.

As for new shows, I don't download (actually, I don't know how to!), so I have to wait until they arrive here in the States. So when ya'll talk about new shows and use spoilers, it's a good idea.

So, yes, I'm tempted by spoilers. But, it is one way to find out whether or not I'm going to purchase an anime. I was going to buy Speedgrapher but someone, using spoilers, described something that happened in it, so now I've changed my mind.

Tetsujin is right, sometimes it's the ending, sometimes it's the journey
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes unfortunately, For example I read the full metal alchemist spoiler about a certain major spoiler[Maes Hues dies] Didn't see that coming. Shocked.

But also spoiler[If you are reading this than yes you are tempted by spoilers.]

So yes, but nothing has really been ruined for me.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
But also spoiler[If you are reading this than yes you are tempted by spoilers.]

Cute. Very, very cute. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
yeah this happens to me a lot. i've been so tempted to read spoilers on other boards for Noein and Eureka Seven, cause it's taking so long for sub groups to get the episodes out.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Hmmmm I posted here but I think it got deleted. Wonder why????

I agreed in the positive and I stayed on topic. I also abstractly added that some animes, popular don't really require spoiler tags being that they were really popular and I'm sure (speculating) that everyone that is an anime fan has either already seen them and spoilers aren't really required (contextually I mean(t) I know that the rules specify otherwise). I gave obvious examples such as DBZ Sailor Moon and Pokemon.

Just wondering why my original post got deleted thats all...

The OP double-posted the thread, so if you (like me) posted in the one that was deleted, then your post is teh vanish3d. I'll summarize my post: If it's for a series that I might watch someday, I won't read spoilers, because I like to go into series knowing as little as possible about the specifics (like I did with AIR and KgNE), but if it's a series that I don't care about and don't ever plan to watch, I'll look at the spoilers just for the heck of it. (i.e. Ranma, DBZ, YYH, Inuyasha, and others) Wolf's Rain is an example where I had seen spoiler blocks in numerous posts, but never read them because I wanted to watch it. After seeing Wolf's Rain, I'm glad I never read the spoilers.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
I don't bother with spoiler text on message boards.

I just go and find spoiler summaries elsewhere to get the full monty, because I have a general "If it's worth watching, it's worth watching spoiled." Maybe not for absolutely everything I watch, but when people make too big a deal about secrecy, I'd rather be spoiled than be disappointed by a gimmicky twist. And, sometimes, for films like Vanilla Sky, my enjoyment is actually enhanced when I already know what the little details are adding up to. I just don't care to have my mind blown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
I avoid topics, I avoid spoiler topics, I avoid everything. When I'm reading, if I start to get a hint of "spoiler" but it's not in spoiler tags, I click the back shortcut key on my mouse and make sure not to read it.

Sometimes I think I mess myself up when I read reviews before I watch a show. Seeing a number or two is fine, but not READING the review. I don't mind knowing a show is averagly good, 7, awesome, 9, or bad, 3; but I do care if I know something I shouldn't at the beginning.

With that said, there are a lot of topics I have to dodge in forums =P One of the biggest "anime with bad endings" which has popped up recently in this forum. I haven't even bothered loading that page once because I don't want to see

Anime1:spoiler[All the main characters die!]
Anime2:spoiler[Nothing is concluded!]
Anime3:spoiler[The writers go off the manga's track and make a horrible ending!]

, because then I won't want to see them. Other than that, I have to avoid NGE like the plague. I'm going to watch it pretty soon though cause I think I just need to. Even if I didn't like it, I just need to watch it.

So no, I'm not tempted =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2