• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planetes (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Planetes (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: love, space

Plot Summary: In the year 2075, mankind has reached a point where journeying between Earth, the moon and the space stations is part of daily life. However, the progression of technology in space has also resulted in the problem of the space debris, which can cause excessive and even catastrophic damage to spacecrafts and equipment. This is the story of Technora's Debris Collecting section, its EVA worker, Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino, and the newcomer to the group, Ai Tanabe.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

After making my way through the second volume of Planetes earlier today it's quickly becomming one of my favorites. It's very much character driven which may turn some away but I personally enjoy these types of series the best. It also has the advantage of being very good and believable science fiction with lots of detailed attention payed to the physics and mechanics of space. Has anyone else seen or is currenty following it?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
My review of this volume is pending; it should get posted later this week, so I'll reserve full commentary for that. I'm giving it very high marks, especially since it clears up some of the minor problems seen in the first volume. Episode 7 was, I think, the point where I became completely hooked, both because of spoiler[the girl who reveals herself to be a Lunarian and what that means for her,] and especially spoiler[Fee and Hachimaki driving down the highway on the moon!]

Most viewers who weren't fully won over by the first volume will be by this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen a bad or boring episode of this series yet. I just hope the last volume comes with a box or something.

I'm suprised the series isn't more popular though both here and in general. I wouldn't even know about it's release or picked it up for that matter if I hadn't read about it in some random anime magazine. Even then it was just a little summary of the premise of the show and the release date. I picked the first volume on impulse buy as I needed something to watch in the car on a long trip and was quite impressed.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
I give Planetes a 10 out of 10 for being one of the only true hard sci-fi series in anime, and not just that, but one that really tells an awesome story. I still have only volume 1, but I saw the entire series a while ago, and it IS one of my favorite sci-fi series along with the CotS/BotS series.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
One of the best animes I've seen in my life, both for the 'scientific' aspects and the characters relationships. The social background's very well developped aswell and plays a crucial role into the future events. There are also some very interesting thoughts concerning the thinking process of the average astronaut which is definitely not a hero like it was presented during the 60s: this will also play an important role during the last half of the series

I'll not tell you more... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ananda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Vol.2 was really great!!!

I especially loved the last episode (Ep.10) with Yuri, we finally get to know more about his background story which helps us understand him much better. Loved it.

And the episode with the girl, Episode 7, when she revealed the way she felt about her situation at the end was very touching too.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I haven't seen a bad or boring episode of this series yet. I just hope the last volume comes with a box or something.

Yeah, I hope the last volume comes with a box. I was hooked just because of the cover art on volume one, it's really nice isn't it? I really liked just about all the episodes. I wonder though...it seems that the whole series are a bunch of (and I quote GITS:SAC) "Stand alone complex" episodes. Do you think that there will be a massive plot unraveling toward the end of the series whrere something extremely trumatic happens?
Asuka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
The plot isn't "Twelve Kingdoms" massive, but it doesn't disappoint. Planetes' ending is one of the best done anime endings I can recall.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Shibahime wrote:
The plot isn't "Twelve Kingdoms" massive, but it doesn't disappoint. Planetes' ending is one of the best done anime endings I can recall.

Hopefully it'll never get as complicated as that one. Trying to follow the subs for that one in my anime club made my eyes ache, too much talking to follow what was going on most of the time. Even so it was good. I plan on getting the box sets which are comming out later this year to rewatch it dubbed.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Planetes may make those with no tech sense get a headache later in the series, but that's because I am a technophile (like tech) and was in hog heaven watching this series so I found the technology terminology not hard at all to follow. Still, non-techy types (like technologically illiterate liberal arts majors Razz) may say "the whose-a-whatsit?" when they hear "Tandem Mirror Fusion Engine" where we techies follow it completely (may not know for certain what the tandem mirror has to do with anything, but we understand it's a really powerful fusion engine and we know what THAT is), and other sorts of examples.

When I was working on fansubbing for this, both editors and QC checker would always be correcting mistakes because the technology terminology was sometimes so dense that there'd still be some minor (but to some people: obvious) errors in editing and translating because we weren't always certain what to take as a literal noun (like in a proper title) or as one that could be said another way so as to be understood better.

In a nutshell: it's a complicated series. If you are decent at science and technology reading, it won't be a series that'll make your head hurt, but if you are the type that could never understand the difference between fusion and fission, then you might want to have a notepad handy for the later eps so you can go look up the terms that totally confused you.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm an avid science fiction nut, well versed in the art of technobabble, with a large volcabulary and interest in many branches of science, technology, and psychology. I think I can handle it. I grew up watching great series like Star Trek: The Next Generation and Babylon 5. Smile
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
In case any one cares this is a real problem. I am a huge Nasa freak if you want to see what's actualy out there check out this web page. www.wstf.nasa.gov/Hazard/Hyper/debris.htm I just picked up vol 1 and 2 and I am going to watch them now.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm an avid science fiction nut, well versed in the art of technobabble, with a large volcabulary and interest in many branches of science, technology, and psychology. I think I can handle it. I grew up watching great series like Star Trek: The Next Generation and Babylon 5. Smile

You're more than well-prepared to watch this series. It really doesn't take much versing in technobabble, really, just an understanding of science. You know, terms like retrograde, fusion, zero-g, inertia, acceleration, velocity and the like.

Any engineering major of science fiction afficionado would have zero trouble watching this series.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

You're more than well-prepared to watch this series. It really doesn't take much versing in technobabble, really, just an understanding of science. You know, terms like retrograde, fusion, zero-g, inertia, acceleration, velocity and the like.

Any engineering major of science fiction afficionado would have zero trouble watching this series.

I learned those terms in 8th grade science. I mean, compared to alot of scifi shows, Planetes isn't pulling things out of the anus. Like in shows such as Babylon 5, they just seem to not really have a bassis for somethings. They fly those cool looking fighters around like there was an atmosphere in space. I'm not saying it was a bad series, I loved it, Planetes is just more realistic than anything I have seen, holywood or otherwise.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Also, it's not fundamental to know the complete meaning of all the technical datas to get what happens into this series: all the 'psychologic' stuff remains the main aspect of the show IMO Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7