• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Mameshiki Cirno

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
To be completely fair to the series, there's a nice looking (based on photos, at least) line of figures by Griffon Enterprises that doesn't seem to be overpriced. Though what you said about a Touhou Tax definitely applies in general, and even the Figma and Nendoroid releases are exclusives, which means proxy fees as well...
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
The strongest things come in the smallest packages!

Amiami has a lot of really nice Touhou figures, but yeah, they're pretty expensive and a handful are sold out. I'm always tempted to take the plunge but it's a pain to get stuff like that over here. And if you really want sticker shock, go to a con like AX and see what the booths are charging for things.

By the way: +1 for the Sexy Commando reference at the end. Wanchu!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
What? No frozen frogs? For 80 bucks you'd think a trademark accessory would be present. But that's a complaint from someone who wouldn't spend that much one his favourite boss charater, let alone his most hated.

I guess the Touhou merchandise being crazy expensive -- There's an amazing Reimu fig on Palet Web for over 160 US -- makes up for the fact that the games themselves are absurdly cheap. Relative to Cave console ports. 80 bucks will net you half the Windows games and god knows how many hours of play.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
That is the strongest figure ever.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
I am determined to amass a vast wealth for the sole purpose of purchasing Touhou merchandise. Actually, with those prices, I might have to stick with Embodiement of Scarlet Devil collecting regardless of my wealth. This Cirno would be absolutely worth it if I had a million dollars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
grooven

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
To say you paid 80 dollars is like saying you paid that much for any figure. If you include shipping rates and conversion rates it is always expencive. The figure is only 3,980 yen compared to 5,000 plus for a normal figure or 1/8th scale. Nendoroids are near the same price as a Mameshiki depending on markup. I actually own quite a bit of Touhou merchandise. It depends how you get them shipped too. But it is the same amount for any other figure. It depends on it being limited run or not, scale, company and so on. If they do a re-release then the prices goes down.

Amiami and Otacute sell touhou as do other sites. You just need to know where to look. I own the Flandre version of this mameshiki. I prefer it over the Nendoroid (and Nendoroid's in general). You can make a vast variety of poses unlike the Nendoroid. Though they are more fragile, but they just are more fun.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
80 bucks for a crappy toehoe figure. wtf
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I swear to god, most Touhou figs are pretty cheap-looking and overpriced (Griffon Enterprises, anyone?). I've seen some really nifty looking amateur garage kits but they're like, 4x the price of a standard commercial figurine, not to mention the tools needed for assembly (paint and whatnot) can really take a toll on your wallet.

xBTAx wrote:
There's a nice looking (based on photos, at least) line of figures by Griffon Enterprises

What

http://www.amiami.jp/shop?vgform=SearchProducts&tid=1303dbf7b12&sort_1_name=SortKey&Sort_1_direction=ASC&page_number=1&search_id=1306705975940&template=default/product/e_search_results.html&set=english

Most of them have emotionless, DERP facial expressions in my opinion (and some of the face models used are kind of creepy or unfitting, like Reisen's).
Rednal

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Finally, something from Touhou! ^^

The only actual figure I have (not counting a few ultra-mini Disgaea ones or Gundam models) is a Flandre Scarlet one that's actually pretty nice. But I'm glad to see Cirno pop up here; that was a nice surprise.

@Running Wild: You think that's expensive? 'Tis as the good columnist says. Touhou merchandise is pricey. I paid $60 for a plushie at a recent convention, and that was 33% off (and yes, I like Touhou that much...). It's probably because there aren't many companies that can really go commercial with it, among many, many other details...
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
In my wildest dreams, I had never imagined reading a Sexy Commando Gaiden reference in this column.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Griffon has terrible QC do not buy anything from them. I learned that the hard way.

I have no problems with GSC or Kotobukiya. In fact my favorite touhou figure is my kotobukiya Yukari.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I got the T's System figures (except Sakuya). I think they have cuter facial expressions. And yes I don't like the Griffon figures either, they do look somewhat uninspiring, especially their facial expressions.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 pm Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
I swear to god, most Touhou figs are pretty cheap-looking and overpriced (Griffon Enterprises, anyone?). I've seen some really nifty looking amateur garage kits but they're like, 4x the price of a standard commercial figurine, not to mention the tools needed for assembly (paint and whatnot) can really take a toll on your wallet.

xBTAx wrote:
There's a nice looking (based on photos, at least) line of figures by Griffon Enterprises

What

http://www.amiami.jp/shop?vgform=SearchProducts&tid=1303dbf7b12&sort_1_name=SortKey&Sort_1_direction=ASC&page_number=1&search_id=1306705975940&template=default/product/e_search_results.html&set=english

Most of them have emotionless, DERP facial expressions in my opinion (and some of the face models used are kind of creepy or unfitting, like Reisen's).

Like I said, based on pictures, so I wouldn't really know about QC issues or things like that. And yeah, looking at them again some do look off, but others (like Remilia, in my opinion at least) make up for it.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
I guess ZUN's decision to keep Touhou's...enthusiasm/influence fan-centric does have a downside. It'll be interesting to compare it to the Vocaloid movement over time.
And that video got me my weekly dose of "yes, the internet is made of weird". Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2