• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Licenses The Hentai Prince & Stony Cat 2-3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Before they release those, they really need to reprint Volume 1.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
How do they make any money on this? Its bad enough when you get physical copies with 10-20 volume runs that get cancelled before they are finished, Tokyopop anyone? But to pay for a digital manga, on a volume to volume basis?

I can at least sell the physical copies to recoup some of my loss and disappointment, what am I going to do with digital copies if they drop the series after a few volumes.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
How do they make any money on this? Its bad enough when you get physical copies with 10-20 volume runs that get cancelled before they are finished, Tokyopop anyone? But to pay for a digital manga, on a volume to volume basis?

I can at least sell the physical copies to recoup some of my loss and disappointment, what am I going to do with digital copies if they drop the series after a few volumes.

In regards to Hentai Prince, they never released a digital version as far as I know...
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So they announce something as generic as Henneko, but they don't announce that DM has licensed Hidan no Aria and released the first volume 2 weeks ago?? You have failed me ANN...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
So they announce something as generic as Henneko, but they don't announce that DM has licensed Hidan no Aria and released the first volume 2 weeks ago?? You have failed me ANN...

lol Well, has Digital Manga (besides maybe the Guild, which seems to advertise itself) even announced that they own the rights to the light novel and manga? They release so much from Digital Manga Guild, yet how much of the general audience even know about them?

I was surprised to see that they had Aria the Scarlet Ammo out already, when I didn't even know they had it. I don't have any particular interest in the series (anime or otherwise), but I bought it to support it a few days ago. It's their first light novel of that sort, amongst the hentai and yaoi manga and novels that nearly dominates their library.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Now if there was a way to get the first volume
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

lol Well, has Digital Manga (besides maybe the Guild, which seems to advertise itself) even announced that they own the rights to the light novel and manga? They release so much from Digital Manga Guild, yet how much of the general audience even know about them?

Well, I suppose that's true. It just surprises me because I remember a little while back I saw a poll on Crunchyroll that placed Hidan no Aria on the top 5 (I think it was #2, but I don't remember) light novels in Japan. I thought it would get more recognition here as a result of that...but...it hasn't... :/

Then again, those polls that are announced on Crunchyroll are usually pretty ridiculous

P.S. I also purchased the first volume of Aria, even though I've read the fan translation so many times that I probably won't read it lol

Last edited by Treeborn on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

I was surprised to see that they had Aria the Scarlet Ammo out already, when I didn't even know they had it. I don't have any particular interest in the series (anime or otherwise), but I bought it to support it a few days ago. It's their first light novel of that sort, amongst the hentai and yaoi manga and novels that nearly dominates their library.

They have published a ton of Hideyuki Kikuchi novels, including the Vampire Hunter D series in conjunction with Dark Horse.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Really? I can't seem to find it on their website. Pity, it's something I'd be interested in.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Asrialys wrote:

Really? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Exactly! It's on their eManga website, since it's digital only. While DMP owns Digital Manga Guild, I'm not even sure if Aria is technically a DMP license. lol
rookie_one
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

firedragon54738 wrote:

right around the time the anime started streaming i managed to get one of the last copies Amazon.ca had. DMP's store had it listed at the time too, but that's probably long sold out.

BAM lists V1 for $7.77 with a 2-4 week delivery window, but that'll probably result in a cancellation/backorder.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 am Reply with quote
If it's in the print version, Finally! I've had Volume 1 sitting on my shelves feeling lonely.

Regarding to the posts above, Aria the Scarlet Ammo was licensed but only in digital version? Darn...Shame I won't buy anything that are licensed in the form of the digital version...:/
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I think you've misread the article. Digital Manga are a publishing company. They've confirmed via the Project H Tumblr (probably NSFW) that The Hentai Prince And The Stony Cat is currently print-only.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

firedragon54738 wrote:

Well, looks like they're working on getting Volume 1 out there again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1