• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Megatokyo cuts ties with I.C. Entertainment

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:07 am Reply with quote
There's no explenation given, but Fred "Piro" Gallagher, creator of online comic Megatokyo has cut all ties with I.C. Entertainment (formerly Studio Ironcat). Not only will they not be releasing Megatokyo book 2, but Warmth will no longer be published through AmeriManga magazine.

The folowing can be found in his 7/7 rant:

Piro wrote:

First, I would like to apologize for the lack of information regarding the status of Megatokyo book 2. The response to the publication of the first book far exceeded anyone's expectations, and I know that many of you are eagerly awaiting the publication of the second volume. I have an announcement to make regarding this and future print volumes of Megatokyo.
I.C. Entertainment (formerly known as Studio Ironcat) will not be publishing Megatokyo volume 2 or any future volumes of Megatokyo material. If you have pre-ordered Megatokyo volume 2 from I.C. Entertainment, please contact them directly regarding the refunding of your preorder.

In addition, please note that IC Entertainment will not be publishing any future installments of 'warmth' in 'AmeriManga'. This does not mean that 'warmth' will not continue - it just means that I will more than likely offer it free to the web, in much the same way that Megatokyo is presented. I will provide more information about the status of 'warmth' in the near future.

The decision to no longer work with IC Entertainment was my decision and has been made for reasons which I will not get into at this time. I have been holding off on the announcement for well over a month, but I feel that any further delays are unfair to fans and loyal readers of Megatokyo.

Now, this does not mean that there will not be a Megatokyo book 2, it just means that IC Entertainment will not be publishing it. I have a lot of options. I could find a new publisher (a very strong possibility because MT readers helped make the first book a proven success), I could publish it myself (sort of like a doujinshi or self published work) or, who says it needs to be in print? The comic is all right here, and it's not like the lack of a print volume will deny any readers access to the story Smile I feel that doing the books right is far more important than rushing to print, now or in the future. I will pursue the options that work best for Megatokyo and the future of my work.

I would like to thank all of you for your support and want to assure you that this announcement does not put the future of Megatokyo in any doubt - Megatokyo is going strong, and intend to keep it that way.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:03 am Reply with quote
That sucks. I bought the first book and liked it....I was keeping an eye out for the second one. (No, I don't have the time to sit and go through the archives to read all the strips...whereas I can actually take a book with me to read whenever I get a chance.) Ah well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:11 am Reply with quote
With any luck he will soon find someone to print the second book though. I find it hard to belive that all of the publishers would reject him, given the popularity of Megatokyo.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I bet Tokyopop has some interest in them, they're already releasing some american made manga graphic novels along with their Rising Stars contests.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but from what I understand Piro doesn't do well with deadlines. So unless he finds someone willing to just ignore deadlines and work with Piro's "I'll do it when I feel like it" attitude, I doubt we'll see much from an outside publisher. (Meaning he'll have to publish it himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:33 am Reply with quote
Of course he dose have enought work for another book ready to go ~ so as long as he did some cover work and let the publisher take care of the compliation (would this be a good idea?) book 2 should be good to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1