• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Customs Seize Comics Headed to Toronto Comic Arts Fest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitShifter

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness the moral overlords are stepping in to protect us from drawings and words which may cause harmful, "wrong" thinking. Instead of destroying or returning the comics, the politburo should replace them with "right-thinking" comics which promote the values and morals that we all hold so dear, and force border-crossers to carry those to the Festival for consumption by all the citizenry. There should be a test afterwards, to make sure that no evil thoughts have crept into the minds of the sheeple...

Yeah, look, I don't want to over-react, and I'd like to keep an open mind about "obscenity laws". But it has to be said:

Once you give the government the power to confiscate, destroy, (or even imprison the creator/consumer of), drawings and words, all that remains is to appoint the person or group who gets to decide which drawings and words are acceptable, and which are to be persecuted or prosecuted.

It's not really a slippery slope. If you agree with that person or group on their choice of acceptable drawings and words, life is good. If you don't, it sucks to be you.

Last edited by BitShifter on Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
This is disgusting. Both comics are experimental artworks, not smut.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
And even if they were "smut," who gives a damn? How does the very concept of "obscenity" have any relevance whatsoever in the modern world? It's ridiculous.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
I had no idea that Canadian customs even did that! On another site, I read that someone had their manga flipped through and nudity got scratched out with a sharpie! I don't get it! Is there a fine line between art and actual smut now? Besides, Canadian TV at night I remember having ALOT of "obscene" and unrated stuff on it. How is that not all banned? Canada isn't really... the place in the world to be banning that sort of stuff.

I tried looking for shots of these books online to see what was so bad about it, and from the very little I saw, couldn't see anything that screamed "BURN IT!!" It's not my style, but it's nothing I haven't seen before.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I had no idea that Canadian customs even did that!

Oh Oh Oh Canada!!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
..not going to say this, this is just to..nope i will not troll i will not flame. This sucks and is why I hate "morality" the so call in forced kind. That's all i am going to say on this.. welp I am out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Oh Oh Oh Canada!!

...well, now I know whenever I cross the border to keep any of my anime/manga/etc guarded at all times. I don't read hentai or yaoi or anything, but there's enough nudity in other series that might make them take a peek!

...and did they really need to screen Pee Wee's Playhouse? REALLY??
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
This may be radical thinking but instead of destroying them why not return them to the original author instead? I am sure they would prefer their work that probably took them hundreds of hours, maybe even years to produce and have them back in their possessions if Customs thinks these comics are "obscene".

Why does it matter what if a comic something different. It's up to individual's to decide if something is "obscene" or not. But what really makes this whole ordeal quite sad, is the fact that Customs is willing to destroy it without at least considering giving it back to the author is actually somewhat of a extreme solution.

Also, even if Customs does destroy the comic, the author can always make more and that makes destroying the comic pointless. So really what is the point in destroying the manga? It can easily be created once again and can be printed infinitely many times.

I just don't understand why some people get so worked up about such minor issues these days. If it the issue was such a big deal to Customs, why didn't they bother talking to the author first instead jumping to a extreme solution first.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Canadians are such upstanding people. Gotta keep it that way! Otherwise, they'd just be the next United States! Thank goodness no manga is involved! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Oh Oh Oh Canada!!
I've seen every Hentai on that list. Twisted Evil
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
This makes me think of a bumper sticker I saw the other day:
"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is strong enough to take away everything you have."

The times they are a'changing.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I had no idea that Canadian customs even did that! On another site, I read that someone had their manga flipped through and nudity got scratched out with a sharpie! I don't get it! Is there a fine line between art and actual smut now? Besides, Canadian TV at night I remember having ALOT of "obscene" and unrated stuff on it. How is that not all banned? Canada isn't really... the place in the world to be banning that sort of stuff.

I tried looking for shots of these books online to see what was so bad about it, and from the very little I saw, couldn't see anything that screamed "BURN IT!!" It's not my style, but it's nothing I haven't seen before.

I guess there's smut Canadians think is ok for you and smut they think is bad for you a.k.a. "obscene". On pg 9 of Sunday Silence's link, apparently "Girls Bang Girls, Vol. 25" is Prohibited but "Girls Bang Sluts" is Admissible.

taster of pork wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Oh Oh Oh Canada!!
I've seen every Hentai on that list. Twisted Evil

Interestingly enough, almost every hentai manga and anime listed is Prohibited.. most of which you can order from Amazon US, something as tame as DNA Hunter. Some poor Canadian will see "Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only)" and see "UNRATED", buy it, and maybe find himself in jail later (or possibly worse as a sex offender)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, if these comics are being seized for "obscenity", then how has Blood- not gotten his stuff nabbed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
Customs wouldn't dare mess with my smut. Yeah, this is embarrassing, for sure. But it does explain why some of my TRSI orders occasionally do get opened by Customs (I can always tell when that happens because Customs reseal the packages with their special yellow tape) - they're on the hunt for "objectionable" material.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait, if these comics are being seized for "obscenity", then how has Blood- not gotten his stuff nabbed?

Easy: Orchid Seed was nice enough to ship those pretties with their clothes on.

As for everything else: he hasn't even gone into perversion yet. Wait, there is Ikki Toussen, but Candadian officials couldn't screen it all as they gave up after episode 2.

@Topic: I laughed. These comics failed to make it in but South Park has a growing audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2