• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Goo Poll: Which Manga is Why You Buy Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokes

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
whats that manga on the second place ? o_O
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
That Enigma sounds enigmatic indeed. Anime please.. it can't be worse than Beelzebub. Bloody repetitive gags all over the place.
Uppa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Must be a bit of a kick in the old noggin for those people who buy Shonen Jump each week for HUNTERxHUNTER.

"Blimey. Not there this week, either. Crumbs."
opn

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That Enigma sounds enigmatic indeed. Anime please.. it can't be worse than Beelzebub. Bloody repetitive gags all over the place.

trust me most of those are filler heck the lighting gag was only used for the first three chapters and almost never used again while the pierrot used it alot more then neccecary. eh this list doesnt surprise me....at all.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
smokes wrote:

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Plot Summary: Kochikame is a present day anime set in a neighbourhood police station in Tokyo. The story follows the crazy adventures of the main character Kankichi Ryotsu (Ryo-san), a middle aged policeman.

Main character is a middle-aged policeman? This has no chance of being localized.
opn

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
smokes wrote:

ANN Encyclopedia wrote:
Plot Summary: Kochikame is a present day anime set in a neighbourhood police station in Tokyo. The story follows the crazy adventures of the main character Kankichi Ryotsu (Ryo-san), a middle aged policeman.

Main character is a middle-aged policeman? This has no chance of being localized.

that and it has 171 volumes and STILL on going.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain to me what the numbers mean??
Is it something like percent where 100% of people who buy Jump read One Piece and 32% of people who buy Jump read Gintama
OR is it just the number of persons who voted?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
As I read it, the poll asked readers to pick one manga as "the reason you buy Weekly Shonen Jump". The pollsters then took the numbers of votes for each manga, and rescaled them so that the highest ranking manga, in this case One Piece, got 100. So Gintama got 32 votes for every 100 votes One Piece got.

This is based purely on the ANN article, though. I couldn't read the Japanese web site.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter is still part of Shonen Jump? Are there news about it?
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Hunter X Hunter is still part of Shonen Jump? Are there news about it?

It's still part of Weekly Jump, if you go to the main site it's still on it (the Japanese portal website.)

But, there has been no word for months and months about its return Sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
smokes wrote:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:

WHAAAT?! Sweet, merciful Sasquatch. But then... there are others with similarly insane/impressive records.
opn

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
opn wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
smokes wrote:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:

WHAAAT?! Sweet, merciful Sasquatch. But then... there are others with similarly insane/impressive records.

well i knew about golgo the other i didn't though and im shocked there any person would have their manga that long.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
opn wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
smokes wrote:
ANN Encyclopedia wrote:

well i knew about golgo the other i didn't though and im shocked there any person would have their manga that long.

There are a lot of people who buy Jump ONLY for Kochikame. Many of them are older people who have been reading the series since they were kids. It's basically hooked generations of readers.

Part of the secret of its longevity is that it's really simple. It has no big storylines, and most chapters are self-contained. You can start reading from almost any of its thousands of chapters and understand what's going on.

It's basically followed the same formula for decades: In each chapter, Ryo comes up with a scheme to make a lot of money or become famous. The plan does well at first, but then he screws it up, and things turn disastrous. At the end of the story Ryo is back where he started from. Also, in many chapters his scheme ends up accidentally causing ridiculous amounts of destruction and property damage. Most stories end with the police chief yelling at Ryo, along with a caption giving us an itemized list of all the stuff he destroyed and how much it will cost the city to fix.

Also notable is that Ryo hardly ever does any police work at all (neither do the other characters, most of who are also cops.) The only explanation given is that Ryo's town is so peaceful that there is never any crime; the biggest problem the town has is Ryo himself.

Ryo is basically the Homer Simpson of Japan; both for his bumbling, and because his series is one of the longest of all time.

Last edited by Wyvern on Tue May 10, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of manga. I only buy Bakuman and Naruto (not up to date with this one), I really want One piece but can't afford it for now. Maybe I'll pick up Nura in the future and I'd REALLY like Sket-Dance but I get the feeling an English release for that is near impossible (-_-)
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
One Piece FTW Very Happy
Still amazing for the other series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2