• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
looking to branch out

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:39 pm Reply with quote
ok, honestly almost all of the manga I own is by Clamp. I've tried getting into other authors, but all the ones I've tried I just can't get into enough to buy the manga...yes, I watch anime before I read manga. So does anyone have any suggestions for some really good manga that might be similar enough to Clamp for me to like?
molloaggie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm....

Fushigi Yugi
Marmalade Boy
Kare Kano
Peach Girl!

You might want to try:
Short Program
Rumic World Triology
(they have short stories in them)

Also, for anime I'd recommend Legend of Himiko and Fruits Basket
hakubi_tron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:21 pm Reply with quote
In addition to to Rumic World, I would reccommend R. Takahashi's Mermaid stories (Mermaid Forest, Mermaid's Gaze/Mask). And the out-of-print Mermaid Forest and Mermaid's Scar anime OVA's if you can find them. The mermaid saga is the best work Rumiko Takahashi has ever done IMO. Its not stupidly funny all the time and has a good overall concept.
Also:
Shadow Star
And, thinking about it, Clamp has crossed genres several times, X was incredibly violent for shoujo, and then there is the more recent Chobits, not to mention others. So maybe it would help if you were a little more specific in the different qualities of Clamp's work that you like.....

But I would say the best way to find new manga to read is to set aside a few hours, go to Borders, pick out some manga that look interesting, and read them. Not necessarily the whole book, just enough to get an idea of the style/story/characters/etc. I'll admit this was easier when major retailers carried a shelf of anime as opposed to the current plethora of choices, but its still something I do practically every other weekend.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ok, this is what I have as far as Clamp Manga:
CCS
MKR
X
RG Veda
Miyuki-chan
Tokyo Babylon
Clamp School Detectives
Man of Many Faces
Chobits
Angelic Layer
Wish

I've tried getting into these other manga:
Kare Kano
Berserk
Dragon Knights
Love Hina
Fake
Scryed
King of Bandit Jing
INVU
Cowboy Bebop
Real Bout High School
and whatever is in Shonen Jump right now...
Magatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:21 am Reply with quote
Definately anything by Rumiko Takahashi like Ranma 1/2, Ikkoku Maison, Inuyasha and all her other works.

The ones that I sugesst for any genre are listed bottom:

Dark Angel by Kia Asamiya
Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind by Hayao Miyazaki
Silent Mobieus by Kia Asamiya
Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue
Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi (sorry. had to mention this again)
Lone Wolf & Cub by Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:47 pm Reply with quote
You know, reading Clamp means that you're already reading quite a diversity of novel styles. Chobits has it's fan service, X/1999 has great action, and Wish is such a tender story.

I'm wondering why you're having such problems liking other stuff. There are people who won't drink anything but Pibb, won't drive anything but a chevrolet, and swear on their favorite brand of toilet paper. I've honestly never met a person who was stuck on just one author. Wink
hakubi_tron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Except for Berserk, most of the things in your list seem fairly recent. Maybe trying to get some older stuff like Battle Angel, Gunsmith Cats, Ah! My Goddess, 3x3 Eyes, etc. Also, Magatsu mentioned Nausicaa (essentially miyazaki's masterpiece, took him 15 years working on it between other projects) and Blade of the Immortal which has a thread right now that I added a critique-of-sorts to.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2456

I should also add that Asamiya is usually a good bet, and one of the better, new series I have seen lately is still Shadow Star. It has a really unique driving concept.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:53 pm Reply with quote
thanks, I forgot to mention that I have some Oh! My Goddess. Though I will def. check out all the other manga suggested. I just picked up a copy of Ragnorak today so we'll see if I like it. and please feel free to suggest more:) its always best to get opinions from people who know
Hellomojo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:46 pm Reply with quote
yea, I can see why you like clamp so much. their art is very fine detail. You look at one panel and its so much detail in one panel! i wonder how long it takes them...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1