• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Applications for Japan Self Defense Force Increase by 20% Thanks to Moe

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Does this actually mean that otakus are actually going to become soldiers in Japan?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Yvan eht nioj

Sorry... couldn't help myself...
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Does this actually mean that otakus are actually going to become soldiers in Japan?

Ha! Ha! Ha! Laughing I giggle when I saw the headline for this article and laugh when I read your question. ^ ^ To answer your question, I guess so.

This is the most unique way I have heard of recruiting people to join a military force, and it reminds me of one of the reasons why I like Japan and think it's such a unique country. Although concerning the three mascots they don't look all that cute to me. They are cute in a general sense (as in how people in general would seem) but not to the point I would find them adorable or attractive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
military-inspired moe series like Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer.

Don't forget about Maritan Pixel.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-03/u.s-armed-forces-maritan-creators-joint-manga-posted
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Yvan eht nioj

Sorry... couldn't help myself...

"Join the Maritime Self-Defense Force" would be a real mouthful to say backwards.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Quote:
military-inspired moe series like Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer.

Don't forget about Maritan Pixel.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-08-03/u.s-armed-forces-maritan-creators-joint-manga-posted

No one could ever forget pixel martian. She is the rudest, crudest piece of moe to ever come out of the military.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQgGUEnMZrg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

That's my first thought when I read your comment. Makes me laug too BTW. Laughing

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if it work, I guess moe sell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you'll join the army just because a cartoon moe girl tells you too...well you're probably not going to be a very useful soldier. Unless the JSDF is planning to launch a new "Hiding out in your bedroom watching hentai" division anyway.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So, basically this is saying that men really are simple creatures.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ladymage Samiko wrote:
So, basically this is saying that men really are simple creatures.

Most men if not humans still think the lower part of their brain. so in short YES we are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you'll join the army just because a cartoon moe girl tells you too...well you're probably not going to be a very useful soldier. Unless the JSDF is planning to launch a new "Hiding out in your bedroom watching hentai" division anyway.

More useful or less useful than people enrolling after having watched Top Gun or The Hunt for the Red October in the eighties ? Every time you have the military presented as something cool, either through films and or cartoons/animes or videogames you'll have people enroll. It is basic brain washing. So no surprise it affects the Japanese as well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

More useful or less useful than people enrolling after having watched Top Gun or The Hunt for the Red October in the eighties ? Every time you have the military presented as something cool, either through films and or cartoons/animes or videogames you'll have people enroll. It is basic brain washing. So no surprise it affects the Japanese as well.

Yep true that. I remember Top Gun is being used as a recruitment tool (and so does video game, ie: Call of Duty Modern Warfare, America's Army).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Otakus on the battlefield, bleeding: "S-shit! Where's the reset button?! Where are my other two lives?!"
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
So they're quite literally trying to create the moe army.
Toester_Strudel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess this proves that moe is a damn effective way to grab attention or make sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3