Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stand By Me Doraemon 3D CG Film's Full Trailer Posted




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CastMember1991



Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 659
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
This definitely SCREAMS a limited US release. GKIDS should think about bringing this to the States, since they do like obscure releases with dedicated fanbases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StudioToledo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Toledo, U.S.A.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
This definitely SCREAMS a limited US release. GKIDS should think about bringing this to the States, since they do like obscure releases with dedicated fanbases.

That would seem ideal given how the film doesn't expect you to know of these characters or the series itself before coming to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty much the self-contained beginning, sample and end(?) for anyone who's never heard of the character--Rather like "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" would play in Japan.
There were attempts to bring the other movies over here, but this plays more like an "American adaptation" than, say, Viz trying to bring "Nobita & the Green Giant" over.

Sure seems to be playing the "finale" angle, though (since the manga famously never had a finale); does this mean the 2014 anime-series reboot might be wrapping up as well?
When they go to 3D CGI, it's usually the last gasp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CastMember1991



Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 659
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
There were attempts to bring the other movies over here, but this plays more like an "American adaptation" than, say, Viz trying to bring "Nobita & the Green Giant" over.


Well, that turned out not to be true. Someone just typed that in on Wikipedia back in 2008 just to troll people. Viz never even said anything about bringing any of the movies to the States.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
There were attempts to bring the other movies over here, but this plays more like an "American adaptation" than, say, Viz trying to bring "Nobita & the Green Giant" over.


Well, that turned out not to be true. Someone just typed that in on Wikipedia back in 2008 just to troll people. Viz never even said anything about bringing any of the movies to the States.


Good. Frankly, boy, did Green Giant jump the ol' sharkeroo. Rolling Eyes

This new one doesn't look as good as most of the assembly-line extended-episode features we'd gotten before Green Giant, eg. Nobita & the Magical World, but it does look like a good intro if you only had one to export.
Now would be a good time to start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
StudioToledo



Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 847
Location: Toledo, U.S.A.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
It's pretty much the self-contained beginning, sample and end(?) for anyone who's never heard of the character--Rather like "Mr. Peabody & Sherman" would play in Japan.

That's a good analogy to make there. I don't expect those guys to have been like me and stayed up til midnight watching those cartoons on a lonely UHF station every Saturday night 30 years ago.

Quote:
There were attempts to bring the other movies over here, but this plays more like an "American adaptation" than, say, Viz trying to bring "Nobita & the Green Giant" over.

Would.

Quote:
Sure seems to be playing the "finale" angle, though (since the manga famously never had a finale); does this mean the 2014 anime-series reboot might be wrapping up as well?
When they go to 3D CGI, it's usually the last gasp.

Who knows, at least it looks OK to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group