• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Symantec Warns of Malware on Manga Scanlation Services

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Good job using scare tactic # xxxxxxx.xxxx

I am sure this will scare some green horns to buy tons of manga instead, next week, manga sales in the US will rise 1000% Laughing

Granted ads are novice anywhere, not just "scanlation services", lets begin with goggle and all its data harvesting prowess shall we, NO, let begin with the USA gov... Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I don't think it's scare tactic, malware can happen on any website (whether the website is legal or not). But yeah, I'm not surprised manga scanlation sites may be good area to put malware (and also viruses, and spywares). Those sites are not professionally protected like legal websites (Crunchyroll etc...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't think it's scare tactic, malware can happen on any website (whether the website is legal or not).

Exactly one of my points, it happens in so many sites not just scanlations sites, hence why I said, why not look at others first and make an alarming title for them as well..., and data harvesting is done and condoned and even accepted when its all done by your fav social or legal company... so yea, its BAD, but its not just scanlations sites.

This is more an issue to know where to actually read your scanlations and where to go on the net to obtain x thing (and if not a MUST never give real data) and then exercise precautions using firefox and appropriate plugins (who does not know ad block plus?) at the least to mitigate malware and adware (and viruses) that are EVERYWHERE on the net.

It would have been good if the site mentioned specific sites so anyone using scanlations avoid them like the plague but it was not the case..

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
scanlation website alot of malware. Even my virus scanner warm me about some of the ads on those website. Most websites don't have those issue. Only the websites that have those kinds ads always have many malware and scalation websites love those ads.

Good website doesn't have those problem because they create their own ads or no ads at all.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Honestly, as long as you're practicing safe-browsing practices, I don't see the majority of them being any worse than the average site. Unless you're diving into some really seedy territory. But I doubt the most popular scanlation sites are actively doing this.

As always: Run at least an adblocker, and running noscript as well is also a good idea, and there isn't much that can get to you. The vast majority of the issues come from malicious ad banners.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Honestly, as long as you're practicing safe-browsing practices, I don't see the majority of them being any worse than the average site. Unless you're diving into some really seedy territory. But I doubt the most popular scanlation sites are actively doing this.

As always: Run at least an adblocker, and running noscript as well is also a good idea, and there isn't much that can get to you. The vast majority of the issues come from malicious ad banners.

Exactly.

And do not forget plugins to prevent such data harvesting for the privacy conscious as well, along some nice plugins for top notch protection:

-Ad block plus
-No script
-https everywhere
-Do not track me
-Google disconnect
-Better privacy
-Google privacy
-Self Destruct cookies

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Exactly.

And do not forget plugins to prevent such data harvesting for the privacy conscious as well, along some nice plugins for top notch protection:

-Ad block plus
-No script
-Do not track me
-Google disconnect
-Better privacy
-Google privacy
-Self Destruct cookies

And let's not forget this one last step:

-A good Antivirus software: make sure it can detect Spyware, Malware, trojans. Make sure it's up to date, have the anti-virus software update set up automatically on a daily basis. Use a good one from Norton (which I use), Mcafee, etc...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Exactly.

-Ad block plus
-No script
-Do not track me
-Google disconnect
-Better privacy
-Google privacy
-Self Destruct cookies

And let's not forget this one last step:

-A good Antivirus software: make sure it can detect Spyware, Malware, trojans. Make sure it's up to date, have the anti-virus software update set up automatically on a daily basis. Use a good one from Norton (which I use), Mcafee, etc...

Definitely.

I think even a simple free one like Microsoft security essentials suffice for someone conscious and that knows where to dwell on the net (not those obscure scanlations sites the article probably caught with very bad malware and adware), for some other files, as long as files size permits, always pass them through virustotal, I am thinking more applications for virustotal.

Aside from ad block plus which is a MUST, I highly recommend self destruct cookies, as the title implies once you leave a site, it destructs any cookies it has implanted so it cannot track you anymore once you leave the site, of course you can set it so it destruct them one you close your browser (or whitelist a site you trust) but not recommended for top protection. Its annoying to login to sites every single time but instead you wont be tracked and sites wont know your browsing habits.

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'm rather nebulous on anti-virus software these days, unless you're incredibly web inept. Newer studies have shown that they basically don't catch a large percentage of viruses. Especially when the biggest infections are zero-day exploits, etc.

I've gotten exactly one virus in like 15 years, and knew exactly when I got it, because it was a misclick in the first place. Immediately ran the symantec free online scan and cleaned it up.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Definitely.

I think even a simple free one like Microsoft security essentials suffice for someone conscious and that knows where to dwell on the net (not those obscure scanlations sites the article probably caught with very bad malware and adware), for some other files, as long as files size permits, always pass them through virustotal, I am thinking more applications for virustotal.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Microsoft security essentials (I also have that too). Yeah that's for free and is proven to be effective. For me, my Norton is for free because I subscribed to Comcast (when you signed up with Comcast internet as provider, you can download Norton Antivirus for free).

I'm sort of glad ANN posted up this article from Symantec. I hope any of our readers that go to scanlation can now be more aware.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I'm sort of glad ANN posted up this article from Symantec. I hope any of our readers that go to scanlation can now be more aware.

Well there are now some good tips as well in the comments, but I am sure the intended intention is: look those manga are available in the US, scanlations sites are bad, infect you with vurises and malware, buy the physical copies instead Laughing

Its funny I suddenly remembered years ago about playing copies of cds/dvds, and companies kept telling they could damage your player Wink . In the end the only real danger was the rootkits SONY implanted in the case of cds 8 years ago Laughing
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Or read your scanlated manga using a sandboxed or nontargeted device like a tablet or phone. I buy nearly all licenced physical manga I am interested in but read it first via scanlations on such a device due to the time delay. Not interested in the digital offerings for manga since we have seen digital "ownership" just evaporate in the past, and physical copies are a bit behind, but I will buy them regardless.

Haven't had a noticeable malware problem yet on the iPad/iPhone and I hit a scanlation site nearly every day. Also a reinstall plus backup recovery is trivial on an iPad compared to a laptop (Mac or Windows, but especially Windows), can't speak for an Android device though.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

I am sure this will scare some green horns to buy tons of manga instead, next week, manga sales in the US will rise 1000% Laughing

*sigh* Rolling Eyes Sorry to say, but that really sounds self-deluding. Not only are you glossing over the fact that these malware attacks are happening because of site advertisements that generate what even mainstream manga pirates would consider "unconscionable" profits, but you're also neglecting the statistics that indicate spikes in piracy for content that's already legally licensed and available in the United States. Not only are the manga services involved acting questionably by even pirate standards, but the readership is also acting outside the oft-touted mantras that piracy is "to help access content that isn't being made available in our country".

The fact that you're even trying to suggest to other people that cobbling together 3rd party plugins will keep you safe on malware-ridden sites just goes to show how desperate you are to defend them. Not only are these sites largely in it just for the money, but they also lack the professionalism of legitimate sites to properly monitor and address malware issues in their advertising systems. Really, it's not that Symantec is using a scare tactic, it's that you're using a denial tactic --- you know that what they're saying is true, but you want to look the other way and pretend it's not the problem you know it is.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

*sigh* Rolling Eyes Sorry to say, but that really sounds self-deluding. Not only are you glossing over the fact that these malware attacks are happening because of site advertisements that generate what even mainstream manga pirates would consider "unconscionable" profits, but you're also neglecting the statistics that indicate spikes in piracy for content that's already legally licensed and available in the United States. Not only are the manga services involved acting questionably by even pirate standards, but the readership is also acting outside the oft-touted mantras that piracy is "to help access content that isn't being made available in our country".

The fact that you're even trying to suggest to other people that cobbling together 3rd party plugins will keep you safe on malware-ridden sites just goes to show how desperate you are to defend them. Not only are these sites largely in it just for the money, but they also lack the professionalism of legitimate sites to properly monitor and address malware issues in their advertising systems. Really, it's not that Symantec is using a scare tactic, it's that you're using a denial tactic --- you know that what they're saying is true, but you want to look the other way and pretend it's not the problem you know it is.

BIG LOL.

I am not denying anything and no-one is, then why are we giving tips?

Now you legitimate sites are the ones harvesting the more data on you because many times you do have to give your real data, you are the one on denial, believing that because its "legitimate" its protecting you and your data.

Malware is everywhere even on "professional" legitimate sites, but exactly like I said, some people dont give it the importance and level of danger it actually represents, condone it and even accept it while aware of it, google ads and harvesting of data are as harmful as any malware and harvesting of data of any obscure scanlation site.

I will only comment on that, I dont feel like arguing the piracy debate right now.

If you dont use scanlations, great, anyone that does has been now warned if you wish and SHOULD BE conscious and use safe browsing habits BUT NOT ONLY on scanlation sites.

The whole net is like sex now, one cannot go unprotected as there are many risks everywhere.

AND YES, just like sex you can protect against malware... Laughing

If you dont think the safe browsing practices that are mentioned here can protect you just shows you are talking out of ignorance, they can protect you, obviously not 100%, common sense applies combined with other precautions as well, but for browsing habits, ads, malware derived from such ads, many of which are passed around when you click on them yes, with pop ups that you need to click to close, etc, they do, any hijacks that sites might try on you, yes, they are prevented too along with many other nasty practices, noone is denying them, but this article is most likely derived from very obscure sites that are INDEED A DANGER and its better to avoid them and anyone using scanlations should stick to the more known ones that are sure to not use as nasty ads with malware and with the tips provided they will be 99% safe.

Now it wold have been good to know exactly which sites are infesting with malware, sadly the article do not specify, any big re-known and famous site using harmful ads infecting malware would be never be condoned by anyone, pirates would immediately ditch it and the site likely over for good overnight.

Last edited by dan9999 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Thing is, a lot of people use manga as disposable entertainment. They're not really invested in it at all, they merely read it because its there, free, and easy to get to. They suck at searching for better sites, and don't even care really.

You compare the readership volumes on a more reputable scanlation site like (starts with a B) that doesn't profit from the manga, to the most popular NOEZ-based sites, and their readership is like 5x higher. And, seems foolish to me, they even tweet and post on facebook about what they read on those sites. They don't care.

Even with my meager income since I'm still going to school, I still manage to pull together importing around 100 volumes per year. So my conscience is clear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3