• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canadian Valkyria Chronicles Singer Himeka Searches for New Label

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Uh, yikes.

If she needs more time than this (highly likely), she could maybe teach English or something. Unless her visa says she can only be a singer, I don't think she'd be barred from working in another industry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it quite unusual for J-Pop singers to change labels? I was under the impression they're typically under their managers' thumb, and if they won't play along...

Here's an example of how these companies tend to micromanage their stars' careers.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Uh, yikes.

If she needs more time than this (highly likely), she could maybe teach English or something. Unless her visa says she can only be a singer, I don't think she'd be barred from working in another industry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it quite unusual for J-Pop singers to change labels? I was under the impression they're typically under their managers' thumb, and if they won't play along...

Here's an example of how these companies tend to micromanage their stars' careers.

Looking at a lot of the biggest J-Pop singers, they seem to all have changed labels 2 or 3 times in 10 years time, sometimes more. IMO the real problem is that HIMEKA just wasnt anything more than a novelty...nothing special about her except that she was from Canada
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
She was probably over on a work Visa so her label was her sponsor, so now that she is effectively not employed she needs a new label to sponsor her or she will have to leave Japan.

A lot of people don't realize you just can't pack a bag and move to Japan and live their forever or as long as you want. They are very strict on who can immigrate and usually it's only for specialty jobs only that they can't produce locally and if the job ends so does your stay. So no I'm going to work at the local Lawson or 7-11.

I doubt she will find one. She has a amazing voice but other than her first single I didn't think she could make it when their is so much local talent who are major idol/pop stars to compete with.

Also it's very hard to switch over to a teaching Visa. I doubt she has any teaching experience and it's a long process for the JET Program.

I wish her all the best and hope she lived up the experience.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I first read about this from Japanator last week (you're late, ANN. Mad). Good luck to her if she can find a new label.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan or anything, but did enjoy Himeka at 5pb Live (Tokyo Dome City Hall 23 November 2013), see also:

http://5pb.jp/live5pb/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrYdYZgfF4

It did concern me from what I could notice while she was on stage that she hadn't gotten comfortable with the Japanese language yet.

If she had a bachelor of Education, she could possibly teach English or French in Japan.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Yup a four year degree would help. Surprised she hasn't gotten hitched to a local.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/HlMEKA/status/477379252011032577

【拡散希望】5年間日本でアニソンシンガーとして活動していたカナダケベック州出身「HIMEKA」です。最近フリーになって、ビザの更新できずに帰国してしまいました。どうしても日本で歌手の活動を続けたくて、興味があるレーベルはぜひご連絡下さい。[email protected]

So she's back in Quebec but still interested in working in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1