• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade of the Immortal

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey Manga freaks,

I was reading a bunch descriptions of Manga books that I am going to purchase, and I ran across this title.

Blade of the Immortal

And here is the description of what it's about:

To end his eternal suffering, he must slay one thousand enemies!

Manji, a ronin warrior of feudal Japan, has been cursed with immortality. To rid himself of this curse and end his life of misery, he must slay one thousand evil men!

His quest begins when a young girl seeks his help in taking revenge on her parents' killers. . .

....and his quest won't end until the blood of a thousand has spilled!

So my question is, has anyone read this, and if you have, does the book have as much excitement, as there is in the description?

Hope I can hear from someone soon, take care.
Magatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have read this to the latest storyline and I can say I love this book. The story gets better as it goes on. Amazing Art, amazing action, a good story and very good characters. The character are very three-dimensional and that gives it a sense of realism. This is a very exciting series and don't start thinking its going to be boring because the main character is immortal, the writer has a way of making things interesting.
I definately recommend this title!
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I sort of figured that the story would be full of action, because he has to kill one thousand people. So that is all the more reason to come up with a story full of different ways he kills people, and you don't have to worry about him ever getting hurt, since he's immortal.

But thanks for the boost to get me to buy the books Wink
NawkXela

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:09 am Reply with quote
This manga is great I started like 2 years ago. It is so cool Cool . Manji Kills a mess load of people in each book and atleast has one sceen where he busts all of his 15+ weapons out at once slices and dices his opponents into a mess of guts, blood, and uhhhh other unknown stuff.
It's quiet cruel at times, like when the girl whole family was kill and her mom raped infont of her and then finding out that her mom's head was later sowed on to a weirdo's body. And when one of those jerks killed her dog and fed it to her raw say that it was boar meat (actually that was quiet funny at the time).
Also you might not have read far enough, but it is possible to kill a person who has eaten the worms of immoratly (something like that), because later he encounted a person who has also gained enternal life like Manji, but is abusing his powers. He also had a scared water form water that can kill the worms that sustain the enternal life and tried to use it on Manji. Later, Manji killed him by jumping off a tree when he was distracted by the girl and pinning him through the heart on to a tree and then slashed him into a thousand peices.
NawkXela

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:12 am Reply with quote
This manga is great I started like 2 years ago. It is so cool Cool . Manji Kills a mess load of people in each book and atleast has one sceen where he busts all of his 15+ weapons out at once slices and dices his opponents into a mess of guts, blood, and uhhhh other unknown stuff.
It's quiet cruel at times, like when the girl whole family was kill and her mom raped infont of her and then finding out that her mom's head was later sowed on to a weirdo's body. And when one of those jerks killed her dog and fed it to her raw say that it was boar meat (actually that was quiet funny at the time).
Also you might not have read far enough, but it is possible to kill a person who has eaten the worms of immoratly (something like that), because later he encounted a person who has also gained enternal life like Manji, but is abusing his powers. He also had a scared water form water that can kill the worms that sustain the enternal life and tried to use it on Manji. Later, Manji killed him by jumping off a tree when he was distracted by the girl and pinning him through the heart on to a tree and then slashed him into a thousand peices. He was just a head and with the top of the shoulders pinned on a tree still talking, but died after his last words.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:22 am Reply with quote
I got through half of your post and got too excited, so I had to stop cause I don't want to ruin it for myself! I can't wait!!!
Magatsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:26 am Reply with quote
Hey man, you only explain the blood and but not the human interest of the story.
hakubi_tron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Blade is an excellent story, not because of the killing, but for the complexity and depth of the plot/characters. The art as well, is extremely interesting, being done in a style not unlike the final sketch of a drawing. This allows for a lot of freedom within the visual perception of the manga. This style also lets fast movements during fights seem more intense with the way Samura shades everything in a panel with strokes that follow the movement, thus emphasizing it. Also, proudly printed on the back of each volume are "Winner of Japan's 1998 Media Arts Award" and (more meaningful to me) "Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Winner". Essentially, whether you like it or not, you have to concede that it is very well assembled package.

Last edited by hakubi_tron on Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sounds awsome ill go check it out when i get a chance.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1