• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Kenshin DVDs should I buy?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, first post!

I'm a big fan of Kenshin (as you can see) I recently purchased Samurai X: DC and Samurai X: Reflection (Havn't watched Reflection yet). I like watching the TV series on CN but I would really like to buy the DVDs. Since there isn't a Box Set yet I really don't feel like spending $550.50 on Kenshin DVDs.

So to get to the point could sombody tell me which DVD's I should buy. You know the ones that fit in with the manga. In other words all the DVDs excluding the stupid filler episodes like the circus and that sumo dude Confused

Thanks
~Kenshin
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, believe it or not, many of the episodes fit closely with the manga, namely the first two arcs. If you're going to only buy a few discs, though, almost every Kenshin fan I can think of would recommend that you buy the ones for the Kyoto arc. Honestly, Kenshin doesn't get much better than that. Anime smile
Kenshin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yah I think I plan on getting

Wandering Samurai:
1-3

Legends of Kyoto
7-14

No Tales of the MEji since I heard there horrible

Was Rajuta Sensai in the manga? And is there any need to get the final DVD?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Get volume 7. Out of all the Kenshin DVDs I have bought (and sold again, for that matter), Kenshin Volume 7 was well... good. The first arc kinda blew. Meiji sucked also. But if you're going for what you want THEN filling out the rest of the series, then get kyoto arc. Besides, box sets are due someitme soon
DevilMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin' wrote:
Yah I think I plan on getting

Wandering Samurai:
1-3

Legends of Kyoto
7-14

No Tales of the MEji since I heard there horrible

Was Rajuta Sensai in the manga? And is there any need to get the final DVD?

Samurai X is basically the serious features of Rurouni Kenshin. Only watch Reflection if you really want to see the Kenshin saga come to an end. Trust me, it may be about as hard to swallow as End of Eva.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:59 am Reply with quote
yeah you now something wrong with a OAV when even the original creator doesnt like it.

talking about the second OAV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:36 am Reply with quote
I have the entire series minus I think vol 20.
The third story arc or should I say stories aren't all that bad but they aren't comparable to the second arc in any way.

to me the best dvds are the second arc. Shadow of the Wolf and Between life and Death volumes are my favorites of the entire series. The first dvd of the third season called wish of the fireflies or something like that is good too. Its a winding down of sorts and has a few filler episodes that aren't too bad. Althought seeing a blind kenshin kick ass in third season is still kind of cool. You sort of miss the whole reverting back to the battousai idea though. Hehe don't want to spoil anything.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kenshin' wrote:
Hey guys, first post!
I like watching the TV series on CN but I would really like to buy the DVDs. Since there isn't a Box Set yet I really don't feel like spending $550.50 on Kenshin DVDs.

Although there isnt an official boxset yet you can get package deals at www.robertsanimecornerstore.com. They have both individual story arcs in bundle deals and all three arcs in a bundle deal.You dont actually save that much mind you but you might want to check it out.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:

Although there isnt an official boxset yet you can get package deals at www.robertsanimecornerstore.com. They have both individual story arcs in bundle deals and all three arcs in a bundle deal.

The correct url is:
http://www.animecornerstore.com/
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:17 am Reply with quote
Stupid me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1