• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Video Game & Software Sales Were Down 2% in 2013

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what's going to happen to gaming if this strike down of the net neutrality rules takes effect?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
down by 2%, should that be a concern to any of us gamers on ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Are you being sarcastic?

No I'm not, 2% doesn't concern me, if it was 10% or more, I would be very concern. but 2% doesn't really concern me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you just phrased your statement in a way that I wasn't sure.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh, you just phrased your statement in a way that I wasn't sure.

If I wanted to be sarcastic, I would've put an indicator for that like Laughing or this: spoiler[this is a sarcasm, not being serious.] in spoiler not to ruin the sarcasm.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Well I see I haven't bought a game in years its just there no good games anymore and consoles are just so expensive
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how anyone who likes games can say there are no good games.

You must simply not like video games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I don't blame them. There are many reasons: they're too busy, they don't like the new demographic, nostalgia goggles, bills on top of work and schooling, etc.

2% isn't much but I will agree that I haven't bought a new game in a while. My last purchases were Mario 3D World and a Link Between Worlds. Not much that's coming out in the future is tickling my fancy, all I can think of are Nintendo games (yeah I'm a fanboy and am fully aware of their troubles) including Triple Deluxe and Tropical Freeze. Still waiting impatiently for Pokemon Bank. I assure you that I'll crack in another 100 hours once I can use my old critters IN 3D!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the ever increasing download/add-ons after release for purchase when the stuff is already on the disc. I find a lot of new games annoying- needing downloads as they come out of the box. I want to go back to the old-school gaming days where when you paid $40 for a game you got the whole game at once, no downloads, no add-ons its done. Also a lot of the games now seem fun but their replay value/completion times are lacking.

To me its as if the games prices don't reflect a quality product anymore. It's just not worth buying when they are going to just phase everything within the next two years. I still plan to pick up one of the new consoles but nothing I want to play has come out yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well I see I haven't bought a game in years its just there no good games anymore and consoles are just so expensive

May I ask how old are you and when was the last time you play a game??
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I love computer simulations, remember those ? Laughing
They stopped making them a good 10 years ago. So as far as I'm concerned there are no good games being made anymore for the pc.
If you like FPS you're set.
If you like being nickled and dimed to death you're set.
If you like having advertising in your games you're set.
If you like not owning your games you're set.
If you like playing mindless dumb RPG games (ahm Dragon Age...) you're set.
A part from these yeah there are great games still being made. Rolling Eyes
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I love computer simulations, remember those ? Laughing
They stopped making them a good 10 years ago. So as far as I'm concerned there are no good games being made anymore for the pc.
If you like FPS you're set.
A part from these yeah there are great games still being made. Rolling Eyes
These are all pretty false.

Quote:
Man it was so great when great when console games were $90! Or when they would release $40 expansions.

Thats so much worse than $60 games that have many sales and maybe have a few packs of $15 expansion DLCS.

It's so terrible have to pay for a few DLC maps in games. So terrible that I rather not play the game even though in no way do they force me to buy their dlc.

For all you're guys claims of DLC, I really wonder how many games you actually play. I've played most of the big games of 2013 and have basicly DLC for none of them, because I don't need it. The games were pretty complete without them.

The Last of Us-Amazing single player with no need for DLC.

Tomb Raider-Great game, the DLC was all multi and un-needed.

Metro Last Light-Did'nt need DLC. Single player was more then enough.

Injustice-More fighters are always great, but I've had tons of fun with the base game.

Tales of Xillia-All the DLC is basically extra and un-needed.

Dragons Crown-There's DLC?

Metal Gear Rising-Needed more content for sure and well the DLC is free anyway.

Grand Theft Auto 5-More then enough content.

Battlefield 4-Yeah I will buy the DLC, always want more maps, but man are the maps in the game pretty amazing already.

and really this goes on and on like this. This DLC nickle and dimming thing you're claiming seems pretty false.

Quote:

I love computer simulations, remember those
What kind of SIMS are you talking about? Because car, train, plane, city, farming, military and whatever sims are pretty alive. Done by various developers who just do games like that and the fans looking for that in depth experience seem pretty happy.

Do you mean adventure games? Tall Tale makes tons of money with those type of games. Many indie developers are making those games. People like Tim Shafuer are back thanks to kickstarter as well.
Quote:
This is probably the most false, since it really dosen't happen that much in games and when it does it's fine. Don't really see the problem with adds in well games like 2k 13 where well Basketball games have ads. No ads in GTAV, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, CoD, ect ect.

There were adds in Yakuza 5 I guess, because well they try to have real products.

Quote:
I own all my console games because I have the discs. I can use them whenever.

For PC games, well I can't really see being really into PC gaming and not having online so the kind of DRM Steam has dosen't really bother me. And really at this point it's just an ideology diffrence. I'm not sure why people like to throw at the strange idea of now owning digital versions you buy, because the terminology of licencing, but whatever. To me it seems like something stuck up people try to use to rationalize their stuffy views. Because really at the end of the day it's no problem. These services like Steam have yet to really do anything wrong and so it's no problem.

Besides since again I'm not being nicked and dimed by Steam since games are so cheap, it's really not a problem.

Quote:
The first Dragon Age is'nt that bad and three looks better. Plus there is the Witcher Series, Dark Souls, and many kickstarter games like Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland.

Quote:
A part from these yeah there are great games still being made.
Kind of just looks like you're being narrow minded and not knowing what you're talking about.

But hey if you want to miss out on good things, be my guess. I don't have that problem so I really don't care.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Not sure about consoles, but games' prices are actually cheaper nowadays when one takes into inflation (and of course the fact many games' prices drop rapidly within a year, for example I got 2013's Tomb Raider for only $30 for Christmas, and it was even part of a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale to boot).

Also strongly disagree about no good games, I think 2013 was an incredibly excellent year for games: Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Mario 3D World, Zelda: ALBW, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Pokemon X/Y, Tearaway, Fire Emblem: Awakening, etc.
rydia251

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of historical prices, reminds me of this article. It's from 2010 and only compares 1993 prices, and from before DLC became what it is now but still relevant. PC games have had the equivalent of DLC for a long time, they just called them expansion packs. Things may have been worse in the 1980's, my memory from then is fuzzy and I have been visited by the Green Fairy this evening since my Broncos won, but I remember getting relatively few games and playing the crap out of them or trading with friends due to the price at the time being relatively high.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2