• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hakushaku to Yousei aka The Earl and The Fairy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as the only thing of this series to pop up here has been the 4 volume manga via viz, it's no wonder this series isn't more popular here. I saw the anime fan subbed when it originally came out a couple years back, and though I loved it, I forgot about it til recently when I finally got around to buying the manga.

Well after finishing volume 4 I was mad. I wanted more. I re-watched the anime and bemoaned the lack of light translation releases of the series until I lucked out and found one fan who has been translating the light novels for a while now, and in one weekend I read everything she had translated of the series, which were 4 volumes, and I am ever so grateful she's still translating, and almost done with volume 5.

Is anyone else reading this delightful little Victorian fantasy romance? The more I read, the more the Edgar's pass pulls me in, and oh do I so love a dashing rake. I'm now seriously just importing all the volumes from Japan now and attempting them myself with my really poor Japanese skills.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the books, but the covers do look nice.

I wonder, though, why this fan translator isn't pitching their translations to publishers instead of giving them away for free on the net. Translating novels is a lot of hard work, and if they can do a good job, why not get paid for it?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Viz and anyone else who does light novels probably gets tons of similar offers, but there are negotiations, and licensing to go through, along with who knows what else. However after seeing English releases of light novels come and go I understand why something niche like this wouldn't get picked up. When you get down to it it there probably isn't a profit.

I personally can see Earl and Fairy do well if marketed as a teen Victorian supernatural/fantasy romance, because that's pretty much what it is, but it'd never be handled the way it would need to in order for it to reach the main teen audience it would need. Tokyopop, Yen Press, and Viz (and I'm sure a few others) have all tried it, and what happened with those translation projects I think is pretty telling as to how well these books do in the industry.

Plus Earl and Fairy is I think at a good 30 books now. That right there would probably scare of any potential distributors.
scandiaca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoyed this story a lot. Earl and Fairy was one of my first anime i ever watched and am happy it was. I too was to very upset when they stopped making the manga and when I found out there was a light novel, i couldn't stop jumping. Sadly the author is going to finish the series with 32nd novel which i think is coming out this year Crying or Very sad . I don't see why they couldn't do a second season...would have been worth it....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1