• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xbox One Ships 5 Million Units Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
That's not bad, but I was hoping to see it sell more. Oh well, let see how it does after this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Five million is respectable, though I am delighted the the PS4 is outselling it.

Shipping five million is not the same as selling five million. Just thought that needed to be mentioned.

2.9 games per console is pretty weak. Did everyone just buy it for Titanfall, Forza Motorsport 5 and Xbox Fitness? LOL, okay, maybe that last one was a joke.

Funny how the XBox One is being lauded for selling lots of games when it was supposed to be more of an ultimate media & entertainment hub thingy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

That's not bad, but I was hoping to see it sell more. Oh well, let see how it does after this.

It's only available in the same 13 countries as when it launched last year. PS4 is already available in 52 countries plus Japan - PS4 would do about similar too if it's still stuck with just 13 countries. XB1 would expand to 26 more countries but not till Sept, so in the meantime the 13 countries are getting saturated, plus it's still $100 more expensive and won't be similar price as PS4 till the next holiday season most likely.

What's a bit surprising is the 360 still selling 2.7 million games a month. That's a lot at the end of gen life. 360 already has the highest games attachment rate last gen, and that will just add to it. That and 49% of the software market share with XB1 is impressive since gaming is not as it used to be.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say, it's not exactly fair given country shipping.

Anyhoo, the 360 still has games coming out for it, and its apps allow it to do a lot (I use it as a backup cable box between the Verizon app and HBO Go), so it's no surprise it still has value. How long that value lasts is another matter.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
ships does NOT mean sold.

they got like a full cabinet of them at my local target but the PS4s are sold out.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

It's only available in the same 13 countries as when it launched last year. PS4 is already available in 52 countries plus Japan - PS4 would do about similar too if it's still stuck with just 13 countries. XB1 would expand to 26 more countries but not till Sept, so in the meantime the 13 countries are getting saturated, plus it's still $100 more expensive and won't be similar price as PS4 till the next holiday season most likely.

What's a bit surprising is the 360 still selling 2.7 million games a month. That's a lot at the end of gen life. 360 already has the highest games attachment rate last gen, and that will just add to it. That and 49% of the software market share with XB1 is impressive since gaming is not as it used to be.

No, last time I checked the ps4 is still outselling the one in the US, not to mention in Japan the one will probably have poor sales through its life, and the only other country I heard about having direct comparisons, the UK, the ps4 was also outselling the one. The extra countries the ps4 is released in don't make up that difference, and if they would the one would have shipped to those regions a long time ago.

Do honestly think a company would do a price cut like they did with the titanfall bundle this early into the consoles life, before selling the console in regions that would bridge the gap. Probably not.

I am not going to say there would be no difference, but the gap would probably still be fairly distant even if they were all sold in the same countries at the same time, given the sales in some of the bigger markets.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
^ That is a good point. Even if they're sold in the same countries, there's still one big thing that can't be made up, and that's the price difference. Almost nobody can make up that ground until prices become competitive unless you're Apple.

(I usually treat Japan as separate since it's such an outlier that if XB1 is discounted even cheaper than the 3DS there and it still wouldn't matter; works beyond regular market forces.)
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
I was really expecting it to have sold 5 million; the fact that they didn't report the actual sales numbers is rather suspicious. The PS4 isn't even doing that great in Japan at the moment, but it's still killing. Having said that, the XB1 is still the third fastest selling console of all time...not exactly like it's in its death throes. Here's hoping Mario Kart 8 moves a lot of WiiUs as that's the console that is really in trouble.

Last edited by varmintx on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
The countries MS has yet to launch XB1 in are markets where the 360 performed poorly. I wouldn't expect much ground to be made from those areas.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
PS4 outsold Xbox One in March while Titanfall led software sales

Just read this moments ago after seeing it linked from the New York Times.

On what constitutes a sale:
Quote:
Microsoft announced that it sold 311,000 units in the US in March, and said that the console had surpassed 5 million units sold-in -- meaning only sold to retailers, not purchased by consumers -- worldwide. Despite Sony's lead, it did not disclose sales figures for the PlayStation 4 for March alone.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

The countries MS has yet to launch XB1 in are markets where the 360 performed poorly. I wouldn't expect much ground to be made from those areas.

Some like Korea and South Africa where the 360 did relatively well. Some like Israel and Argentina the 360 didn't launch at all till 5 or more years later, but this time the XB1 will launch within a year. So there's room.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Here's hoping Mario Kart 8 moves a lot of WiiUs as that's the console that is really in trouble.

I doubt it. The 3DS is outselling the WiiU by leaps and bounds. Chances are people who really want to play MK8 (this girl right here Wink ) already own a 3DS and thus won't be rushing out to buy a WiiU anytime soon. If they want to start pushing the system, they need to be releasing more and more desirable WiiU exclusives, not just nintendo exclusives since in a lot of way the 3DS is cannibalizing the WiiU's sales.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Here's hoping Mario Kart 8 moves a lot of WiiUs as that's the console that is really in trouble.

Games aren't the WiiU's problem. It has games. Plenty of games. More games than Xbone and PS4 do combined in fact. The issue is a shift in markets and attitudes. All the games in the world isn't going to change that.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
varmintx wrote:

Games aren't the WiiU's problem. It has games. Plenty of games. More games than Xbone and PS4 do combined in fact. The issue is a shift in markets and attitudes. All the games in the world isn't going to change that.

It's also a deeply unappealling product as well, which obviously doesn't help it's case any either. The controller they came up with for it was a huge mistake.

I was genuinely shocked to read that the PS4 had outsold the Wii U's life to date sales already. What a ridiculous turnaround from the early days of the Wii and PS3.

Nintendo have seriously messed up. I think they're done in the home console space.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
Nintendo have seriously messed up. I think they're done in the home console space.

Yes, Nintendo did screw themselves over with their poor marketing of the WiiU and their poorly-made WiiU Gamepad, but I wouldn't necessarily call it quits for them yet, if Mario Kart 8 is anything to go by...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2