• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Takamatsu: Current Anime Can't Use the Word 'Olympics'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Restricting even talking about it is not good sportsmanship spirit. Sad
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Heck, nobody can use it. For my work, even if I vendor mentions it in the product we need to modify it. Unless you are a sponsor good luck using it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
This has to be the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Even if it does kind of feel like poetic justice considering how ridiculous Japan can get when it comes to copyright, the Olympics are supposed to be an example of peace, international cooperation and fair play. That the Olympics name and logo are private property sounds so mind-numbingly idiotic I can't even wrap my head around it.

On another note, Rin from Free mentioned more than once that he dreamt of becoming an Olympic swimmer. Did KyoAni pay the giganormous fee or does the Olympic committe not have the time to watch hot guys in swimming trunks to make sure their name isn't used without their permission?
Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
It is ridiculous that people can't even mention the word. "Olympics" isn't used solely to refer to the current events in Sochi, but also past games, the series of games in general, the historical games back in ancient Greece, and future games too (as in "I want to go to the Olympics and win gold"). And yet the trademark is a blanket ban on the word unless you are a sponsor or otherwise pay the IOC exorbitant fees. What a crock.

That said, I wonder why anime and manga don't use "Games" instead. As in, "I can't believe I actually made it to the Games."
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
On another note, Rin from Free mentioned more than once that he dreamt of becoming an Olympic swimmer. Did KyoAni pay the giganormous fee or does the Olympic committe not have the time to watch hot guys in swimming trunks to make sure their name isn't used without their permission?
Laughing

Right now in Hajime no Ippo there's a character introduced as an Olympic Gold Medalist, and they keep bringing it up. I think they can find ways around it, avoiding to mention the Olympics itself.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
Next thing you know, you'll be telling me I can't use "Super Bowl" or the phrase "Let's get ready to rumble!"

[USER WAS SUED BY MICHAEL BUFFER]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42's post also reminded me of an episode of Hetalia in which France and Greece discuss about something (that included men performing athletic deeds while naked) which ultimately leads to the invention of the modern Olympic games. So I guess it's just one of those things that are regulated but no one really cares about it? Still mind-blowingly stupid nonetheless
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
So they can't use it by name, but Tokyo ordinances will probably ruin the manga and anime industry to trying to "clean it up" for international audiences.
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote
What's the picture from? Is that Yawara?
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Call it the Olympic Mountain Range Sporting Competition. Then tell the IOC to piss off as they cannot claim trademarks on the name of a mountain range in Washington.

Really not a fan of the Olympics and all the political BS that comes with them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
They could also pull a WcDonald's and call them Polympic Games or someting like that
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
SarcotarascusN wrote:
What's the picture from? Is that Yawara?

I believe so.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
I think it can probably fly under the radar by being mentioned in passing, but it can't be shown or be a major plot point. (And yes, that's Yawara.)

The IOC is really cracking down on this stuff. Crossfit just had to stop referring to its weight lifting movements as "Olympic weight lifting," despite all of them being Olympic lifts. Although that's understandable, since that's a big business and there was probably an issue with Crossfit coaches calling themselves "certified Olympic weightlifting instructors".
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Olympic is a word that was in general use in English and other languages before and after the modern Olympic movement began. It is not copyrightable.

I expect that this issue will eventually get to the US Supreme court, or one in another country, and the IOC will be handed their collective heads.

Until then is a gold mine for lawyers. Razz

Mark Gosdin
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
They had better retroactively sue the White Star Line for using Olympic as the name of a ship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2