• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Foreign Distributors

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought it'd be helpful to have an organized list of all the European, Australian, Taiwanese, and other foreign distributors that release a good bit of anime. You never know when there's a French or Taiwanese release of a show that could intrigue certain collectors. I suppose this could also double as a general questions thread for those such as myself who are out of the know on these matters. Or triple if people want to highlight limited edition stuff like art boxes or licenses.

I know a good bit of the foreign distribs, but I need the help of some of my far-off friends to fill it in. If you could just post the country, name of the company and provide a link to the ANN entry, that'd be golden.

Australia
Madman
Magna Pacific Home Ent.
Siren Visual

France
Kaze
We Anim

Germany
Kazé Germany
Nipponart

Italy
Shin Vision
DENEB Film
Yamato Video

Taiwan
Bees Factory
CaiChang
Deltamac
Hi-Yu
Horng En Culture
Mighty
Muse
Proware
Power International Multimedia
Top-Insight
WAN-MI
Win

UK
Beez
Manga UK
MVM
Optimum Releasing

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:47 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I suppose this could also double as a general questions thread for those such as myself who are out of the know on these matters.

*ahem*

So I'm curious about the Highschool of the Dead release in Germany. Does anyone there know their release plans for it? Like could there possibly be an art box? No other show Nipponart released has gotten an art box, but they haven't released that many TV series, so I'm hoping there's a slim chance for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I really should look into converting my DVD player to an all-region one so that I could potentially take advantage of a non-R1 release. TKoH, didn't you mention that there was a Taiwanese, or maybe Hong Kong, release of Bakemonogatari? Do you know if it has English subtitles?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
There are

Tawainese DVDs

and

Korean BDs

Neither of which have subtitles. Aniplex has been floating around the idea of trying to get it stateside, so an English version could come about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I would worship Aniplex as gods - GODS!!! - if they bring out an R1 Bakemonogatari.

Well, okay, maybe not as gods, but I'd certainly stop calling them Analsux.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really should look into converting my DVD player to an all-region one so that I could potentially take advantage of a non-R1 release. TKoH, didn't you mention that there was a Taiwanese, or maybe Hong Kong, release of Bakemonogatari? Do you know if it has English subtitles?

I've saved a lot of money buying R2 UK editions of items OOP in R1. If you don't mind watching them on your computer (or if you have it hooked up to your TV) a program called VLC Player will allow you to watch R2 DVDs without changing any settings. Just make sure you have the latest version. Oh, and it's free to download.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
@ OldCharlie - yep, that's a good tip. I don't mind watching DVDs off my home computer because I have a 24" inch monitor and I stream a ton of anime anyway, so it's not like I'm not used to watching stuff on my computer. Hmmm, something to ponder. You wouldn't happen to know if VLC Player lets you watch PAL DVDs, do you?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
It does because I can play my FLCL and 5 cm/s DVDs, both of which are PAL.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks, TKoH, you're a real...

(...are you ready for it?...)

(...'coz here it comes...)

...PAL.

AH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!!!

Would you believe these gems just come to me with hardly any effort at all?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I would worship Aniplex as gods - GODS!!! - if they bring out an R1 Bakemonogatari.

Well, okay, maybe not as gods, but I'd certainly stop calling them Analsux.

Mmm wouldn't that be just lovely. I see much in store for us. Aniplex has so much potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1