• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Earth Defense Force 2025

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The value proposition is a little skewed this time around, since EDF 2017 cost $20 new, this one costs $50

No, Dave, you're wrong on this little bit. EDF 2017 also launched at $50, because I remember splitting the cost of it with a friend when 2017 originally came out in 2007. EDF 2025 is being priced the same exact way the one before it was priced, so you can't dock it in terms of its "value" when compared to the previous one.
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
That's surprises me. I grabbed the game not long after it came out and paid $20. I didn't think that was due to an extreme price drop. I've corrected the factual error, thanks.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
daveriley wrote:
That's surprises me. I grabbed the game not long after it came out and paid $20. I didn't think that was due to an extreme price drop. I've corrected the factual error, thanks.

No problem. I'm sure some places lowered the price relatively quickly, but I know it was $50 on release &, at least where I live, didn't really hit ~$20 until about 6 months to a year later.
Enner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice review.

Regarding the Fencer's lack of mobility, there is a method that involves using moves such as a shield's deflector (the RB/LB or R1/L1 move) to cancel the animation of a melee weapon's forward dash to immediately allow another forward dash. "Shield Canceling" has many Fencer users saying that they can get around as fast as any other class, Wing Diver included.

It is a shame that some of the starting weapons can give a class a really bad first impression. This is especially true of the Air Raider and Fencer classes. It requires a lot of patience to get past those classes starter weapons to the laser-guided cruise missiles, mine launchers that shoot in packs, big swords that shoot energy waves, and a Gatling gun worth a damn.

It took me and a buddy 34 and a half hours to finish the game on Normal, and that's with replaying a lot of missions on higher difficulty levels to get far superior weapons. The latter of the 85 missions have some neat moments that I wish were shown earlier. Oh, and 85 missions is too much.

One thing that surprised and delighted me was the story telling. If you pay attention to the scripted dialogue over the radio and the chatter of your fellow EDF soldiers, then you might find a story thread that is surprisingly competent or well-done. Of note is the squad chatter where it turns from the gung-ho shouts of the earlier missions to something more weightier and desperate in the final missions of the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1