• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Suppresses Yen Press Titles in Dispute with Hachette

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Yet another reason for me to do my anime/manga related purchasing through Right Stuf.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I have stopped shopping on amazon over a year ago. They have gotten to big. So now it has gone to their head.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This makes me glad that I minimize my entertainment spending through Amazon.

Rightstuf for anime and manga, company sites for video games. If those don't work out, then I'll go to Amazon. But... it's not really my preferred source, and now I have yet another reason for it to fall further on down that list.

That said, as the NY Times article explains, this is hardly the first time Amazon has thrown around its clout to milk more out of its suppliers. It's disgustingly unethical, but it's not illegal, so there's not much that can be done about it aside from ceasing to shop there.

It is kind of disappointing to see such short-sighted tactics used by a major internet retailer, though. Don't they realize this kind of activity can destroy a company's reputation? Nobody wants to buy things from a bully, after all.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
So essentially Amazon thinks that they should be getting a better deal than what they had? They really are becoming the Wal-Mart of online stores if that's their way of negotiating.

It's still available from 3rd party sellers on their site with prices w/ shipping charges included that are around what Amazon is charging right now just for the book.

Hopefully this doesn't start happening with their anime DVDs/BRs. Although I have noticed that they personally have not carried the last few Media Blasters releases at all(Juden Chan is the last one they stocked).
Collectonian

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I wondered why Book Girl v1 was showing such a ridiculously long date when I went to get another copy recently. I ended up ordering a used copy from an Amazon marketplace buyer, got it in a few days, and it looked new.

I do the bulk of my entertainment shopping from Amazon because they generally have the lowest prices and the lower free shipping threshold. It's also where I usually get gift cards to.

I do like Right Stuf as well, though they seem to have an incredible knack for holding a sale I want lots of stuff from when I have no more fun money to spend for the month Razz I've also snagged a few items from them via their Amazon marketplace store. LOL
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like yet another reason that Amazon needs more serious competition - especially in the e-book market. Amazon is great overall, but they've become too close to being a monopoly, and so they wield too much power, and it's ultimately bad for consumers.

Fortunately, I buy very little anime or manga from amazon these days (mostly from rightstuf), so this sort of tactic is unlikely to affect me for anime or manga, but there's plenty of other stuff that I buy from amazon, and it's not good to hear that they've been acting this way. I really need to try harder to find better deals elsewhere rather than buying from amazon.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
So that's why The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya is undiscounted on Amazon.com.
ShinRPGamer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Good news is that on Amazon Canada for Higurashi at least, the price has not been affected so this is the one time Canadian consumers have the upper hand.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I like Rightstuf too, where you can easily get support and have much better search, sort, browsing organization, with changes they've made.

I'll try to use Rightstuf first and are my primary anime source, but Amazon seems to have much more stock for manga.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
how is telling people a competitors item in stock 'might take weeks to ship' not illegal in most states?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wow their tactics seem..pretty childish and underhanded.

I'm glad the only Yen Press manga series that i want to buy is K-On. I use Amazon but mostly for used/like new anime, or those from other sellers. For new things, its Right Stuf, especially when sale times come around, when i usually stock up. Still I'd hate for a conflict like this to happen to Seven Seas, Funimation, or Sentai, as those are what I usually buy.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Rightstuf is my main and I only go to Amazon if there's any OoP manga/anime.
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
And this is why I don't buy manga through Amazon. Most of the manga's I buy are usually in-store at Barnes & Nobles but other manga that can't be found in-stores, I always choose Right Stuf.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Publishers are trying to hold the line partly for their own money's sake and partly because they're trying to keep competitors like brick-and-mortar stores alive in the marketplace landscape. But people prefer shopping online now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Wow, how childish and two-faced. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4