• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Reveals Finalists in 3-Language Shonen Jump Manga Contest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I've already read 4 of them. They were pretty good. I'm going to have trouble choosing a favorite since I liked all of the ones I've read so far.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoping El Viento Del Norte wins. We need more Westerns in Manga.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I definitely like what I read so far. Artwise, too, these are some great entrees. It's too bad my entree couldn't have been better, but it's obvious that I have a long way to go before I can really make anything like these. So congrats to the current winners!
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Where do you read these mangas at I want to know
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
After reading through all six, I decided to vote for El Viento Del Norte. The artwork and the structure of the narrative were solid and of a good quality.

The main issue I had with a lot of the entries is that they all felt like I'd read them before as a lot of them recycled plot-lines and scenarios from about every shonen manga that has ever existed. I feel that Boom really has potential if given enough polish - if it was given more of a focus, with pages not as damn hectic and busy as they were, it would have been brilliant.

The Team Before Daybreak was dullsville though.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow someone from the US got into the finals I would like the read that one
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I've read them all, and personally I'd have to say that BOOM wins my vote.

It reminds me a lot about One Piece where there's a likeable main character, it's funny, and the main character has a strange power. Sweat Man came as a close favorite, but I couldn't resist the artwork on BOOM.

Golden Rabbit was nice for a one shot, but I can't see how it could be extended. It's the story about a boy catching a Lepracaun, how much else can it do? Unless it goes into detail about after effects, or the boy getting into some kind of adventure with the rabbit. I am happy to see it was made by someone from the USA.

I also read the other 3, but after a few pages those mangas weren't for me.

So my vote goes to BOOM Very Happy
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
shadowsythe13 wrote:
Where do you read these mangas at I want to know

We linked to where you can read them in the article:
https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/items.php

If you go to that link and it gives you a page in Japanese, click on the "English" link at the top then click on "Read the 6 finalist works and cast your vote" and you'll be able to read them in English.
lLuffyl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad I never got an entry in. I can't draw for shit and I couldn't find anyone to help. Maybe next time.

I'm excited to read these though.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow someone from the US got into the finals I would like the read that one

It kinda sucked, some other USA entrants that didn't make it posted their entries online, and some of them were SOOOOO much better than GR.
Anyway....
My favourite was BOOM, then El Viento.
Worst was GR, then the generic vampire thing with extremely predictable ending.
Morning Star was OK, really liked the art, but the story flow and story in general was kinda basic.
Really liked Sweat man as well, it had some of the best comedy out of the six. but yeah... BOOM was the best overall.
Gustave Archamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I would have to agree that BOOM was pretty high up there. It has the potential to be a really solid gag manga if the writing was improved a little.

Personally, I voted for Morning Star. Sure, the story was pretty basic, but the artwork was really solid and there was a lot of room for there to be expansion in the story line. I have to admit that the ending was pretty hokey for the chapter that was submitted, but I suppose that it is a given since this was a one-shot. On the whole, I think that Morning Star has the most potential out of the entries up for voting in this competition.

As to whether these would be serialized though...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
lets go USA. but i voted for El Viento Del Norte.
But Boom may more potential.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
what only 6, I thought they will post at least 20. Sad I wanted to know what sort of manga fans can draw. Twisted Evil
Makeinu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
What, is no-one else intrigued by the fact that there are NO Japanese finalists? I found that more interesting than any of the entries.

I wonder if it's got something to do with there already being Japanese-only contests for Jump readers, not to mention that you could also directly submit your work to the editors at any time if you're a young, deluded hopeful.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to read all 6!

Boom: This was curde, rough and utterly vulgar...I liked it! I especially liked the main character and how all of the more important characters bounced so well off of him. While it's rough ness is a bit of a plus it definetly needs some polish in some areas but otherwise this was one of the better ones.

El Viento Del Norte: I'm always eager to see a badass female lead as the main character, it had a good flow and could work for a long term series, I did hold this one a bit higher than boom but then I read another submission...

Golden Rabbit: I feel this would have worked better as a childrens story and the art was a tad too cutsey for me but it has a heart and I didn't regret reading it. Unfortunatly I can't say that's enough to get my vote...

Morning Star: I was pleasently surpised with how much I liked this one. Yeah it felt like any other action treasure hunting flick but it was just a fun read seeing these two guys struggle and try to get out of this tomb alive. It definetly has potential in my book.

Sweat man: HAHAHAHAHA F***ING SWEAT MAN HAHAHAHA.... Frankly this was one of the lower works for me, the art was off and while I definetly found some things funny, I think it tried to take itself a bit too seriously. If it were more tounge in cheek I think I could have liked it more especially since it's been a while since I've gotten into a series where the maincharacter just has an out-right wierd power. I can't give it my vote.

I quickly stopped reading the vampire thing due to my disdain for vampires. Yeah that was biased as hell but oh well.

For now it's between Boom, Morning star and El Viento Del Norte (the north wind according to google translate) and it's hard for me to choose...

I think Boom worked best as a stand alone work, but both Morning star and El Viento felt like they could be expanded upon as series. Out of those two Morning star was the most fun, but North Wind had the main character and western flavor going for it that you don't usually see in manga. Boom to me worked best as a stand alone because it not only showed off the main character and his abilities and solved the main plot but there was nice character dynamic formed that could be expanded upon as well. Ah it's tough for me to pick...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1