• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monogatari Series Second Season (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote

Monogatari Series Second Season (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, psychological, romance, supernatural
Themes: harem, non-linear narrative, vampires, youkai

Plot Summary: Tsubasa and Hitagi discover that Koyomi has gone missing and has urged them in a text message not to look for him. However, in his absence, new dangerous apparitions begin to appear and target Tsubasa, and Nadeko who are left to try and deal with them on their own. Meanwhile, Koyomi Shinobu, and Mayoi are dealing with serious problems of their own.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Yay finally, I have been waiting forever for this. Well, the OP song is okay I guess.

The episode was good though!
Dat wave~

I'm getting a little hard to get used to the shorter hair but I can deal with it. Nicespoiler[ tiger] visual. Damn, that looks sick. spoiler[Senjougaharaand her emotions] ;.;

Oh she looked hot this episode imo. :3. Decent start so far. I heard this would be a two-core series so pretty happy about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd keep that 2.39:1 aspect for the entire episode; entire show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish Daisuki's player had better resilience to hopping around a bit. Monogatari is not the kind of show I can get everything the first time I see it, especially with subtitles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 1. The recent preview gave us some hints at what was coming but spoiler[ watching this "friendly rivarly" between Hanekawa and Senjougahara ] still felt refreshing.

P.S. Senjougahara always looks hot.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the interaction between the two girls, but I was a bit confused. In Nisemonogatari, didn't Hitagi make comments suggesting that she was afraid of Tsubasa, and that Tsubasa was the sort to threaten with a smile? Not a hint of that dynamic here.

I'm not particularly fond of Hitagi's short hair, if only because she looks too much like Tsubasa now.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Nice to see the interaction between the two girls, but I was a bit confused. In Nisemonogatari, didn't Hitagi make comments suggesting that she was afraid of Tsubasa, and that Tsubasa was the sort to threaten with a smile? Not a hint of that dynamic here.

I'm not particularly fond of Hitagi's short hair, if only because she looks too much like Tsubasa now.

Are you suggesting that maybe Senjougahara isn't entirely straightforward about everything she says? What a world to live in, where Senjougahara isn't always honest with herself!
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

My interpretation of the events of this episode was that spoiler[Senjogahara spent an entire evening frantically searching the streets precisely because she is afraid of Hanekawa. The look of relief on Senjogahara’s face when she finds Hanekawa at the abandoned cram school was not out of concern for Hanekawa, but a moment of release for Senjogahara who had been trying the prevent a very likely scenario from occurring: Araragi finding about Hanekawa’s situation and offering her a place to stay at his house.
This is precisely why before the scene when Hanekawa’s house burns down we see Senjogahara talking to Hanekawa about how Araragi will always help them regardless of whether they want help or not.]

Quote:

I’ve always assumed this was intended reason behind Senjogahara cutting her hair.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

My interpretation of the events of this episode was that spoiler[Senjogahara spent an entire evening frantically searching the streets precisely because she is afraid of Hanekawa. The look of relief on Senjogahara’s face when she finds Hanekawa at the abandoned cram school was not out of concern for Hanekawa, but a moment of release for Senjogahara who had been trying the prevent a very likely scenario from occurring: Araragi finding about Hanekawa’s situation and offering her a place to stay at his house.
This is precisely why before the scene when Hanekawa’s house burns down we see Senjogahara talking to Hanekawa about how Araragi will always help them regardless of whether they want help or not.]

If that were the case, wouldn't spoiler[it be incredibly simple for her to just check Araragi's house and confirm that she's not there? I'm pretty sure that she was worried about Hanekawa, but not necessarily because she cares about her that much (yet). First of all, she's got a traumatic experience with near-rape that affects a lot of her actions so the thought of Hanekawa spending the night on the streets and maybe getting raped triggered a torrent of emotions as we saw, and second of all she knows Hanekawa is close to Araragi, so for the same reason Araragi went through so much trouble to save Kanbaru back in Suruga Monkey, she'd probably go through an equal amount of trouble to save Hanekawa. She "a precious friend of the one who's important to me" kind of thing. I mean, how do you think Araragi would feel if he came back, Hanekawa was missing or dead, and Senjougahara had to admit that she didn't even try to do anything?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2 (obviously), Episode 1, (Tsubasa Tiger 1)

It does seem the biggest reason that she was acting like that was that Hitagi was worried from her own close shave. She also seemed to have a bit of fun teasing Tsubasa, although this may be Hitagi's coping mechanism.

But onto what happened, it seems pretty clear that the spoiler[tiger burnet down Tsubasa's house due to her hatred of it. I would presume because of "white lies of ignorance", which points towards Tsubasa lying to even herself about how much she hates her life, and that she wanted it burned]. I do wonder about what exactly Tsubasa's current parents are like for Hitagi to so easily reject them.

I also never quite noticed that Hitagi's home life is meant to reflect the lost fortune that came from her past. Having the slight appearance of a grand aged house, but actually being rather run down (that shower).
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
If that were the case, wouldn't spoiler[it be incredibly simple for her to just check Araragi's house and confirm that she's not there?]

If Senjogahara’s actions are driven byspoiler[jealously and a wish to not get Araragi involved, going to Araragi’s home would be the worst possible scenario. If Senjogahara went to Araragi’s house, Araragi would surely be notified of the situation occurring with Hanekawa and would come to offer assistance .]
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that she was worried about Hanekawa, but not necessarily because she cares about her that much (yet). First of all, she's got a traumatic experience with near-rape that affects a lot of her actions spoiler[so the thought of Hanekawa spending the night on the streets and maybe getting raped triggered a torrent of emotions as we saw,]

She also hasspoiler[severe abandonment issues because of her mother leaving. Given that Araragi is the first person Senjogahara has allowed to become really close to her since her mother left, an extremely jealous (and slightly insane) person would go out of their way to make sure that girl with the highest chance of success of stealing her boyfriend away does not have a prolonged stay at his house. Furthermore, Hanekawa is also highly renowned for being able to take care of herself. She constantly wanders around town by herself all the time, so it seems strange that Senjogahara would suddenly have a concern over her safety in that regard.]
Quote:
and second of all she knows Hanekawa is close to Araragi, so for the same reason Araragi went through so much trouble to save Kanbaru back in Suruga Monkey, she'd probably go through an equal amount of trouble to save Hanekawa. She "a precious friend of the one who's important to me" kind of thing.

I also like that interpretation, but by itself it doesn’t explain Senjogahara’s outburst. However, you could always just write her outburst off as crazy being crazy.
Quote:
spoiler[I mean, how do you think Araragi would feel if he came back, Hanekawa was missing or dead, and Senjougahara had to admit that she didn't even try to do anything?]

I think he would be more upset that he wasn’t informed of the situation, spoiler[which is what Senjogahara spends the entire episode doing.]
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
First of all, spoiler[Araragi is missing and she knows that. In fact, how do we know she didn't try to call him as one of her leads? A lot of your points assume that Araragi is no longer missing and that she knows that he's no longer missing. Which is especially odd because he's still missing.]

GeminiDS85 wrote:
spoiler[Furthermore, Hanekawa is also highly renowned for being able to take care of herself. She constantly wanders around town by herself all the time, so it seems strange that Senjogahara would suddenly have a concern over her safety in that regard.]

spoiler[What do you mean "renowned"? Does anyone know that? Does Araragi know that? Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I'm pretty sure that absolutely no one in the series knows that Hanekawa routinely wanders the streets at night rather than go home. She's certainly not renowned for it.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I'm a bit confused about Hitagi's behavior as well. not that I mind the opportunity to listen to Hitagi telling Tsubasa spoiler[she has no choice but to bathe together, and Hitagi stripping to nothing but her underwear] for about 4 minutes. I miss her long hair
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
spoiler["That's why I envied Senjougahara so and loved her so." In a scene in which Senjougahara is pressing her chest against her back.] Just another day in a heterosexual girl's life. Yep.

Last edited by Rhyono on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Oh God, that spoiler[shower scene] in the beginning.....*nosebleeds*. Oh nice to see those cat ears again. :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2 (Tsubasa Tiger 2)

So it looks like the major focus was put on the fact that Tsubasa does not really spoiler[mind whether she likes or dislikes something, she just goes for the basics]. Her experience with spoiler[cooking was the basic ingredients, but nothing like seasonings added], really it is something simple that expresses how strange something is.

Also Hitagi seems to have been influenced quite a bit by Koyomi. All in good fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14