• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Feature Oscar Rules Changed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wanna see more anime being put up into these things x-x. idk why but I take it would be a good way for people who aren't necessarily familiar with it to know more about it and see how equally great it is to movies like Toy Story 3 and others.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
I kinda wanna see more anime being put up into these things x-x. idk why but I take it would be a good way for people who aren't necessarily familiar with it to know more about it and see how equally great it is to movies like Toy Story 3 and others.

Well now at least there is a greater chance for them to show up.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Too bad this change happened after the year Summer Wars got submitted for a nomination. Sad

Regardless, I see this as a welcome change. The more chances for additional nominations, the better. At least this way, more animated films that fly under the radar can sneak in, and thus gain more exposure.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Between this and the fact that Cars 2 came out this year, there'd be a decent chance for something like Summer Wars or a Miyazaki film to win.

Are there are anime films coming out this year that could get a push to be eligible for a nomination?

(I'm actually expecting Winnie the Pooh to win even though it's getting mixed reviews so far)
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Too bad this change happened after the year Summer Wars got submitted for a nomination. Sad .
Yeah, no joke. >.>

Assuming it's as good as peepz have said, hope Arietty at least nabs a nom next year.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Too bad this change happened after the year Summer Wars got submitted for a nomination. Sad

Exactly. I mean, it probably wouldn't have beaten TS3 anyway, but it would have gotten a lot more exposure. Plus it would have been pretty rad for FUNi since their handling of both the dub and the release was phenomenal.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Who cares the Oscar and all awards shows are fixed
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
So. Fingers crossed for Redline nom next year?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Animation is still pretty much an overlook at these awards shows anyway, and I really wouldn't trust America's opinion on animation regardless.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Redline debuted in 2009, and while I'm not all that familiar with Oscar nomination requirements, I don't think a 3 year old movie is eligible.
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Regardless, I see this as a welcome change. The more chances for additional nominations, the better. At least this way, more animated films that fly under the radar can sneak in, and thus gain more exposure.
Agreed, so much agreed.

I doubt it would have won at all but for it to be nominated would have given it so much more exposure that I think it deserves.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
I want to see anime up there but there's one little problem...they ONLY animated films they nominated are family films and that's BS because movies like Ghost In The Shell and Akira OWN everything Ghibli's ever made with their superior animation and more mature stories and themes. Personally, I'd rather watch Street Fighter II The Animated movie over anything Ghibli movie.

Not that I dislike softer and less harsh stories, but knowing that there's a biased system of nominations makes the Oscars so much more pointless than it already has become in the past decade.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Persepolis and Waltz for Bashir family films.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Not really a fan of the Academy Awards (one has to wonder about some of their choices for category winners), but if this helps to increase the exposure of animation titles, even if they don't win, then I look on that as a positive thing.
JDuks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
The academy is pretty nationalist. You rarely see foreign titles in any categories, so I doubt we'll see that much more anime in the animation category. Usually they nominate one once in a while, so they can get some "culture points".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3